• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    When you ask about SHTF scenarios, I think more about stuff that would result in a societal meltdown. Natural disasters like tornados and earthquakes don't seem to create that effect unless your society is already on the edge (like New Orleans) or your local government is very corrupt (like New Orleans). Most of Indiana doesn't fall into that category. Tornados don't cause societal break down here. Quakes don't seem to do it in CA. I think of these, along with flooding as more basic disaster prep, not SHTF, which I equate more to TEOTWAWKI. Different kind of prep.

A nuke might actually cause people to pull together similar to the 9/11 attacks.

My vote for what would most likely cause something most resembling (what I think of as) a SHTF scenario would be a financial collapse. It happened in Argentina recently with some effects that would have survival implications (like skyrocketing crime). Google "FerFAL" and you can read about his experiences during the Argentina situation (this will bring up bits and pieces from a number of web sites that may need to be put together to get the full picture).

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    i work at the base (grissom air reserve base). we have kc-135r refuelers and our runway is RIGHT on the other side of the fence on 31. I know that we've been told alot of times that we are a very good target for a terrorist attack, because 1) we're right off the highway and you can see all of our aircraft 2) our aircraft, if landing on runway 05, travel no more than 100ft above the highway on touch and goes and 3) they told us that indiana is a high risk area for a terrorist attack because we are centralized.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Natural Disasters

1. Tornado
    2. Flooding
    3. Blizzard/Hail storm/Severe Thunderstorm
    4. Earthquake

Man Made Disasters

1. Chemical spill - railway, semi-truck, area evacuated
    2. Financial Collapse
    3. Terrorist attack - Bio/Chemical/Nuclear

Personal Loss Disaster

1. Identity Theft
    2. Home Burglary or Home Invasion
    3. Job loss
    3. Sudden loss of a family member
    4. Home loss (fire, Repossession)

Suddenly I'm Depressed :rolleyes:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    There are three scenerios that come to mind right now. (Or near future?)

Our financial woes - that have not gone away with the "bail-out". It could still get worse. A run on the banks, riots, distruction related to that.

The election.
    No matter who wins.
    If McCain wins - riots by angry Obama supporters.
    If Obama wins - "celebratory" riots by Obama supporters. (remember the World Series/Bowl Games distruction?)
    Of course, those would/could affect the whole country.

Of course natural disasters. Tornados, floods, possible earthquake. (that have already been mentioned.)

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    3) they told us that indiana is a high risk area for a terrorist attack because we are centralized.

This is what I think our SHTF will be.
    I believe the next attack will be Middle America.

Of course Im 40 minutes from Chicago, the Steel Mills and the Refineries in NW Indiana. If something happened to any of those it would effect my area greatly.

Thats why I prep and hope nothing happens, but plan for if something does.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Social unrest and financial collapse are the only two I concern myself with. In my mind, I have varying levels of something hitting the fan. Crap or poo hitting the fan is natural disasters. Situations are usually stabilized and with a minimum of blood let. However, social situations and financial collapse are real potentials as our country becomes more and more unstable due to the percieved social pressures caused by overexposure to media outlets and general paranoia of the human animal. I believe the financial situation is meerly a correction, a long overdue correction. People can argue with me on that, to which I am willing to hear them out. :) However, a major situation regarding a riot or even social melt down is more realistic in our Indiana state, as natural disasters here (from what I have seen) are very mild and destructive to only a small percentage of the Hoosier population. Most of the "disasters" I have seen in Indy cant be fixed with a day's worth of dried food, a minor inconvienience and maybe three hours of battery time for a flashlight. But the underlying current of social pressure rises everyday... That to me is the "S" hitting the fan is when blood is being mixed with the s**t. As far as home invasion, not terribly sure on that. To me that is not SHTF, that is personal catastrophie. UN invasion, seriously? Naw... Not in my lifetime...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i work at the base (grissom air reserve base). we have kc-135r refuelers and our runway is RIGHT on the other side of the fence on 31. I know that we've been told alot of times that we are a very good target for a terrorist attack, because 1) we're right off the highway and you can see all of our aircraft 2) our aircraft, if landing on runway 05, travel no more than 100ft above the highway on touch and goes and 3) they told us that indiana is a high risk area for a terrorist attack because we are centralized.

