• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    I'd have said, thirty years ago people wouldn't get huffy and storm off over something like that.

I know its been mentioned a few times, but let me reiterate. What was a toddler doing in a gun store in the first place? They don't have happy meals and playground equipment there. You don't expect to take a toddler into the garage of your dealership. You don't expect to take an infant in a liquor store. Things that aren't intended for child consumption aren't trying to be child friendly. Personally I go to a gun store for the guns, not the drama. Yeah, its your perogative not to patronize his store, but please don't make a big deal online about how he wouldn't do what you said. Sometimes you don't get to push smokers around. Don't worry though, in another twenty years they will pass more laws and cigarettes will cost $50 a pack and you won't be able to smoke them anywhere, even in your own house... but amazingly pot will be legal.

If we cannot express our concearn then where is our freedom there. I have stated many times through out this thread why children should be able to be with their parents in a gun store. I don't feel like you have gotten the point of the thread. It is not to point out that the owner wouldn't do what the OP said. It is about if you want to make the sale then take into consideration the customers wants and needs. This is simple. About not making it a big deal.....you didn't have to read it. Sounds simple to me!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Customer walks in with baby, smells smoke, walks out. Whining about it on the internet - priceless.

despite the risk of pushing this thread past 20 pages... I'd like to resurface and AGAIN point out that it wasn't the smell of smoke that made me leave. It was someone lighting up in close proximity to my son. Don't believe I whined either. My point was that shop owners lose money for things that they may not think about. If that realization converts more shop owners to running their business smoke-free, then hooray.

I am against smoking bans in businesses since the government should not determine how a private business conducts itself. Their clientele can come and go as they choose, frequent whichever establishment they wish, and the state/municipalities should let the free market decide who gets the $$.

I spoke my peace in the store and amplified it here. Not trying to whine or convince anyone to do anything. I knew of a gun-themed site full of people who spend money in local gun shops and felt it was an appropriate place to share the experience. They can decide based on customer feedback and overall sentiment how they wish to run their business.

<EOM>

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I accept your apology. I state my opinion, but have learn not to take it personally. I too used to smoke. That is why I do understand it is his right. I also have a marketing cert., have taken some business college courses, and managment training. I have been employed in a manager role before also. This is why I look at it from 3 positions. The business wanting to make a sale, the owner wanting to smoke where he pleases, and the OP's as a parent wanting to protect his child. I feel that we are all put here on Earth for a short time and we should be able to have our beliefs, opinions, and freedoms, while being respectful and kind to others at the same time.

We have about the same background as far as managment, schooling etc... But the Gun Shop is my first business venture.
    I quit smoking once for six years and no matter what I can't get those six years back. They are gone and I regret quitting but I did alot of things in my youth I regret. A recent study came out that stated sitting is as bad for your health as smoking. I don't have the link but it was on drudge and shouldn't be hard to find. The point being is that there are lots of things that are bad for us and at some point we have to start living our lives to the fullest and let others do the same.
    I will tell you this and I hope it gives you comfort. Your side will win and my side will lose. I really don't care where you don't smoke, but your side (I am speaking broadly here) cares very deeply about where I smoke. I was in Malibu, Ca and had to walk off of an empty beach back to the parking lot to smoke a cigarette. I am not kidding. An empty beach with nothing to the west of me but ocean. I realized at that moment that my country was roughly 100 yards shorter than I thought it was.
    Thanks for being such a good sport. You obviously have Class.

Indiucky

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Been to enough business seminars to know that shop owner is probably saying "Don't let the door hit ya". A customer that self entitled, feeling that the owner should change his business atmoshpere, for just him. That's not a good relationship for him to enter. Bet dollars to doughnuts he has more than 20 repeat customers because of how he runs his shop. A single sale is never worth losing what keeps the regulars from coming back again

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, probably ought to just leave that kid buckled up in the car. I'll be back out in just a minute, and kids that age are perfectly capable of caring for themselves unsupervised.

I mean, when I was 13 months old, I already had two jobs and paid my own rent.

