• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am saving my smart *** post for 2010 for that one pistol match you make. We may have to set a min. number of matches per season for you to remain a part of the game crowd.

I mean Jim Sorgi sees as muching playing time as you and he was on IR much of the year.:D

This is one of those Do you know why the truth hurts? moments, isn't it?

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    I haven't seen an unloaded start in a while. Will they be on the menu?

I would certainly hope so... No real shotgun match starts every stage loaded to division capacity :ar15:

You should come with me to the High Plains Shotgun Challenge in OKC - It's 115 birdshot, 16 buckshot and 16 slugs... Stage Lucky 13 is even a 40 yard 2 round loaded in gun clay bird shoot that's sure to hose many folks... I need to start throwing some lead down range!!!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would certainly hope so... No real shotgun match starts every stage loaded to division capacity :ar15:

You should come with me to the High Plains Shotgun Challenge in OKC - It's 115 birdshot, 16 buckshot and 16 slugs... Stage Lucky 13 is even a 40 yard 2 round loaded in gun clay bird shoot that's sure to hose many folks... I need to start throwing some lead down range!!!

Personally, I think they suck. It takes long enough to reload and shoot a COF without starting with an empty gun.

But then, I've always had my opinions.:D

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    I haven't seen an unloaded start in a while. Will they be on the menu?

No, there will not be any unloaded starts at this match, but there may be stages where you begin downloaded.

RZ

Last edited:

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    There have been several questions/comments that I'd like to chime in on.

Birdshot and choke..... #4 to #9 shot, it really doesn't matter. Shot weight, dram equivalent, and choke are more important. I recommend at least 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz shot and an IC choke or tighter. If you have a fixed CYL bore, then you may want to up the load a bit.

Shell holders....... basically 2 main options: sidesaddles and belt caddies. If you want to run a side saddle, I recommend the elastic/cloth type that velcros onto the side of the gun vs. the molded type. Marc Otto is a good source. I have a couple extras, PM me if interested. The other main option is the belt caddy. I prefer Choate, also available from Midway.

Barrel length..... 21"-22" barrels seem to be most popular being closest to flush with an 8+1 tube. Many guys feel that the short guns swing faster and are easier to poke in and out of ports. Personally, I think this is mostly psychological, as Open guys have no problem maneuvering with super-long 13-15 round extensions.

Extension capacity..... if purchasing one, make sure it gives you at least 8+1. IMO, you may as well get one at least as long as your barrel. Nordic Components makes great extensions.

Being "ready"........ Just run what you brung. If all you have is your ole granpappy's goose gun, just put an extension on it and start shooting. You don't need "hip with the times" equipment to get started, or to win for that matter. Don't worry about being "ready" because you'll never get there without shooting a few matches. I started 4 years ago and ran borrowed equipment for my first 2 matches. I've made several major changes since, and I've never considered myself 100% "ready", which is probably why I like 3-Gun so much. Make due, shoot, learn, and have fun.

Ryan Zamberlan
    Multi-Gun Match Director
    Atlanta Conservation Club
    Atlanta, IN

www.atlantacc.net

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood

Sounds like fun but Jakes already got my money for his match on that date. And I don't have my new shotgun yet. Everytime I get a little money saved up, I buy reloading stuff.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    There have been several questions/comments that I'd like to chime in on.

Birdshot and choke..... #4 to #9 shot, it really doesn't matter. Shot weight, dram equivalent, and choke are more important. I recommend at least 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz shot and an IC choke or tighter. If you have a fixed CYL bore, then you may want to up the load a bit.

Shell holders....... basically 2 main options: sidesaddles and belt caddies. If you want to run a side saddle, I recommend the elastic/cloth type that velcros onto the side of the gun vs. the molded type. Marc Otto is a good source. I have a couple extras, PM me if interested. The other main option is the belt caddy. I prefer Choate, also available from Midway.

Barrel length..... 21"-22" barrels seem to be most popular being closest to flush with an 8+1 tube. Many guys feel that the short guns swing faster and are easier to poke in and out of ports. Personally, I think this is mostly psychological, as Open guys have no problem maneuvering with super-long 13-15 round extensions.

Extension capacity..... if purchasing one, make sure it gives you at least 8+1. IMO, you may as well get one at least as long as your barrel. Nordic Components makes great extensions.

Being "ready"........ Just run what you brung. If all you have is your ole granpappy's goose gun, just put an extension on it and start shooting. You don't need "hip with the times" equipment to get started, or to win for that matter. Don't worry about being "ready" because you'll never get there without shooting a few matches. I started 4 years ago and ran borrowed equipment for my first 2 matches. I've made several major changes since, and I've never considered myself 100% "ready", which is probably why I like 3-Gun so much. Make due, shoot, learn, and have fun.

Ryan Zamberlan
    Multi-Gun Match Director
    Atlanta Conservation Club
    Atlanta, IN
    www.atlantacc.net

thanks for that post. you answered pretty much every question i had. i'm planning on being there and it's going to be my first so i'm lookin for every bit of info i can find.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Having never been to this club, I have no idea what this set up may be like. What I am curious about is if this entire course could possibly be shot with Cyl choke? What will the longest shots be?

I am thinking about running a bare bones 870 with 18" barrel and fixed choke.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Having never been to this club, I have no idea what this set up may be like. What I am curious about is if this entire course could possibly be shot with Cyl choke? What will the longest shots be?

I am thinking about running a bare bones 870 with 18" barrel and fixed choke.

No shots over 25 yards are possible at ACC. Nice large square bays with gravel as footing, but 25 yards is the deepest bay at this time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe a little longer if they have shots diagonally across the bays (we used to do that there to get longer shots for rifle).

People with cylinder bores probably want to use larger shot (#4 or #5) on stages with steel.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Maybe a little longer if they have shots diagonally across the bays (we used to do that there to get longer shots for rifle).

People with cylinder bores probably want to use larger shot (#4 or #5) on stages with steel.
    Or buy an 18" barrel with choke tubes :D. Mine are all thick enough to be threaded. I keep saying I am going to do one some day. I really want the 21" with rib and tubes for a general purpose barrel and gamer/fun gun. Ron has one at TSG, SOB needs to sell it to me.

Yeah, I will toss in some 4's for this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I shoot #4s anyway, even though I also use a modified choke. When I shoot steel, I like it to stay shot. And with the smaller pattern, it helps me miss more so I can shoot more.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've never used or had a need for anything bigger than #6 field loads. 95% of my shots are #7.5 AA Super Sport or Super-Handicap. Put the shot where it needs to be and you'll be just fine.

Top Bottom