Russian ground troops and MIGs in Syria.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We moved into Central Europe when the Russians were weak ; why wouldn't they do basically the same?

As I understand it, Central Europe clamored to move towards NATO becaused they'd had enough of Russia's "friendship." I see your point and certainly that's how the Russians seem to see it, but I don't think the two situations are the same.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    As I understand it, Central Europe clamored to move towards NATO becaused they'd had enough of Russia's "friendship." I see your point and certainly that's how the Russians seem to see it, but I don't think the two situations are the same.
    Yes, I mean that was the Russian's take. Now they're paying back.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Deconfliction, and why it is important:
    Syria conflict: Turkish jets 'intercept Russian plane' - BBC News
    Turkish F-16 fighter jets were scrambled after a Russian warplane violated Turkey's air space on Saturday, the foreign ministry said.
    Russia said the incident was a "navigational error" and that it has "clarified" the matter to Ankara.
    Turkish jets patrolling the border were also "harassed" by an unidentified plane on Sunday, Turkey said.

Hypothetically, a "navigational error" could put a Russian aircraft bombing Turkish forces (or other forces within Turkey). This is the same Turkey that remains a member of NATO. The same NATO that calls on members to defend each other.

Maybe this should've gone in the WWIII thread....

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Explain? I'm not really versed on the Bible... what does this entail?

The cliff notes version is that China and Russia will work together with other countries to try and destroy Isreal .

However , that CAN'T be possible because the INGO experts say that the two countries will never work together , so it's all good .

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Prediction: Russia will do more damage to IS in 4 months than Obama has done in 4 years.

Okay. Prediction met, but in less than one month, not four.

Islamic State: ISIS command post in Syria destroyed by Russian airstrike ordered by Putin | World | News | Daily Express

The raids come after a senior British military expert said the West has been totally outflanked by Putin on the Syria crisis because its policy making has been dominated by "wishful thinking".
    “A bunker-busting BETAB-500 air bomb dropped from a Sukhoi Su-34 bomber near Raqqa has eliminated the command post of one of the terror groups, together with an underground storage facility for explosives and munitions.

This is what a modern military that is determined to fight a war can do. The US hasn't tried in a long time.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    One thing came to my mind when Russia , and now China, entered this conflict. They both get to test their new toys in real-world situations. Plus, the potential is there for them to test their stuff versus our stuff.

I read an article on Facebook that said some SU-34s chased Israeli F-15s out of Syrian airspace. The Russians are going to get a look at Israeli capabilities and be able to better protect the Iranian nuclear facilities from an Israeli attack.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One thing came to my mind when Russia , and now China, entered this conflict. They both get to test their new toys in real-world situations. Plus, the potential is there for them to test their stuff versus our stuff.

That's kinda what we've used that area for, too, if you think about it. Not so much modern tech v. modern tech, but to refine doctrine and training.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Admiral Komoyedov (head of Defense Committee in the lower house of Russian parliament) said that Russia will not be sending ground troops. Instead he said to expect to see Russian 'volunteers' (combat veterans for hire) in Syrian units. Much like their non-involvement in the Ukraine.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Daily Mail...no units identified...photos of guys in mismatched uniforms with no patches...all they have to be to meet the Russian qualification is to be on leave. It adds a whole new level of ridiculous to plausible deniability or responsibility deflection.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The Russians have apparently been dropping leaflets in Syria accusing the US and Israel of being behind the Al-Nusra Front, (an Al-Quaida affiliate). They're definitely in this to back Assad, (duh) and couldn't really care less about anything else, other than gaining a foothold.

us_israeli_windup_zpsabgvulpg.jpg

Attachments

• us_israeli_windup_zpsabgvulpg.jpg
      us_israeli_windup_zpsabgvulpg.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 2

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hah, wow... they aren't subtle about what they think. Is war propaganda like this still as popular as it was back in WW2?

Also, Turkish PM says only 2 out of 56 Russian airstrikes have targeted ISIS positions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Somewhat ironic, but I think Daesh will be as offended (perhaps more) than US representatives.

ETA:
    Russia's Navy is getting some live fire training, too.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34465425

But, perhaps more interesting:
    Meanwhile, Syrian ground troops have launched an offensive under Russian air cover, Syrian officials say.

Yaaaaaaah, those are Syrian-only troops. Not a single Little Green Man or Russian "adviser" in the bunch.

Top Bottom