• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I OC in Columbus all the time....no cops flying in at 100mph, no drawn guns, no handcuffed and tossed into the back of a squad car...I think SBPD is wanting something happen so they can use thier police tactics and authority

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Read the thread. Someone already explained this. There is Court Ruling not allowing officers to just pull you over to check for a DL, there is no such ruling for carrying a handgun.

Like I said earlier, NO.
    Like I said earlier it is just the same, there needs to be a SCOTUS ruling on carrying. Soul reason I do not OC. Because I hear to many horror stories. Read about a guy in AZ who was shot to death in Sam's Club over OC'ing. Wasn't even given the chance to I.D. himself. Turned out he was a LTCH holder and was soing nothing wrong. Officers said he was trying to draw on them. Security tape revealed he did nothing of the sort. They shot him while his hands were raised. Now in no way am I bashing officers, just saying one or two guys got it wrong and acted inappropriately. We need protection against that.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have to honestly say if I saw you with that rig dressed that way, and I was one of the anti-gun lemmings, it would be hard not to say something to someone, cops or otherwise.

Do you wear this thing regularly? Is this the only time you've had trouble? I realize it's perfectly legal but you may want to tone it down until the dust settles a bit on the whole gun climate.

Personally I don't see the allure of OC. If and when I do get my LTCH, it will be CC for me all the way. No need to announce to anybody you're carrying IMO. It does nothing more than draw attention to yourself and right now that's not such a good thing.

:facepalm: Not this **** again!!!

This is not an OC vs. CC debate! furthermore this is ridiculous! It is a legal activity, the method of carry is a personal choice, not a tactical or, even worse, a PC one!

If everyone OC'ed, it would become a normal thing again. I for one am a big proponent of JFC.

Since you don't even have you LTCH yet, personally I don't think you should make a choice on method of carry... as far as you know OC may be better than sex... but the way you are cowing to the PC gods you would never know! Now, get some experience carrying, and then you can lecture people on how to carry... wait, no you can't, as the method of carry in IN is a PERSONAL matter... In other words, if every one would quit trying to force their opinions on others the world would be a better place.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    See, we can get along. I agree with you there. But you are by your own addmition stating that it was ok for the police to stop him and ask for his LTCH, simply based on the fact that he was carrying a weapon. :ingo:

So let's step off from here. Officer asks politely, why would any upstanding citizen not take 2 minutes to thank the officer for their follow through on the matter and put a very easy, very peaceful, very fast end to the situation by saying "certainly officer, it's right here in my wallet".

On the otherside, why should any upstanding citizen be required to prove they are an upstanding citizen while acting fully within their rights?

I've only dug into the Indiana Code far enough to read what's there under the firearm section (among other specific titles). I hear from other news reports about "shall identify" laws like that douchebag in Texas who was a douchebag to the cops just to prove a point. Show them your ID, video tape it, be nice, then file a suit to address your grievances. Is it Indiana Law that one must stop and ID themselves at the request of LEO at any time? If so, what's the code reference? I'd like to read it.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    So let's step off from here. Officer asks politely, why would any upstanding citizen not take 2 minutes to thank the officer for their follow through on the matter and put a very easy, very peaceful, very fast end to the situation by saying "certainly officer, it's right here in my wallet". YES. That is what should happen.

On the otherside, why should any upstanding citizen be required to prove they are an upstanding citizen while acting fully within their rights?

I've only dug into the Indiana Code far enough to read what's there under the firearm section (among other specific titles). I hear from other news reports about "shall identify" laws like that douchebag in Texas who was a douchebag to the cops just to prove a point. Show them your ID, video tape it, be nice, then file a suit to address your grievances. Is it Indiana Law that one must stop and ID themselves at the request of LEO at any time? If so, what's the code reference? I'd like to read it.

There is am I.D. law let me look for it.

FOUND IT
    Indiana Indiana Code §34-28-5-3.5
    IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title34/ar28/ch5.html

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    So let's step off from here. Officer asks politely, why would any upstanding citizen not take 2 minutes to thank the officer for their follow through on the matter and put a very easy, very peaceful, very fast end to the situation by saying "certainly officer, it's right here in my wallet".

There is nothing wrong with that, that is how it should happen. And as soon as the LTCH is verified, the officer should say, "Thanks for supporting and exercising your 2A rights. Have a great day."

Simple answer: They shouldn't. More complex answer: There are some people out there in the world who think they are better than everyone else in the world and they feel that it is their place to impose their will/opinion on everyone else.
    Also it is Illegal to carry a handgun in Indiana with out being an exempted person.

A DB is a DB regardless of if they are interacting with a police officer or the clerk at the grocery store.

reesez found the code.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is am I.D. law let me look for it.

FOUND IT
    Indiana Indiana Code §34-28-5-3.5
    IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    Indiana Code 34-28-5

Stopped for an infraction or ordinance violation. What infraction or violation do by carrying his pistol?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

In this case it probably had something to do with the five police cars racing up and having guns pointed at you like it was a felony stop or something, the OP was probably a little rattled at that and not feeling the least bit cheerful.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    The fact is, the officers were doing their job. And according to the story we get here, nobody broke any law and no rights were violated.

If you are going to OC, especially like a dork, expect to get hassled by the cops. If you don't like it, complain to the department (see where that gets you), call a lawyer (see where that gets you), at least carry a camera with you.

By the way, can we revisit the driving a car analogy. That hasn't been covered enough.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    This has been the most informative thread I have read so far. Good info all the way around and a good study of the way people think and behave. Definitely influenced me on OC should I ever be allowed the privilege in Indiana. Anyone know if there is a discussion on here of why Indiana requires a permit to OC in the first? Scutter a little help here, I am starting to think that you have read and memorized every post ever put up on INGO

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The fact is, the officers were doing their job. And according to the story we get here, nobody broke any law and no rights were violated.

If you are going to OC, especially like a dork, expect to get hassled by the cops. If you don't like it, complain to the department (see where that gets you), call a lawyer (see where that gets you), at least carry a camera with you.

By the way, can we revisit the driving a car analogy. That hasn't been covered enough.
    OK, it is different :D

Last edited:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    This has been the most informative thread I have read so far. Good info all the way around and a good study of the way people think and behave. Definitely influenced me on OC should I ever be allowed the privilege in Indiana. Anyone know if there is a discussion on here of why Indiana requires a permit to OC in the first? Scutter a little help here, I am starting to think that you have read and memorized every post ever put up on INGO

Money? Is my guess

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Stopped for an infraction or ordinance violation. What infraction or violation do by carrying his pistol?

Define "infraction or ordanance violation".

I cannot open the audio file for the call. But it was an anonymous call and I am unsure of what it entailed.

You're not missing much, just some police chatter. It's not the 911 call.

Are you sure you read the whole thing? The IC has been posted many times. It is Illegal in Indiana to carry a handgun unless you are and excepted person.

Now if you meant that question in the more philisophical, "why is there air?" type sence, then you are right, we should not need a license from the state to carry a gun at all, the 2A covers that.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Drop leg holster = mall ninja

If you think it makes sense to carry one if these around when you aren't going into battle, I'm going to discount everything you say. Sure, it is your right... That doesn't make it right though.

Freaking hilarious.

If you think otherwise, I'll throw you in the same class as the mall ninja idiots.

I think you've had too much kool-ade.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom