Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I've never used or had a need for anything bigger than #6 field loads. 95% of my shots are #7.5 AA Super Sport or Super-Handicap. Put the shot where it needs to be and you'll be just fine.

Are you saying Rhino might be over doing something? :D

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I run with 1oz. #6's at FNS and have no problem dusting the plates.( just ask anyone who shooots after me! :D :laugh:)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never used or had a need for anything bigger than #6 field loads. 95% of my shots are #7.5 AA Super Sport or Super-Handicap. Put the shot where it needs to be and you'll be just fine.

You don't have a cylinder bore, though, do you?

At last year's KY State Multi-gun, I used #6 (don't recall the shot weight or charge) on a stage and just made the popper wiggle. They were painted between shooters, so it was obvious that I was hitting with a significant portion of the pattern, but it wasn't enough.

So it's going to depend on the specific gun/choke/load combination and how heavy the steel is set.

There is also the issue with heavy steel plates. I doubt if AtlantaCC has any that heavy, but they had steel plates at Deer Creek that we used to shoot that wouldn't fall over with much less than #4. That wasn't a problem though, because #4 used to be the standard for 3-gun and for shooting pins with shotguns. In fact, most clubs around here specified #4 as the minimum size of shot to minimize splashback (which was common when shooting pins). We often used bowling pins as targets in 3-gun matches too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You don't have a cylinder bore, though, do you?

I used #6 (don't recall the shot weight or charge) on a stage and just made the popper wiggle.
    I had a similar experience at Blackwater in VA in a shotgun side match. You basically shot 6 or 7 Alley's and one of the farthest targets in one of the alleys went all Hooey on me. I shot the crap out of it and finally just gave up. I was using an M1 with Cyl choke. Yeah the target was gummed up and they adjusted my score but if I had some larger shot I could have solved the problem. No choke tubes on the gun either.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think I have enough ammo capacity for this match. :D

news12pics_003.jpg

And, Dave, I am still not ready for multi-gun, yet.

wow what else can you say to that

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    So when you are shooting a match with your Saiga and drum mag, when you run dry, do you dump the drum mag on the ground?

Yep, the MD20 drum is very well made, I have dropped from chest high on my basement floor and it still is good to go.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Last time I shot up at Wildcat which has been ...2 yrs ago...... Geeze I really had planned going up there regular, I had an great time and Ive heard nothing but good about Atlanta lately.
    Any way to the point of this post I have only shot a small handful of three gun matches with the intention of shooting more, but I was told by a friend that does this with regularity that #6 with 1 1/8 ounce through his Benelli's worked rather well on steel plates and poppers. my problem on a couple of stages was allowing the damn things time to drop. Apparently they were on there way down but in my greenhorn make an impression don't look bad haste I shot a couple twice due to the fact they weren't falling fast enough. :dunno:
    So I was green.
    I am looking forward to this match and am glad some one came up with the idea that could act on it much easier than I could.
    It seems in some areas the girly men are afraid of horrendously punishing recoil of their shotties. :D Its what 410's were made for Rosy!

I

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    See, with #4s, there's no waiting. :D

Of course, you can run the risk of getting "the squirrel" mad at you when you break one of the swinging clay holders at the 2008 KY State Mult-gun when you shoot it. Not that I know anything about that from personal experience or anything.

Yeah, that's why I brought some #6 loads to the match last year. The results were unsatisfactory on steel on the stages when I was still alert enough to care (that was a LONG match last year). That's why my squad was laughing at me when steel didn't go down.

Last time I shot up at Wildcat which has been ...2 yrs ago...... Geeze I really had planned going up there regular, I had an great time and Ive heard nothing but good about Atlanta lately.
    Any way to the point of this post I have only shot a small handful of three gun matches with the intention of shooting more, but I was told by a friend that does this with regularity that #6 with 1 1/8 ounce through his Benelli's worked rather well on steel plates and poppers. my problem on a couple of stages was allowing the damn things time to drop. Apparently they were on there way down but in my greenhorn make an impression don't look bad haste I shot a couple twice due to the fact they weren't falling fast enough. :dunno:
    So I was green.
    I am looking forward to this match and am glad some one came up with the idea that could act on it much easier than I could.
    It seems in some areas the girly men are afraid of horrendously punishing recoil of their shotties. :D Its what 410's were made for Rosy!

I

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    I've shot around 40 matches and I've found that I've never needed anything bigger than #7.5. When it comes to knocking down steel, pattern density is far more important than shot size. A single #4 pellet does carry more payload than a single #7.5 pellet, but there are 2.5 times more pellets in 1oz of #7.5 than there are in 1oz of #4. With either load, as your range increases past 15 yards, the pattern spreads and loses density = less payload hitting the plate. Larger shot sizes exaggerate this because there are fewer pellets in the pattern. Using #4 to compensate for a CYL choke sounds backwards to me because the more open the choke, the bigger the spread, the less dense the pattern. Combine this with fewer pellets to start with and it worsens the problem. If all I had was CYL and was worried about being able to knock down plates, then I'd shoot 1 1/4 oz to try to increase my pattern density.

Ryan

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Too bad I don't have video of my shots with #6 hitting the poppers at last year's KY multi-gun. I have a modified choke and I was clearly hitting them with a significant volume of the pattern, but they did not go down. When I reloaded with #4 (might have been #5), they went down. I suspect the #6 loads I had were pretty wimpy in terms of powder charge, but they shouldn't have been that wimpy.

Both pattern and shot size matter. If you've never had a problem with #7-1/2, good for you. If you never encounter really heavy targets, then you probably will never have a problem.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    New boomer

If all goes well, I should have my new gun in hand maybe a week before the match. :ar15:

I sold the old M11:patriot:. She was great, when she ran.

Top Bottom