Russian ground troops and MIGs in Syria.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Its a whole new world.

(Yeah, there's probably an Aladdin meme to go with that, but I'm old.)

Syrian conflict: Russian bombers use Iran base for air strikes - BBC News

Russia's defence ministry says it has used a base in western Iran to carry out air strikes in Syria.

And when I say, "new" world, I really mean "old" as in 1980 or '82, (which isn't really that old, trust me) with US supporting Iraq and Russia supporting Iran.

Yes, that is an oversimplification (almost to the point of absurdity), but it is a starting point.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Coalition jets scrambled to defend U.S. forces from Syrian bombing | Reuters

A U.S.-led coalition sent aircraft into northeastern Syria on Thursday to protect American special operation ground forces from attacks by Syrian government jets, a Pentagon official said on Friday.
    Davis added that additional combat air patrols had been sent to the area in order to protect the ground forces.

Deconfliction: if it were easy, everyone would be able to do it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Russians announced the deployment of the Admiral Kuznetsov to Syria back in July with a projected October date. They are getting a lot of good hands on experience for their troops out of this peacetime operation. If the AK starts flying ops it will mark the first time any Russian carrier engaged in combat operations.

In the meantime things are getting messier on the ground.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Surprise! It's October.

Konashenkov's quote "Let me remind the so-called US strategists that the air cover for the Russian military bases in Hmeimim and Tartus is provided by S-400 and S-300 surface-to-air missile systems, whose range may come as a surprise to any unidentified flying objects."

They are the dominant power in Syria at this time since we have dithered with a failed policy, it is a dare and I think they would actually enforce their 'red line'. The current misadministration still has a few months to lose this war. Any relevant shift of power in the region right now would require our use of strategic assets; a path that would escalate well beyond Syria.

And as Printcraft's referenced article points out, they are getting ready while our population is stressing about clown sightings and who's lives matter.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So, this comment by a US general is full of hypocrisy:
    Russia used Syria as live-fire training - US general - BBC News

The US has used 15 years of warfare for live fire training (and technology demonstrations), too. Hopefully with more regard for civilian casualties than Russia, but conceptually we are no different.

I actually think that's one of the main reasons we continue to find places to stick our noses. My theory is that there is a push within the Pentagon to continually vet our systems, doctrine, technology and people. As a new generation of these comes along, there is the need to test it on a battlefield.

Give somebody an ugly name like communist or terrorist, sell it to the American people, and spend a decade and a half or so enjoying bigger budgets and tweaking the military.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I actually think that's one of the main reasons we continue to find places to stick our noses. My theory is that there is a push within the Pentagon to continually vet our systems, doctrine, technology and people. As a new generation of these comes along, there is the need to test it on a battlefield.

Give somebody an ugly name like communist or terrorist, sell it to the American people, and spend a decade and a half or so enjoying bigger budgets and tweaking the military.
    Unqualified agreement from me.

Especially for the special forces cadres. There's a limit to how much you can "learn" in static environments with airsoft guns. If the normal SF training is masters level coursework, going to combat zones is doctoral level (or beyond).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Russian military plane crashes in Black Sea, 'killing 92' - BBC News

All 92 people on board a Russian military aircraft are feared dead after it crashed into the Black Sea.
    The plane disappeared from radar two minutes after taking off from Sochi at 05:25 (02:25 GMT), heading for Latakia in Syria, the defence ministry said.
    Debris and 11 bodies have been found, with no reports of survivors.
    The Tu-154 was carrying soldiers, reporters and 64 members of the famed Alexandrov military music ensemble who were to perform for Russian troops.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Here's who the obama regime is backing......

[video=youtube;qfq66kgWusc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfq66kgWusc[/video]

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Here's who the obama regime is backing......

Yup, just one of the many reasons that the new administration should say "not in our national interest" and wash it's hands of the whole ME fiasco. The only message they need on leaving is that if we are forced to recognize their existence again we will come and kill them all. And then do it.

There is no Marshall Plan that will pull these tribalist savages from their desire to kill all other 'tribes'. They just need to understand that the wrath of god will be brought down upon them if they see fit to try and expand their sun baked lunacy beyond their own borders.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, sounds like Russians and Americans will be fighting alongside each other in Syria. Trump considering boots on the ground there.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There was a time where the use of chemicals in an attack warranted a nuclear response, was there not?

Spicer blames Syria chemical attack on "the last administration’s weakness and irresolution.”

I really hope the Trump administration plans to do something instead of blaming the last guy for 4 years. This is a good opportunity to show that he's different, and lay down some serious punishment in Syria. No more bull**** red lines.

Syria gas attack reportedly kills dozens - CNN.com

C8l7KKwWsAE0XWv.jpg:large

but...

y9kwD7d.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom