• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I think there should be an "open carry" day in South Bend when the weather warms up. Not a rally with everyone together, but individual parties carrying about three or four blocks apart and covering several square miles or key areas. If the PD is forced to respond to a couple of dozen calls within a two hour period and face down knowledgeable LTC holders every time (with cameras) they just may rethink how they are going to proceed for future calls.

I'd keep it on the QT and not let the world know what was going on.

Sounds good to me.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I think there should be an "open carry" day in South Bend when the weather warms up. Not a rally with everyone together, but individual parties carrying about three or four blocks apart and covering several square miles or key areas. If the PD is forced to respond to a couple of dozen calls within a two hour period and face down knowledgeable LTC holders every time (with cameras) they just may rethink how they are going to proceed for future calls.

I'd keep it on the QT and not let the world know what was going on.

The only thing I would add to that is that we all call 911 with MWAG on each other.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    YES. Because it is not legal to operate a motor vehicle without appropriate operators license. Same as carrying a firearm without a license. So stopping someone just because you suspect they might not have a license for driving is the same as stopping for carrying a firearm. Not to mention illegal search and seizure. You are required to detain and question when suspecting a crime being committed, then make a judgement call on whether or not to arrest and search.
    Also if it were me I would have stated that "I have the proper I.D. and license to legally carry a firearm on my persons and am willing to present to you for inspection" and went from there.

NO. SCOTUS has ruled it is a violation of the fourth amendment for officers to stop vehicles solely for a license check. There is no such ruling anywhere in the country that deals with firearms.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    NO. SCOTUS has ruled it is a violation of the fourth amendment for officers to stop vehicles solely for a license check. There is no such ruling anywhere in the country that deals with firearms.
    Ok, I'll give you that. Maybe there should be? I also would definitely like to hear what was on the original report.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why the heck are some people on here worried on the way he was carrying????? There are times I wear a dropleg, heck, I have even worn my SASS rig into the store on my way home after a few days in the woods, complete with "bullets" on the belt and a scary revolver in the holster.

The only real concern is the MWAG call, and how South Bend dispatch handled the call.

Well said. I was going to comment on the dispatch but we'll never know exactly what they were told by the caller and what they passed on to LE. However, the responders went way overboard. IF the poster was merely walking in a non-threatening manner they had no reason to approach him as they did. If they're going to do that why not traffic stops with shotguns or ARs at "low ready" when walking up to a guy wearing a turbin, someone in a hoodie, an unshaven guy, a ditzy looking woman, etc?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Birdman, if you weren't 3 hours away, I would walk to the store with you, and wear MY drop leg holster.....
    Why not arrange an OC event, and everyone can oc, any way they want to ..... :twocents:

Do it right - "To the bridge" (shades of Concord?) wearing comfy pants, a hoodie, carrying a bag of groceries and wearing a drop leg with whatever firearm you own. Walk loosely "together" so you can't be accused of havin a parade without a permit. Carry voice recorders. Have fun.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    YES. Because it is not legal to operate a motor vehicle without appropriate operators license. Same as carrying a firearm without a license. So stopping someone just because you suspect they might not have a license for driving is the same as stopping for carrying a firearm. Not to mention illegal search and seizure. You are required to detain and question when suspecting a crime being committed, then make a judgement call on whether or not to arrest and search.
    Also if it were me I would have stated that "I have the proper I.D. and license to legally carry a firearm on my persons and am willing to present to you for inspection" and went from there.
    Read the thread. Someone already explained this. There is Court Ruling not allowing officers to just pull you over to check for a DL, there is no such ruling for carrying a handgun.

Like I said earlier, NO.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It would have been one thing for an officer and his partner to have hailed him and said, "sorry but we got a call about a MWAG, we just need to check if you have a LTCH". That would have been much different than rolling multiple squad cars and then the team approaching a guy with bags of groceries in his arms with guns drawn. It is like the, let's kick his door down in the middle of the night decision to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It would have been one thing for an officer and his partner to have hailed him and said, "sorry but we got a call about a MWAG, we just need to check if you have a LTCH". That would have been much different than rolling multiple squad cars and then the team approaching a guy with bags of groceries in his arms with guns drawn. It is like the, let's kick his door down in the middle of the night decision to me.

It depends on what the rat bastardie caller said to 911 to mobilize the troops in this fashion. I can not get the link given to open.
    That is un-less SBPD is a bunch of Cowboy's in there own right.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's that part right up at the top, that I put in the quote block on the post that you then quoted. The line right there were it says, and I will quote again but add some emphasis this time:

Got it. I'm illegally carrying until I'm detained by police and my ID and LTCH are inspected. I'm also required to have insurance when I drive, gonna pull me over as an uninsured motorist until I prove otherwise? How about pulling me over on my motorcycle to check and make sure I have my endorsement? Better still, why not ask me for my building permit when I roll out of Lowe's with some lumber and screws?

The point is, no matter how he was carrying, his weapon was holstered. Surrounding him with guns drawn, ordering him to drop his goods, and then searching his wallet are way beyond what was necessary.

The way this should have gone is that the officer would say "excuse me, we received a call of a man matching your description carrying a weapon. Can I see your LTCH please".

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I would say it is on you. Carry as you wish....invite everyone to the party. Have a great time.

Many think this is a bit cowboy. It is only an opinion and nothing more. Might be expressed a bit loudly but an opinion all the same.

Right now we do not need to make a scene. JMHO and nothing more.

I got accused of being a cowboy by a Goshen PD officer for simply having my sidearm in a holster on my hip at the 4 o'clock position. John Wayne-ing it as the officer put it. I'm less concerned that he was using a drop holster than the fact that SBPD went monkey-fecal matter on him.

Top Bottom