• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    around here (NWI) anouther one to consider is some panic happning in Chicago. all the people heading out of town at once will create havic in the surrounding areas. we will have to deal with the liberal locasts who only thought of getting out of town.

This is a real possibility.

When I think of SHTF, I think of WIDESPREAD issues that affect the region, several cities, etc. If a tornado hits my house or a fire destroys it, I have another building that could provide shelter or I could move to a hotel. A tornado is not big enough to wipe out the region (unlike a hurricane which actually can do that).

I'm rural so if there are riots in Chicago, Gary, Indy or South Bend they won't affect me here.

Chemical attack in any of the big cities, again probably won't bother me unless the wind blows over my property, again unlikely, but possible. Ditto a nuclear attack. I'm simply not in the normal prevailing wind patterns, unless a nuke strays and hits Kankakee? Unlikely, perhaps possible.

But if the SHTF in Chicago then those people have to go somewhere. Most will likely bypass me and go to hotels, or cities where there are hotels. I expect many will be on the roads around my property, but few will likely stop here as my road is a dead end so they'd have to get back out. I can easily defend my home, property with what I own. If a couple of neighbors get together (very likely) we'd simply block the road. We have a river as a barrier on one side, heavy woods and rough terrain on 2 other sides. Should be able to make a reasonable stand and I think that would be all it would take to deter the homeless, hapless, unarmed city folk who are fleeing their city.

I see no reason to bug out to anywhere. People may bug in to my house. I'd let relatives/friends in. We've enough room to allow that and they could help guard. That said, I really don't see it happening. Even in war torn nations like Bosnia most people stayed in their communities. I suspect that would likely happen here. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Could be, but I think not. Most folks that are Repub leaning just go on with their day and show up for work and don't take the time for public demonstrations.

It is our weakness. compared to the gainfully unemployed who have the time for marches, demonstrations, looting and general mayhem.

Not trying to start anything, but I truly believe that 60's riots, King riots, ad nauseum were perped by folks taking what they think was theirs all along.

We will see, won't we? I will be ready the day after the election...

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Could be, but I think not. Most folks that are Repub leaning just go on with their day and show up for work and don't take the time for public demonstrations.

It is our weakness. compared to the gainfully unemployed who have the time for marches, demonstrations, looting and general mayhem.

Not trying to start anything, but I truly believe that 60's riots, King riots, ad nauseum were perped by folks taking what they think was theirs all along.

We will see, won't we? I will be ready the day after the election...

Agreed. I plan to go to work then come strait home. Not even going to pay much attention to the tv news on the outcome until at least Thursday, maybe even Friday. We should know by then who won.

dreingar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    There are +1 billion Chinese running out of room and building a massive military... just a matter of time before they decide to pay a visit.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    banks failing
    depression
    government shutdown
    loss of job
    fire
    internet going down
    tree falling on house
    crazy neighbor being crazy at my place
    medical event with noone able to help

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Boiling Frogs and the Point of No Return..........

Social unrest and financial collapse are the only two I concern myself with. In my mind, I have varying levels of something hitting the fan. Crap or poo hitting the fan is natural disasters. Situations are usually stabilized and with a minimum of blood let. However, social situations and financial collapse are real potentials as our country becomes more and more unstable due to the percieved social pressures caused by overexposure to media outlets and general paranoia of the human animal. I believe the financial situation is meerly a correction, a long overdue correction. People can argue with me on that, to which I am willing to hear them out. :) However, a major situation regarding a riot or even social melt down is more realistic in our Indiana state, as natural disasters here (from what I have seen) are very mild and destructive to only a small percentage of the Hoosier population. Most of the "disasters" I have seen in Indy cant be fixed with a day's worth of dried food, a minor inconvienience and maybe three hours of battery time for a flashlight. But the underlying current of social pressure rises everyday... That to me is the "S" hitting the fan is when blood is being mixed with the s**t. As far as home invasion, not terribly sure on that. To me that is not SHTF, that is personal catastrophie. UN invasion, seriously? Naw... Not in my lifetime...

I read thru all the posts on this topic and specifically liked the clarity in the above post.

However, a financial meltdown would strike at the heart of every American and if not "corrected" and we continue to slip into an ugly black hole, crime will skyrocket. Good people will turn on each other and that makes me sad to say such a thing. Of course there would be alliances forged along the way but crowded cities would be no place to wake up in.....if you made it thru the night.

A financial meltdown would be akin to placing a fat and happy frog in a cool pan of water and then slowly turning up the heat until it's too late.

Modern American people no longer have the patience for long term suffering like in the Great Depression. No jobs, no goobermint checks in the mail, a loaf of bread is $20.00 and gas and diesel is rationed, and that my Indiana friends is one recipe no one wants to taste test. Ok, maybe there's a few Rambo Jr's who are bored silly but even they like there six pack cold and fast food fast. :D

In other words, Americans want results NOW and if pushed past a point of no return, many will get very ugly. We are not there yet but all indications should tell us that something big, really big, is inevitable.

We are an armed nation of freedom loving people and when the peace runs out, S will HTF.

Where that tipping point is I don't know but I'm guessing it would be a slow painful slide down a slippery slope.

Teach your children but don't scare them. Prepare them !

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    There are +1 billion Chinese running out of room and building a massive military... just a matter of time before they decide to pay a visit.

I like this quote too. If the Chinese, Russians and North Koreans decided to "pay us a visit" in a major Trifecta they could take the West Coast without much of a fight. Kalifornia gun laws are so tight and the libs are useless with such matters so it doesn't look so go. After that I think the Communist Trifecta would get hemmed up in the Rockies to the north and the desert southwest is formidable in the summer. Nukes would be involved and as you all know, the wind blows this way. Damn the wind !!

If they picked the wrong season to invade, they might get to keep Kalifornia plus no one really wants it anyway. Let's just give Kalifornia to China, save the headache and zero out the massive debt we owe them.

I'm just joking oh great watchers of the web.:patriot:

BTW: Japan would have been no help and would have been overtaken in the early days.

As bleak as this is, China and Russia now have a taste of the "American Dream" and are well on their way to capitalistic intoxication. By the time someone from the Red Party gets this notion, their people will be too fat and lazy to buy into it. What do you mean Comrade ? I have to carry this heavy SKS how far ? Can I bring my 100" widescreen ???

The day of massive land invasions is not likely but not unlikely either.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Interesting to see how this thread has evolved from the early days (!) of 2008 to early 2011. At first we have more speculation on regional or local disasters to now when there is more speculation on global disasters or war with China, which also would be global, I guess, in its ramifications. I think we have seen a little more clearly as time has gone on and been able to focus a little better on where the real threat might come from. I read through the posts but I very well might have missed some things. I don't remember an EMP burst being mentioned, for example. That would knock us instantly back into the 19th Century. Personally however, the way the debt has gotten, I believe we are looking at an economic collapse. (And we may, at the same time, take another major hit from Muslim extremists.) But we may also have a major earthquake in either the New Madrid fault or in California that could send our economy toppling over the edge. In either case, a large supply of food, water, fuel for warmth, gas to bug-out if needed, and plenty of ammo is what is called for. I've got nearly a year's worth of food, a lot (but not nearly enough) ammo, and a place to go if we need to bug out. I really think that if you're not prepared then you'd better get started NOW. At least you can always eat your provisions if nothing happens.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    my mom is preparing for just about anything.. She's worried about the government gettin to big, natural disasters, and civil uprest. She's always askin me since im in the military how would most of us react if ordered to fire on civilians and violate thier rights... First i said we pray it never comes to that and then i explained at least in my unit and the general conscious among everyone ive talked too is we wouldnt. I found an article in the new that shows the government knows that. Thats why i believe they have an interest in your PMC contractors located outside the US. Me im also thinkin about foriegn invation and conquest of our nation by china or russia as well as the natural disaster and civil uprest

Last edited:
    Top Bottom