• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    H1N1 was the Supernatural of the disease world. Everyone made a big deal about it, but in the final analysis, it was no different than all of the other examples out there. Compared with ordinary, run of the mill influenza, H1N1 has the same rate of infection and the same mortality numbers. It'll take something a lot worse than H1N1 or generic bird flu to make me duct tape up my windows and start reaching for the face masks and respirators.

Do you have that much duct tape???

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    That's why I'm getting my ham license.

How does this help? You would be communicating with other ham operators?
    These other operators know more? I mean other than the conditions around them? I dont see this as much of an advantage. Anyone care to enlighten me?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any info is better than none. Conditions in surrounding areas etc. The sound of another human voice. Knowledge of coming events as in storms both from nature and man. Any comm. is good over none.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    How does this help? You would be communicating with other ham operators?
    These other operators know more? I mean other than the conditions around them? I dont see this as much of an advantage. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Being able to pass a message from, say, Indiana to California is a big deal if cell, internet, tv etc is down. Not being aware that Chicago is burning or that L.A. is empty because the population is heading for water would be a big deal. And that's setting aside being able to communicate with like minded people who live nearby for trade, mutual defense, or just to talk to someone besides your family/close neighbors.

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    prepare for it all, dont give labels to a certain disaster

I'm very proud to say that I work for FEMA...now don't b a hater... I have seen tragedy, misfortune, bad luck, good luck, and plain ol unprepared. I mean really, if you live by water, any water at all you should have the mentality to think , well, what if. What if it rains so hard it floods my basement and my furnace goes out? Water heater? Or maybe the water crept down the wall into ur panel box. What will u do? Call insurance? Good luck, I've done this for 13yrs and its a battle to get most anything in a Basement covered. Now thats not a disaster by any means, so imagine something like this on a much larger scale. No power, no phones, no stores open. Cash only no atm's. This is my job year round to go to these people and do my part....so when people ask what disaster do you plan for, simply say any..anything can happen.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    All the above, I read in an article in a magazine about seven years ago that of any state, Indiana has the largest number of potential terrorist targets around. Food, energy, military, industry.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have watched Contagion a bunch of times, it's a great movie. Anyone else watch Jeremiah , the TV show?

It would probably be an outbreak of some sort. Like a super strain of the flu. I think that is more likely to happen than economic collapse, social degradation leading to disorder, or a foreign invasion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm very proud to say that I work for FEMA...now don't b a hater... I have seen tragedy, misfortune, bad luck, good luck, and plain ol unprepared. I mean really, if you live by water, any water at all you should have the mentality to think , well, what if. What if it rains so hard it floods my basement and my furnace goes out? Water heater? Or maybe the water crept down the wall into ur panel box. What will u do? Call insurance? Good luck, I've done this for 13yrs and its a battle to get most anything in a Basement covered. Now thats not a disaster by any means, so imagine something like this on a much larger scale. No power, no phones, no stores open. Cash only no atm's. This is my job year round to go to these people and do my part....so when people ask what disaster do you plan for, simply say any..anything can happen.

No hate for the folks in the trench's just the people at the top of that food chain.

Thanks for your service to those in need.

surferfox72

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    south bend
    Thanks Church :-) I just wanted to vent... my job is so stressful and its hard not to bring it home with me...well, the hotel. I guess through all my ventures I'm just at a heightened state of over protection of my family. Just remember ...to all you people out there gathering your essentials....please don't forget one HUGE thing......WATER! You can never have enough. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    That's why I'm getting my ham license.
    I've thought of doing that myself. I don't think Morse is mandatory to get your ham license anymore, but back in the day I could copy Morse at 25 GPM. I couldn't copy that fast these days (maybe if I worked back up to it), but I still know it and could probably copy 10 GPM if I sat down ice cold after 20+ years - it's like riding a horse, as they say.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I honestly don't feel that Indiana,as an individual state,is as much at risk as our nation as a whole.I don't prep for any one certain event,but rather,any multitude of scenarios.My one year in the boy scouts did teach me one simple life rule:be prepared for anything;prepare for the worst and pray for the best.That being said,I believe that the most likely situation to prepare for,if you were choosing only one,would be a nationwide economic collapse.The reason I say this is because I look at the national debt,the constant devaluation of the dollar,and the super inflation that seems to be already beginning to take it's toll.Call me wrong or crazy if you like,but the first signs are,in my opinion,already upon us.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm preparing for a huge turnaround in this country's finances, morality, optimism, economy, and leadership! having said that, i'm just in the noobie phase of all this, better late than never, hopefully not too late! i'll be reading lots of these threads.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    In my opinion, domestic economic downturn and possible subsequent rioting is the most likely human disaster that we are likely to see in our generation. Our economy is weak at the moment and is so dependent on oil that any incident affecting its price can have huge devastating effect on the us economy and the population.

Just one of the possible scenarios: Iran's trajectory toward nuclear armament has gone unimpeded and will likely result in military action by Israel, backed by the US. Oil prices soar, crashing the US economy.

Just one domino falling to start a negative chain reaction. One more snowflake to start an avalanche.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    what kinds of possible scenarios are you guys preparing for here?

Here's what I've done claims for here:

Tornado (Incl. Straight line winds and microbursts)
    Ice Storms
    Blizzard
    Flooding
    Fire
    People caused events/theft/vandalism/etc...

And in Michigan, Human caused environmental events that tainted the water.

So, how I prep for Indiana in order of importance:
    1. An insurance policy I have taken the time to read. (How many of you have actually read your policy?)
    2. Bang bangs because it doesn't matter what you've prepped if you can't protect it.
    3. Kerosene heater (I can live without a generator as my food preps don't need refrigeration.)
    4. Water
    5. Water filtration
    6. 6 month supply of food
    7. Basic bug out bag
    8. A decent 4wd vehicle for Indiana snow (ended up getting a Ford Escape)
    9. ATM card and an emergency fund in the bank.

One thing I've learned from working multiple post-hurricane disaster zones is a good bug out vehicle is more important than a bug out location. If you're smart, you can make a motel in a neighboring state a temp BOL while you get everything together. Sure a cabin in the woods is a luxury but a vehicle that you keep in top shape is more important. I met many New Yorkers who were completely stranded when flood waters reached up to the electrical components of their vehicle and shorted out the engines. Even had a few fires start that way when shorted engines started up and burned inside an attached garage, starting the houses on fire.

Top Bottom