If I can leave them out in the car when I am in the bar all night, why not at the gun store.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I doubt if the loss of his sale will cripple the business, take your kid home! I used to go into my grandfathers pool hall as a child, smoking, drinking and even Playboy centerfolds on the wall! Guess what? I am still here today! I am old school and sick to death of all the "political correct" pancies walking around stomping on everything "they" don't like! If you don't like something,stay the hell away from it! You smelled smoke but continued to stay there huh? What did you expect??

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah, probably ought to just leave that kid buckled up in the car. I'll be back out in just a minute, and kids that age are perfectly capable of caring for themselves unsupervised.

I mean, when I was 13 months old, I already had two jobs and paid my own rent.
    Big deal. In 1965 I wrecked my first car before I was two years old. I totaled the car, took out an entire cinder block wall of the walkout basement (it was like 15 degrees they just popped!) and was in bed for my nap before the insurance guy even arrived.

Insurance guy to my Mom: I need to speak with the driver.

My Mom: He is taking his nap right now.

Screw car seats, bring back push button transmissions and crucify Ralph Nader on the bumper of any 1974 muscle car with those stupid rubber bumper pads on them that destroyed their beautiful lines. Then seal his crypt by placing on top of it the neutered engine from the same car that had half the HP of the similar 1972 models.

Suck it Ralph and look at the car in this commercial. LOOK AT IT PUNKS! My Dad smoked, I was 4 the year this commercial was made, I never smoked (except the occassional good Cigar) and I still love the car wash. I get nostalgic when I see a pack of pall malls and my dad died young, on his 60 Bday but 5 tours of combat, gun shot wounds, alcohol and stress contributed to it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmzDLzqQ-A0

My Mom quit smoking after he died, and 20 years later is a Championship walker and dominates her age group. She will out live me.

You make your own choices in life, but keep them to yourselves you damn post whoring weenies. Don't clog up my valuable internet time with this kind of BS.

PS still 19 pages

Last edited:

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I went to buy my XD40SC today. I had my 13-month old on my arm and was surprised the shop smelled of smoke. It wasn't awful so I talked to the counter guy and was going to buy it after comparing a few models. Then I see someone who I assumed was the owner light up across the counter from us

I told the sales guy it's likely his shop and he can smoke if he wants, but to do so in proximity to my child cost him a $500 sale.

I'm not naming names since He didn't do anything wrong, but just an odd way to run a business in today's environment.

I'll now spend money at Bud's and not keep the $$ local. Oh well, I tried.
    "he can smoke if he wants" Yeah, his store, his rules! Nice of you to allow it.

"Wasn't awful" So you knew what you were being exposed to.

"Proximity to my child" What would of been the proper proximity that you would have felt comfortable with?

"..today's environment" Sucks!

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    His shop, his rules,at least until the anti smoking zealots figure out a way to stop smoking everywhere except within 5 miles of another human.If a person opens his own business,buys the land,pays his taxes,insurance and a dozen other requirements,it should be up to him if he allows smoking or not. The customer decides where to spend his money.:twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    His shop, his rules,at least until the anti smoking zealots figure out a way to stop smoking everywhere except within 5 miles of another human.If a person opens his own business,buys the land,pays his taxes,insurance and a dozen other requirements,it should be up to him if he allows smoking or not. The customer decides where to spend his money.:twocents:

But no... we are a nation of weasels that want to force our likes and dislikes on everyone else. So we have our elected representatives outlaw smoking in restaurants and bars. We aren't satisfied in just not going there. Oh no! I am more important than personal property rights. Everything must be my way or no way.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    But no... we are a nation of weasels that want to force our likes and dislikes on everyone else. So we have our elected representatives outlaw smoking in restaurants and bars. We aren't satisfied in just not going there. Oh no! I am more important than personal property rights. Everything must be my way or no way.

I think LTC Grosman forgot to name a few types of Peoples in his Book...

I feel he left out Weasels, Coyotes, and Buzzards... ;)

Top Bottom