• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Got to watch out for Strack's. I've been fiercely loyal to them in the past, but I've heard stories of gouging in the past few weeks. They are apparently not putting prices on the TP shelves, so it's buyer beware. One lady on Facebook showed her receipt where she got charged $31.99 for a 12 pack.

That would be the last ****ing time I darkened their door.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Meanwhile, I just got another delivery of 24 rolls of Amazon Presto TP. Good stuff if you can catch it. Nearly 1.00 a roll but soft, and nice big rolls. They have a 'soft' and a 'strong'. I'm not a fan of the 'strong'. How strong does it have to be? It's toilet paper, you're not towing a boat with it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not a lot of choices up here. Strack's, Jewel, and Walmart, and I have issues with all three. I've been avoiding Aldi because they never have any stock, but I may have to try them again.

I picked up a 12 roll pack of their (Aldi) Willow "soft and strong" TP this morning just to top off. They didn't have a lot of TP or paper towels, but they were pretty well stocked on everything else.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Kroger (PayLess) northside of Anderson had everything (didn't look at sanitizer)

Carmel Meijer still doesn't have one scrap of paper product.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Went shopping at Sam’s Club for work when employees return.

No hand sanitizer or wipes. Got a gallon of hand soap over in the janitorial section. Went to the dishwasher detergent section where they stock Dawn antibacterial soap that people assume is dish soap but if you look at the tiny print is hand soap. Also got a half gallon of Jose Cuervo margaritas.

Over half of shoppers in mask but disappointed with the yoga pant ratio.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

No hand sanitizer or wipes. Got a gallon of hand soap over in the janitorial section. Went to the dishwasher detergent section where they stock Dawn antibacterial soap that people assume is dish soap but if you look at the tiny print is hand soap. Also got a half gallon of Jose Cuervo margaritas.

Antibacterial dish soap is all I've really ever used for hand soap. And if you get the off-brand/store brand it's much cheaper.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Went to the dishwasher detergent section where they stock Dawn antibacterial soap that people assume is dish soap but if you look at the tiny print is hand soap. Also got a half gallon of Jose Cuervo margaritas.

Yep, it's not antibacterial for dishes-- only when used for hands.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, it's not antibacterial for dishes-- only when used for hands.

I wonder why wouldn't it be antibacterial for dishes? Just seems counter-intuitive since dishes usually aren't porous while hands (skin) are. Seems like it would be more effective on the non-porous surfaces.

ETA: I just thought of something. When used as a hand soap (a couple of squirts out of a hand soap dispenser), you're using a much higher concentration of the soap, since that same couple of squirts is what most people would use for a sink full of dishes.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Jose Cuervo Factory Margaritas are useless, can’t sanitize with them, and can’t get drunk drinking them...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Jose Cuervo Factory Margaritas are useless, can’t sanitize with them, and can’t get drunk drinking them...

After three pint glasses my wife asked if we drank the whole bottle. She managed to maintain “social distance” so it did not have the expected tequila side effect. Too bad.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    After three pint glasses my wife asked if we drank the whole bottle. She managed to maintain “social distance” so it did not have the expected tequila side effect. Too bad.
    Told You! Prior proper planning prevents **** poor performance. In case you didn’t know, the previous statement is referred to as the 7P’s.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    There is almost nothing coming from China now. What do you need for the rest of the year? Toothpaste, razors, soap, etc. We are on the precipice of uncharted in our lives. We have a rule, don't buy what you will not eat or use, just buy in anticipation and if it doesn't materialize then you already have it. No loss, just a premature purchase. If you have no budget for it, prioritize what you must have to be comfortable and keep going.

This is is not a drill, it is real...

Can you expand on the fact that nothing is coming from China now? I knew imports were down, but I may have missed to what degree.

I, too, am concerned about what may be ahead of us.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Can you expand on the fact that nothing is coming from China now? I knew imports were down, but I may have missed to what degree.

I, too, am concerned about what may be ahead of us.

In the coronavirus thread Smokingman posted a week or so ago about this. In a brief synopsis there are about 50 container ships that are in one of 4 places, enroute to US or China or loading or unloading at them. From memory 3 were being loaded, and 40+ were parked. All those ships can be looked up because their GPS locations are very publicly available to see where they are at any given time.

That would equate to an 80%+ reduction in imports...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In the coronavirus thread Smokingman posted a week or so ago about this. In a brief synopsis there are about 50 container ships that are in one of 4 places, enroute to US or China or loading or unloading at them. From memory 3 were being loaded, and 40+ were parked. All those ships can be looked up because their GPS locations are very publicly available to see where they are at any given time.

That would equate to an 80%+ reduction in imports...

China is only 21.2% of our imports.

Top Bottom