• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sadly wealthy are enjoying their staycation with conspicuous consumption of necessities while many lower income folks struggle to get the basics...

When did making one's own food become conspicuous consumption? :dunno:
    It's a topsy world when fresh baked bread is the new BMW.

I never realized my Grandma was livin' it up like a Kardashian.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

177c133a94a0ad4c0b028da4a9c89c5d.jpg

versus

7c297a72eb2e42701e9bf2ce2a32cc0b.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I personally don't think of baking bread and cookies to be "conspicuous consumption." I don't know of anyone who is baking just for fun and then throwing away the food.

It's still supply chain issues. Americans typically eat a whole lot of food that never passes through a grocery store. With so much of that food unavailable, the grocery stores are going to be out of a lot of items.

It will be an issue until we're all back in restaurants. And that's not going to happen until people feel safe doing so, even if the lockdown were to end right now.

I fully understand the supply shortages, but maintain my central point, flour and other necessities are in short supply and FB is loaded with show off posts of looky what I made, which is conspicuous consumption in my book...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I fully understand the supply shortages, but maintain my central point, flour and other necessities are in short supply and FB is loaded with show off posts of looky what I made, which is conspicuous consumption in my book...

True dat. All of my sisters are showing skills they haven't used since they were in their twenties. The good news is that they really do know how to cook.

The bad news is they will kick your ass if you say: Make me a sammich.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Are you mad that they bought it, or mad that they showed it off?

FB always full of dumb **** like that. It's the source du jour for endorphins. If someone wants to learn how to bake a soufflé, more power to them. It want to show it off, fine, whatever (but I also won't look). People are stuck at home and can't show what hip food their eating in a restaurant, so this replaces it. Instagrammers and FBers are dumb.

Now, if you're using the flour to pave the streets, then I care.

My guess is that flour is like everything else - a supply / allocation issue. We now want from grocery stores what used to go to restaurants. It's simply a logistics issue and I'm not going to blame people for showing off their baking skillz. Heck, the reason I want flour is so I can try my hand at sourdough. I didn't realize that made me a bad person, I guess I'll just buy a bland loaf instead.

You know, there's a ton of boomer humor memes criticizing the young for not knowing how to bake from scratch. Now we're telling them not to learn how.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

It became conspicuous consumption when they made it conspicuous by posting it all over social media like a Kardashian. If your grandma baked for gratification of the pictures sent to the paper of the day she too might be guilty, but I kind of doubt she did that.

That said, I'm just over those enjoying this lockdown, posting about how much fun they are having and blasting anyone that wants to open up and get to work...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It became conspicuous consumption when they made it conspicuous by posting it all over social media like a Kardashian. If your grandma baked for gratification of the pictures sent to the paper of the day she too might be guilty, but I kind of doubt she did that.

That said, I'm just over those enjoying this lockdown, posting about how much fun they are having and blasting anyone that wants to open up and get to work...

So, now you're in the phase of, "I hate anyone who is making the best of a ****ty situation."

Got it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Oh. That's not a complaint about flour; that's a complaint about social media.

I don't have a problem with people posting photos of their bread, cupcakes, etc. But I also don't get on FB much, and when I do, I tend to stick to groups rather than watching the "news" feed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Back to sit-rep.

I find that no store has it all. One seems to have chicken never pork chops and the reverse at a different store. This seems true with dozens of items. I have to go to several stores to fill the list.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I picked up a meat package from The Meat Shop on the west side. Probably 45-50 lbs of meat. Steak, bacon, burger, sausage, chicken, pork.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The weather was beautiful this afternoon, so we drove around the Green Woods to see what was going on. Full construction crew at the park in Old Town. Lots of traffic. Rural King parking lot about 3/4 full. It isn't a "normal" wednesday, but it certainly isn't a ghost town.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom