Russian ground troops and MIGs in Syria.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The Alawites are basicall Shi'a, like Iran.

Daesh self-describes as more Sunni (basically).

Russia doesn't really care.

I wonder if Iran getting involved in Syria against Daesh (which is almost inevitable) directly portends a broader scale Sunni v. Shi'a war.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The big ones almost always start small. They just keep getting bigger until some defining event happens and they can no longer be ignored.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Russian FM Lavrov says Russia targeted 'depots and sites' of Islamic State militants in Syria air strikes

Rubio 9/16: "The Russians will begin to fly--fly combat missions in that region, not just targeting ISIS, but in order to prop up Assad..."

Pudly said:
    Who says anyone is lying at all?

Me, I guess.

US: Russia attacked US-backed Syrians.
    Russia: We attacked ISIS.

I figure one of those is untrue.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    US: Russia attacked US-backed Syrians.
    Russia: We attacked ISIS.

I figure one of those is untrue.

I don't. The US is anti-Assad, knowingly helped create ISIS and has supplied at least some of their training and weaponry. The US claims to be attacking ISIS, but in truth has been such a spectacular failure (ISIS-controlled territory has grown massively since we've declared them the enemy) that is as if they aren't really trying. I don't believe that this administration is actively anti-ISIS at all at this point, but instead does just enough to keep the rubes at home quiet. Russia is pro-Assad and anti-ISIS. I don't see any conflict in those two statements.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't. The US is anti-Assad, knowingly helped create ISIS and has supplied at least some of their training and weaponry. The US claims to be attacking ISIS, but in truth has been such a spectacular failure (ISIS-controlled territory has grown massively since we've declared them the enemy) that is as if they aren't really trying. I don't believe that this administration is actively anti-ISIS at all at this point, but instead does just enough to keep the rubes at home quiet. Russia is pro-Assad and anti-ISIS. I don't see any conflict in those two statements.

Leading from behind always results in spectacular failures. Ask the French.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How Putin blindsided the US over Syria - BBC News

Isn't there something totally jaw-dropping, gob-smacking, eyebrow-arching, ear twitchingly extraordinary - and not to mention, casual - about the way the Americans learnt about Russian plans?
    It began with a phone call from a Russian diplomat to his counterpart in Baghdad to say "we've got something interesting to tell you".
    Then a three-star Russian general leaves the Russian embassy compound and knocks on the door of the American one, and asks to see the US military attache.
    He tells the American military man that bombing starts in an hour, so you'd better get out of Syrian airspace now and move any assets you have off the ground. And 60 minutes later, the bombing started.
    Wow. To say the Americans were blindsided by this unorthodox line of communication is to put it mildly. Having had their "clear the air" meeting on Monday night there was an anticipation that though there might be big policy differences, there would be a degree of co-ordination and openness.
    Just consider this - the risks of a US fighter plane running into a Russian one with unimaginable consequences has just ratcheted up.

Top Bottom