Wow, I did not know that. May be not the best idea to advertise this.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    but luckily for us the number of aircraft and parking setup is not exact as seen on google

and im not really trying to advertise our situation at the base, im just stating the obvious

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    So what is a a possible SHTF scenario in Indiana

There are three scenerios that come to mind right now. (Or near future?)

Our financial woes - that have not gone away with the "bail-out". It could still get worse. A run on the banks, riots, distruction related to that.

The election.
    No matter who wins.
    If McCain wins - riots by angry Obama supporters.
    If Obama wins - "celebratory" riots by Obama supporters. (remember the World Series/Bowl Games distruction?)
    Of course, those would/could affect the whole country.

Of course natural disasters. Tornados, floods, possible earthquake. (that have already been mentioned.)

All of this and even more could happen. It is scary to think about. But we must be as ready for things to happen as we can.:ar15:

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Lets not forget about Crane. Or Newport. NP and the Vx are over but not everyone believes it is gone.

I personally saw the last ton container of VX nerve agent drained and neutralized...you have no worries of nerve agent at Newport...what worries me if what else they have stuffed in the back lots of the depot.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Let's not forget about Duke Energy's Gibson Generating Station in Gibson County. That coal fired power plant was once the 9th largest coal fired generating station in the WORLD. That plant and others were prime targets on the Russian Nuke list. Good target for terrorists. Oh and lets not forget about the control center for Duke here in Plainfield. If they take over that building alone they can control power to the many hospitals, schools, and other vital services that use Duke Energy. I know they also supply power to Grissom AFB and Crane although I'm sure they have backups, but backups only run for so long.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    All of this and even more could happen. It is scary to think about. But we must be as ready for things to happen as we can.:ar15:

That's our duty as the protectors of our Families.

1178494109578.gif

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    The way I see it is, if we are getting rid of that, me must have something even better that no one has seen. All I know is that the bunkers it was stored in is empty.

The one thing is, I have seen a map that shows the back part of the depot (more towards SR 71) as a Radiation Hazard Area. So all you can do is speculate.

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have come to the conclusion that there are about 2 different thing to plan for: Having to evacuate and staying in the home. Make sure you have the necessary supplies (solvent, oil, cleaning kit and ammo, and food and water) After reading the suggested books by Cody Lundin it all boils down to not what happened but are you ready to take care of your "tribe". The truth is most Americans just don't think it will happen to them. The September wind storm from Ike is a perfect example. Government support after a disaster and social security are about equal when it comes to depending on it helping you. You need the basics and know how to use what you keep for emergencies. Plan on living a simple life (shoot, clean, reload and eat). Being prepared is not easy but it's not as trying as surviving without any preperation. And remember, if you see the mushroom cloud all you need is Chap Stick so you can pucker up and kiss it good bye!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Google New Madrid Fault. You'll come up with all kinds of info on this. It could be real Katrina sized threat for us.
    Bigger really. When bridges across major rivers go, things get F'ed up fast. When towers collapse, jobs are just gone along wiht parts of the city.

I just finished working in NOLA. Every day I looked down from the 22nd floor on the dome. They didn't lose a single tower there.

If you prepare for a 30 day stay at home you can survive MOST disasters waiting for you. In NOLA a lot of probelms stemmed from people not being able to return to their homes after they left. Sure high water means leave. HINT live above the high water mark, let alone sea level.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    around here (NWI) anouther one to consider is some panic happning in Chicago. all the people heading out of town at once will create havic in the surrounding areas. we will have to deal with the liberal locasts who only thought of getting out of town.

Top Bottom