Russian ground troops and MIGs in Syria.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The only way to do it would be WW 2 style. The problem then would us having to battle Russia.
    A classic no win situation.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The only way to do it would be WW 2 style. The problem then would us having to battle Russia.
    A classic no win situation.

Lets look at the population of the country. Syrian rebels, Syrian Troops, and civilians all look alike except for some cloth. That cloth is removable as was done in Iraq.
    Even with out military in charge of troops now it's a task that you can't complete without destroying civilians as well.
    Now, IF we throw out morality and kill everything your method should work IF you kill everyone.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some talk of the attack being discussed by journalists on the ground prior to it happening, and videos of the kids moving around just fine... possibly some propped up as propaganda.

**** like this is ripe for false attack justification, staging injuries or deaths to make it look like Assad's regime did it. Is Trump and his administration looking for a conflict? Is Russia encouraging it?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm sure Russia would love for us to scare Assad out of Syria so he can go into safe exile in Russia... and Russia can install a new puppet.

This is one of the biggest problems we face. Are we trading one thug for another? In 2004 when the purple fingers meant you voted in Iraq I said anyone who risks their life to vote is worth fighting for. 13 years later I don't if I have the same view, especially in Syria. Who are we going to fight and who are we siding with? Are we going to be providing humanitarian relief with some of the same actors we are fighting?

I am not in favor of civilians including children being killed wholesale with Sarin, but this makes Vietnam look like Panama. Does Syria have a bench? Is there anyone who could be in charge and not be doing the same crap as Assad or isn't a Sunni/Shia wanting to kill all of those he ain't!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Some talk of the attack being discussed by journalists on the ground prior to it happening, and videos of the kids moving around just fine... possibly some propped up as propaganda.

**** like this is ripe for false attack justification, staging injuries or deaths to make it look like Assad's regime did it. Is Trump and his administration looking for a conflict? Is Russia encouraging it?

Didn't we see that in Egypt? Same woman crying 200 miles apart? Also, no one fakes nerve gas exposure. Involuntary muscle twitching is hard to fake.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yeah, I agree. The Middle East needs to be left alone, we need to produce our own oil, and let them know that we will leave them alone, but if they screw with us we will find them and kill them....by any means possible. If they screw with us, then kill them. This is not crazy, this is the creed by which these people over there live. I think they would respect that, and if not, they had better believe it. Just my personal opinion.

We do not live in a vacuum...as painful as it will be, someone has to do something, and we are that someone. Did we learn nothing from the destruction that Nazi Germany caused the world?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In this day and age, there are more options than full scale war. I'm concerned that a heavy-handed administration so light on foreign affairs experience will not realize the nuances available.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    And does anyone have a plan about the future. If we get involved and take Assad out, who replaces him?? Iran would simply slide in there and we would have Iran Part II. And just a stones throw from Israeli borders.
    The guy is definitely a bad guy, but what if the replacement is worse?

And I disagree that WE have to do something about it. We have not had much luck with regime change in that part of the world. We need to just stay out of it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And does anyone have a plan about the future. If we get involved and take Assad out, who replaces him?? Iran would simply slide in there and we would have Iran Part II. And just a stones throw from Israeli borders.
    The guy is definitely a bad guy, but what if the replacement is worse?

And I disagree that WE have to do something about it. We have not had much luck with regime change in that part of the world. We need to just stay out of it.

Well, I think our regime change efforts have generally been more successful (a loaded word, depending on chosen metric, of course) than leave-it-alone efforts. And, at this point, a stable Iran (who has had its own clashes with Daesh) influencing a modestly stable Syria might not be bad.

Yeah, there are alot of things to work out, and I'm not advocating any one approach, but I think we should take a more active role. So yeah, I'm advocating against doing nothing, I guess. :)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can't recall if Jamil peruses this thread... and haven't seen Kut in a while...

It was common to say Clinton would start WW3. But now that it seems Trump is leaning that way with possibly intervening in Syria... Would this be considered Bad Trump?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I still say give Russia another Afghanistan and WE keep the heck out of it.
    Why would we sacrifice more of our youth for an unwinnable cause.
    These wars will continue with or without our intervention

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ehhh.... when a government is allegedly gassing it's people, that's a problem. It may be a delicate situation, but it does need to be dealt with by someone. Right now it seems like everyone is standing around waiting for the other guy to go in and fix it.

I know it's not our job, but sometimes it's the right thing to do. Just my opinion.

The 2013 Trump (in the tweet) is still correct. Not only is it not our job, if the mission is to fix it - there is no rational plan that can achieve that result. The right thing to do is waste no more blood and treasure on a region that only stops trying to kill us when they're busy trying to kill each other. Cage match, stay out of it

No good deed goes unpunished.
    Look at our history in the area helping out and arming countries. We're 0-4 except for Israel.
    We're better off doing the behind the scenes covert nasties and retaliate that way. The US hasn't shown the capacity to actually win in that theater of operations so far. IF we do win then what the hell are we going to do with the place? Give it back to the next mass murderer with a different name. We're going to fight a culture that knows no compassion ON EITHER SIDE.
    I don't think the US Population will tolerate the destruction it will take to take down Assad.

^^This^^^^^^. The voices that will be crying the loudest that we need to right this wrong won't go within a hundred miles of a recruiter, either

"Let's have a war so you can go die" - Fear, Let's Have a War

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ehhh.... when a government is allegedly gassing it's people, that's a problem. It may be a delicate situation, but it does need to be dealt with by someone. Right now it seems like everyone is standing around waiting for the other guy to go in and fix it.

I know it's not our job, but sometimes it's the right thing to do. Just my opinion.

View attachment 54632

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    BREAKING NEWS! Tomahawk cruise missiles launched at Syrian Air Bases holding chemical weapons.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We have certain radars that can track individual artillery shells back to the source. The a/c making this attack would not have cruised over at altitude and dropped bombs like a B29. The profile flown would have been indicative of a bombing attack, and I would bet you everything in the air anywhere near our own troops is tracked 24/7 from rise above the radars horizon until return to base. I have no doubt we knew where the a/c originated, what type of a/c they were and quite possibly who was flying them (ELINT)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, not really that hard to figure out, especially with as much time spent on deconfliction in the area. If they knew when/where the bombs were dropped, they can figure out where the sorties came from.

Smart to notify the Russians of the attack, so they could get their people busy selling replacements to the Syrians....

Top Bottom