• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    this situation is over I made a thread about it, they revoked his orders.

There's a bit of subtlety involved there. You see, it was pointed out elsewhere (a forum in which a lot of military folk hang out and in a particular area that is "hosted" by a retired LTC who has such credentials as having more than 20 years of service as a lawyer in the military, former instructor at the Army War College, and so forth) that any military reservist or volunteers for service in Iraq or Afghanistan as an individual and not as part of their unit mobilizing can revoke that volunteering at any time prior to actual embarkation. No reason need be given and if a reason is given, the merits of that reason have no bearing on the case. The simple fact of withdrawing from volunteering is sufficient.

The Major withdrew his volunteering. The orders were rescinded in accordance with regulations. Aside from some press, the whole thing accomplishes nothing. Now, if he does the same thing when/if his unit mobilizes to Iraq, that will be a different story.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    well there you go, either way this situation is over and we can quit arguing semantics.

It's over for now until the next thing comes across the news and people that just watch the news and search on the computer have another opinion about the military they never served in.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    It's over for now until the next thing comes across the news and people that just watch the news and search on the computer have another opinion about the military they never served in.
    Not sure who you are referring to, but there are many of us that are not IN the military, but at one point in our lives we served IN the military. I myself served 4 years in the Navy during the first Gulf war. My ship was not deployed over there, as we were on a UNITAS cruise around S. America. My ship carried over 200 Marines as well as Seal Team 6.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, put the wacky tabacky away. No room on this board for a bunch of hippie green smokin tree huggin gun owners! :n00b:

:D

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Try this picture: http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_2.jpg

You can clearly see the certificate #, the raised seal and the ink of the cert. stamp bleeding through from the back.

Yes I see them. How many tries did they have until they allowed FactCheck to personally view the document?
    Why has no MAJOR news outlet been allowed to verify the document? Not even the NY Times.
    Some website got the honors and it is the only source that all of the Mainstream media quote in their stories. Nothing odd about that huh?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Yes I see them. How many tries did they have until they allowed FactCheck to personally view the document?
    Why has no MAJOR news outlet been allowed to verify the document? Not even the NY Times.
    Some website got the honors and it is the only source that all of the Mainstream media quote in their stories. Nothing odd about that huh?

Maybe I need to have a macro for this.

The only reason the "birth certificate" story has any "legs" at all is because of Obama's "furtiveness" about the issue. People think "why is he so secretive if there's nothing to hide."

Two reasons spring immediately to mind:

1) He's secretive about everything. That's just the way he is. He can no more stop being secretive than he can stop breathing.

1a) Practically speaking, if one has something to hide, it pays to be secretive everywhere even in things totally unrelated to what one has to hide. It's like if the police ask to search your house. If you say "you can search everything but this one room" you've just drawn specific attention to that room. Better to deny permission across the board.

2) Every time someone starts questioning Obama's past, the "birth certificate" issue is brought up as a "counter" to show how such questions are the work of "nutjobs." I have to wonder if the whole thing isn't a decoy to draw attention away from whatever real issues there are. I've used the term "flypaper" before since questions about Obama's past get trapped in the "birth certificate" question.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I thought Factcheck was funded by George Soros? They are not a credible source of information.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Annenberg Public Policy Center is where they get funding from. THey don't get their money directly from the University either. Looking into it now.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Their "About us" page
    Annenberg Public Policy Center
    The Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania has been the premier communication policy center in the country since its founding in 1993. By conducting and releasing research, staging conferences and hosting policy discussions, its scholars have addressed the role of communication in politics, adolescent behavior, child development, health care, civics and mental health, among other important arenas. The Center’s researchers have drafted materials that helped policy-makers, journalists, scholars, constituent groups and the general public better understand the role that media play in their lives and the life of the nation. The Policy Center maintains offices in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

APPC's work has informed the policy debates around campaign finance, children's television, internet privacy, tobacco advertising and the tone of discourse in Washington. Scholars at the Policy Center have offered guidance to journalists covering difficult stories, including terrorist threats, suicide and mental health. The Center's discussions of key public policy issues have brought together industry representatives, advocates, government officials and the scholarly community. Its research has examined what messages work best to reduce the spread of HIV and drug use, how to improve candidate discourse and specific strategies for parents to use to monitor their children's media exposure. APPC has developed materials to help educators and schools do a better job of teaching youth about civic responsibility, democracy and the Constitution.

To further our mission, we are launching this new web site. It is designed to give scholars, the media and the general public expanded access to the work that we began in 1993. We intend to make that complete body of research, including extensive data sets and topline surveys, available as quickly as possible. If there are any questions about materials not yet posted on the site, please contact our Philadelphia office at the number listed at the bottom of this page, or send an email to kriley@asc.upenn.edu.

Also, we invite you to learn more about the work of the Annenberg Public Policy Center by reading our newsletter, On the Record, available by clicking the On the Record link in our Library to the left.
    Center History

When the Annenberg Public Policy Center (APPC) was established in 1993, its founders, Ambassadors Walter and Leonore Annenberg, sought to increase the impact of the scholarship produced at Penn’s Annenberg School for Communication, the Policy Center’s home. It was their hope that the APPC would apply its knowledge about communication to improve the well-being of those in the U.S. and throughout the globe. In the subsequent years, APPC research has been put to use in studies of adolescent health, HIV and AIDS, media content analysis and political civility.
    Funding for APPC comes through an endowment established by the Annenberg Foundation, as well as the generous support of federal agencies and foundations.

APPC projects are overseen by a staff of 54 people.

I'm looking into if I can find info on the endowment.

Top Bottom