• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Indiana is a pretty strong state.....indiana SHTF?
    most foreseeable crisis, in another great recession or depression, state runs out of funds for food stamps and unemployment benefits. That could be an issue if the depression ran deep for a long period of time.

Not to much else, except for yellowstone blowing or an asteroid strike.....?
    realistically, indiana is pretty strong economically and structurally.
    ...tornadoes and earthquakes...nah, indiana's tougher than that.

quite frankly, i agree. the new governor signed in today with a $500 million surplus. sock that **** away Pence. we'll need it.
    as more and more things go on around us, i think how well off Indiana really is. barring lake michigan swallowing up Gary (good?) and a massive earthquake, we're in good shape for natural disasters.

I can't say indiana is the best managed state here, but if we're looking for examples on how to run things, we'd be a damn good example.

right now, there's no place i'd rather live than rural Indiana.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    what kinds of possible scenarios are you guys preparing for here?

Train derailment with a chemical spill is one of the biggest threats in Indiana.
    Tornado
    Blizzard
    flood
    earthquake
    Economy collapsing.
    A unannounced truckers strike or long term strike at the ports.
    I have been prepping for the power grid to go down...it seems likely with what I have seen on the news and read about.

Riots and of course personal SHTF.

Last edited:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Earthquake along the New Madrid fault, attack on Crane Naval Weapons support center, Atterbury, Fort Harrison (finance center), Muskatatuck Homeland security center, widespread weather related disasters, financial collapse, or federal gun confiscation legislation. Pick your disaster!

Soupcan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Unfortunately I think our biggest issues will come after a natural disaster. Due the moral decay of the masses I am thankful my family and I will be armed and prepared to deal with the unprepared.

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    Super-Flu or other pandemic.
    Series of storms knock out power and keep it down for extended time period.
    New Madrid earthquake.
    Sudden Economic collapse.
    Coronal Mass Ejection frying the electric grid.
    Super-Volcano blotting out the sun with dust and ash.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I would think if you were one of the residents who lives in Fishers and were without power for several hours this morning when it was 6 degrees that qualified as a short term shtf event. I bet thete were a lot of people wishing they had a generator.

glockmeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Indy Northside
    I think you can prepare for most things, because a diaster is a disaster.
    Being prepared for one thing would probably translate to other things as well i.e. economic collapse, emp pulse, earthquake. You would need some of the same basic supplies to get thru. On the other hand, being totally prepared for everything would be somewhat impossible, unless you have unlimited funds to buy anything, and everything.
    Just my :twocents:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In general, you have short-term emergencies: weather events, civil disorder, chemical spills leading to area evacuations, power-grid failures etc. and long-term emergencies: economic crash, long-term disruption of food and energy distribution, governmental collapse at any level, etc.

Most of us can fairly easily prepare for the short-term stuff (let's define them as being of relatively short duration with "normalization" occurring in months or less than a year.) The long-term stuff (effects are long-lasting; months or years until things "normalize".) are what many of us are unprepared for. We may believe we have enough ammunition to get us through several years of "troubles" but food supplies and the means to grow more are beyond most of our current means, either through lack of arable land available or lack of proper seeds or the horticultural knowledge to make proper use of them.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    In my mind, the most likely scenario is a pandemic.

Twice in the last four years or so, we've seen long lines for flu shots and rushes on drugs like Tamiflu - First for the H1N1 strain in 2009; then again this year for the H3N2. Now imagine what you'd see on TV as far as public panic if a flu strain hit that there is a VERY limited vaccine supply for, or no vaccine at all? You'd have public disturbances at everything from hospitals to health departments to doctors offices to pharmacies. People would be afraid to go to work, or go to places with a lot of people present like a Walmart.

And that doesn't even count trying to keep your family from getting sick...

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Pandemic is a posibility for sure. All these flu shots and such are helping to create super bugs. My wife has been a critical care nurse for 20 years. When the movie contagion came out the local medical community agreed that the movie was pretty close to the mark.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    H1N1 was the Supernatural of the disease world. Everyone made a big deal about it, but in the final analysis, it was no different than all of the other examples out there. Compared with ordinary, run of the mill influenza, H1N1 has the same rate of infection and the same mortality numbers. It'll take something a lot worse than H1N1 or generic bird flu to make me duct tape up my windows and start reaching for the face masks and respirators.

Top Bottom