Russian ground troops and MIGs in Syria.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, more claims of Russia targeting the wrong bad guys in Syria.
    Syria conflict: Dozens killed in suspected Russian strikes - BBC News

At least 43 people have been killed in a series of air strikes believed to have been carried out by Russian planes in the Syrian city of Idlib, according to activists and residents.

But then, there is also this, that I'm putting in this thread because I'm not sure where else to put it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/world/middleeast/samir-kuntar-hezbollah-syria-israel.html

A Hezbollah commander whom Israel reluctantly released in 2008 — nearly 30 years after he took part in a notorious terrorist attack — was killed in an airstrike in Syria, Hezbollah and his family said on Sunday.
    Mr. Kuntar, in his early 50s, died when missiles slammed into a residential building in a crowded neighborhood of Damascus called Jaramana on Saturday night. A man who said he had seen the aftermath of the attack reported that a five-story building had been completely destroyed.

So... no tears for the loss of the dude. But 2 important things of note: the strike was in Damascus and it destroyed the entire building. Both of those things mean (to me) that the US didn't do it. So who did?

The Russians - unlikely. Damascus is the seat of power of their puppet.

The NYT suggests Israel:
    Over the course of the Syrian conflict, Israeli warplanes have hit targets inside Syria several times, with most of those strikes said to be against weapons deliveries meant for Hezbollah.
    They also asked why Russia’s warplanes and antiaircraft guns, deployed in Syria, failed to shoot down the Israeli jets. But Saturday’s attack, according to military analysts, was probably a so-called standoff strike, with four or five rockets fired by Israeli warplanes that did not cross into Syrian airspace.

A stand-off strike would require some long-range GPS munition or laser guided with an assist from someone on the ground lasing the target.

Either way, an Israeli aircraft strike on Damascus would be HUGE. And it would make the airspace even more crowded and deconfliction that much harder. And I find it implausible that it could be done without the Russia's knowledge.

RT is reporting the suggestion of Israeli involvement, but also suggesting "terrorist" mortar attack.
    https://www.rt.com/news/326564-damascus-explosion-jaramana-reports/
    There are conflicting reports regarding the course of events. Some say that there was an Israeli airstrike on the residential area, while other describe the incident as terrorist mortar shelling.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not convinced it was Israel. At least, I don't see how Israel could've accomplished it without Russia turning a blind eye.

Of course, Hezbollah would blame Israel for the phases of the moon, if it served to inspire people to hatred.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And they prove they learned nothing from Afghanistan and assorted other 'stans' as we prove we didn't learn much in Afghanistan either. Taking the territory is the easy part. Holding the territory is where the bleeding begins in earnest

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Putin withdrawing most forces from Syria. Says they have accomplished what they came for. Not sure what they came then. IS is still there in a big way and they don't look to be going anywhere anytime soon. Guess they managed to degrade the rebel forces fighting against Assad quite a bit, though. Putin must not want to get bogged down in a ME war, is my guess.

https://news.vice.com/article/untitled-article-1457978352

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Putin withdrawing most forces from Syria. Says they have accomplished what they came for. Not sure what they came then. IS is still there in a big way and they don't look to be going anywhere anytime soon. Guess they managed to degrade the rebel forces fighting against Assad quite a bit, though. Putin must not want to get bogged down in a ME war, is my guess.

https://news.vice.com/article/untitled-article-1457978352

He pulls out and the price of a gallon of gas goes up but I'm sure that's just a coincidence .

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". I agree, Russia is not our biggest problem. Obama hasn't helped relations by restrictions trade with his executive orders. I would like to see mosins and sks coming from Russia again soon. Maybe the next president will rip up that executive order

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They're making progress, unlike the American sponsored coalition, who seems to be bogged down.

Just riffing on this.

Tangle deepens in Syrian war as U.S.-backed factions clash with each other | U.S. Military | pilotonline.com

In mid-February, a CIA-armed militia called Fursan al Haq, or Knights of Righteousness, was run out of the town of Marea, about 20 miles north of Aleppo, by Pentagon-backed Syrian Democratic Forces moving in from Kurdish-controlled areas to the east.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like Daesh hit some Russian helos at a base in Syria.

Syria conflict: IS 'destroyed helicopters' at T4 base - BBC News

"An entire combat helicopter unit was wiped out - four helicopters in total - as well as some damage to some of the Syrian planes on the airport, and also very notably a logistic depot, likely one that was being used to supply those specific combat helicopters."
    Mr Tack described Amaq's account as "very accurate", and suggested the helicopters and depot were destroyed by IS attacks.

Asymmetric warfare's a сука.

Top Bottom