• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The ammo requirements state "lead birdshot only". That's good to hear, as running a competition course with slugs or buck would get pricey.

Is there a recommended shot size? i.e.- would #4 or 6 full-power loads be recommended, or could a guy effectively neutralize the targets with #7 low-brass birdshot?

Is it common in a course like this to load/use different types of ammo for different stages, or different parts of one stage?

Anyone who is knowledgeable about this type of competition, please chime in. Could you also direct me to somewhere I can find more specific info on what these stages will consist of?

This sounds like the kind of competition I have been looking for, and I'm already excited about it. I just don't want to be the total noob who shows up with all the wrong stuff, and nary a clue what to expect.

Last edited:

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    You'll be fine with Wal-Mart 7.5 shot loads for everything we'll be shooting... Just figure out a rapid way to load and hold enough shells for a 30 round course of fire. For info I'd look on youtube, maybe under "shotgun steel matches"... High Plains Shotgun Challenge is similar too but we shoot birdshot, buckshot and slugs there.

To hold plenty of shot shells I'd recommend a few 6 round California Comp Works shell holders. They're about $20 each from Midwayusa. If you wanna spend anything for your first time bring a shot shell pouch guys use for Skeet and Trap - they work too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    It depends on the shotgun. If you've got different choke tubes (speaking of that, why aren't those old adjustable chokes being used on 3 gun?) you can do just fine with 7 1/2's. Sometimes you will run into a longer heavy setting steel that just won't go down and you can either switch chokes for that COF or run heavier, faster loads. 7 1/2 heavy loads are good as is Rem Heavy Six.

Reloading is king in this sport. The shooting isn't that difficult, unless you are like a friend who at his first 3 gun, borrowed my 870 ( I had to take him over to another bay and show him how to load it:D) and went to a slug stage with 3" magnums. That was fun to watch. He bought some low recoil slugs from me right away. Didn't care what they cost.

Before I ever heard of 3 gun, 40 years ago, I used to hang clay birds on a fence and see how fast I could bust em all with my 870. It's addicting.

Managed Recoil Sluggers by Rem have always been accurate and easy on the shoulder out of various 870's I've owned.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    It depends on the shotgun. If you've got different choke tubes (speaking of that, why aren't those old adjustable chokes being used on 3 gun?) you can do just fine with 7 1/2's. Sometimes you will run into a longer heavy setting steel that just won't go down and you can either switch chokes for that COF or run heavier, faster loads. 7 1/2 heavy loads are good as is Rem Heavy Six.

so do you recommend using a longer barrel or a shorty? i figured on a short barrel (faster swinging) with gun club 71/2's.

Last edited by a moderator:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I checked out the High Plains videos. That looks like awesome fun!

I may try the shell holders, but as far as guns go, I'm just going to "bring what I got". My goal in this is to gain proficiency with the shotgun I already own.

Ammo-wise, that's good news too. You're saying that for this course, I can run the cheapest stuff my gun will cycle reliably?

Is is suggested for a beginner to take the stages at a brisk walk, instead of an all-out sprint, like some of the highly competitive shooters on the videos do?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Move as fast as you can, safely. Remember the muzzle and the fact that you will be reloading while moving. If you have never done this before, a brisk walk may be the best course.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Yeah, like BillD says... Move only as fast as you feel comfortable. Safe muzzle direction while moving/loading and especially shooting are most important... Remember to keep your finger off the trigger while moving and/or loading unless you're aimed and ready to fire.

I shoot while moving but I do it slowly. I try to pick up time while loading on the move to other shooting positions. It's all about fun for us so run what ya brung and if you need to borrow something you'll likely find someone that will help.

wolfy25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Indy
    I've been getting ready to try out 3/multi-gun and got a 1100 for a shotgun. It seems like most 3 gun matches are using "outlaw" rules and (some of these) rules don't limit shotgun capacity just starting rounds. I understand it can be advantageous to immediately stuff in a few extra shells at the start of the stage. What capacity would you recommend for standard (tactical for multi/3-gun) class?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've been to many, I've not attended one in a long time that you didn't start loaded to capacity. Most folks run a +2, 3 or 4 mag extension.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Please tell me the reason you missed it was that you were focusing on getting ready to shoot multi-gun matches in 2010. That's it, wasn't it!!!

If he shoots some of those matches do you want him to post here so You know he did it?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I think I have enough ammo capacity for this match. :D

news12pics_003.jpg

And, Dave, I am still not ready for multi-gun, yet.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    I've been getting ready to try out 3/multi-gun and got a 1100 for a shotgun. It seems like most 3 gun matches are using "outlaw" rules and (some of these) rules don't limit shotgun capacity just starting rounds. I understand it can be advantageous to immediately stuff in a few extra shells at the start of the stage. What capacity would you recommend for standard (tactical for multi/3-gun) class?

If you're buying a new extension tube I'd recommend one that gives you a couple over the capacity limit. You may have to plug it if you compete at a match where mag capacity is restricted through the entire match. Most will either start you unloaded or allow the max capacity (8+1) in Limited classes.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No, I want you to do it.

I am saving my smart *** post for 2010 for that one pistol match you make. We may have to set a min. number of matches per season for you to remain a part of the game crowd.

I mean Jim Sorgi sees as muching playing time as you and he was on IR much of the year.:D

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I am saving my smart *** post for 2010 for that one pistol match you make. We may have to set a min. number of matches per season for you to remain a part of the game crowd.

I mean Jim Sorgi sees as muching playing time as you and he was on IR much of the year.:D

Oh snap!

Coach-1 Dave-0

Top Bottom