RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Two shooters to one lane with 9 firearms between them and they rented two more??? Seems like some people have unlimited time, money and ammo. BLB training, one guy sort of knew what he was doing with 5 others that were newbys on 3 lanes. One of the newbys struggled about 30 seconds trying to insert a mag into a Ruger P-85 with the sheet metal factory mag loader still on the end of the mag. :laugh: Finally waited for the "instructor" for assistance. None of the people were doing anything dangerous but all, including the so called instructors were clueless.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    32 round Glock mag at 7 yards, slow fire, 27 hits 5 misses. :facepalm:
    P7EtZuX.jpg
    If I ever shot this horrible at 7 yards, I'd beat my own face with a boot heel.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As professionals in the business we all have witnessed Billy Bob Shooter more times than we like to think. The trick is, as Ambassadors to the Shooting Sports, Sportsmanship or Defense we need to bring BBS up to a better level of gun handling. After all NONE of us started out perfect. Responsible Manufacturing, Marketing and getting BBS to take the training to get better should be our goal to keep us all from being just another Death Merchant (Profiting from the gun culture without merit). This is the hard part. It takes people skills and the understanding of how BBS thinks to even think about turning him. Training with no follow through is useless. A few trainers in the area, me included, offer small match CCW organized events. Be the change that Billy Bob needs and feel good about your accomplishments. It isn't about making fun of the less committed gun culture, it is about how many we can turn in our careers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As professionals in the business we all have witnessed Billy Bob Shooter more times than we like to think. The trick is, as Ambassadors to the Shooting Sports, Sportsmanship or Defense we need to bring BBS up to a better level of gun handling. After all NONE of us started out perfect. Responsible Manufacturing, Marketing and getting BBS to take the training to get better should be our goal to keep us all from being just another Death Merchant (Profiting from the gun culture without merit). This is the hard part. It takes people skills and the understanding of how BBS thinks to even think about turning him. Training with no follow through is useless. A few trainers in the area, me included, offer small match CCW organized events. Be the change that Billy Bob needs and feel good about your accomplishments. It isn't about making fun of the less committed gun culture, it is about how many we can turn in our careers.

Truth here of course.

i see this as a info thread that just brings these people to the fore. Possibly getting more than a few of us to step up in the manner you suggest.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I was in there the other day. Yet again I didn't make the cut.

However: NHT3: You really need to counsel fellow employees about their choices of carry holsters and belts. Far far far far too many PB employes are walking around with horrible choices for those things.

the range officer the other day when I was there had one of those dumb softish leather "convertible" holsters. One of those you-can-wear-it-OWB-or-IWB as you see fit. He had his OWB the other day. The give-away was the large black spring steel IWB belt clip that was front and center on his holster. At least I think that guy wears a good belt. But the floor employees? Not nearly enough gun belts on those guys' (it was all guys when I was there the other day) waists. It's embarrassing.

But at least there's no Tactical Timmy running around with a thigh rig.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Truth here of course.

i see this as a info thread that just brings these people to the fore. Possibly getting more than a few of us to step up in the manner you suggest.

Agree. At first this thread made me cringe because I thought of all the lurkers/newbies who might read this and become discouraged. Plus it’s mentioned what location this is and maybe people might be scared to go there and become fodder. But, I think it’s better to post it so those same people can see a sampling of things not to do. Maybe this will be motivation to develop humility and get some training.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I enjoy this thread because it gives me hope as a not so great shooter. I look at the targets displayed on here and I am not as bad as I thought I was. I think if the newbies stop by and see themselves on the thread then they were actually just taught something. I understand the teaching concept but the job of the RSO is not instructor it is to keep all shooters and guests safe by enforcing gun safety rules. I have read on here many times where they have attempted to cross the line and give some advice and have been shunned by the "all knowing" person they are trying to help. I say keep it going. The biggest concern I would have from this thread is that one of the subjects would see their pic on here, they know who they are even without a face shot. and try to sue someone for hurting their feelings and embarrassing them.

Last edited:

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    The other thing I did not mention in my prior post is that most of these people are probably not gun enthusiasts like most of us are or they would know better concerning safety rules, how to properly secure the weapon, etc. With that in mind I am not sure that they would even know about INGO or care to look around on here.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I agree 100%, something like a newbie concealed carry match. I would be happy to get together with a few guys to try to put something like this together. Problem is BBS doesn't know how little he knows and safety has to be the primary goal of any training/ match. I know some feel intimidated by the Carry gun match but I've convinced a few people to just come and watch and all felt it was much more like a bunch of buddies shooting together than a match. People tend to take it personally when you tell them they are unsafe and I don't know how to change human nature.. Coach DQed a couple of guys a few matches back, one for breaking the 180 and the other for sweeping his left hand while drawing. (warned him the first time and DQed after the second time) One guy immediately got into the Carry practice league and the other disappeared never to return. I don't know how to fix that. If a few guys want to get together and try to figure out how to get the newbies started I'll be happy to talk about ideas. I think you will find most are unreachable because they are convinced that the don't need training.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I enjoy this thread because it gives me hope as a not so great shooter. I look at the targets displayed on here and I am not as bad as I thought I was. I think if the newbies stop by and see themselves on the thread then they were actually just taught something. I understand the teaching concept but the job of the RSO is not instructor it is to keep all shooters and guests safe by enforcing gun safety rules. I have read on here many times where they have attempted to cross the line and give some advice and have been shunned by the "all knowing" person they are trying to help. I say keep it going. The biggest concern I would have from this thread is that one of the subjects would see their pic on here, they know who they are even without a face shot. and try to sue someone for hurting their feelings and embarrassing them.
    I thought about that too but targets with holes are pretty generic. On a busy day I'll see 10 targets like the one I post pictures of, they are the norm of what I'm seeing. In the last year I've suggested to 4 or 5 people coming to the carry match. 98% are not safe enough in their gun handling that I would want to be in a hot range with them. I keep the pictures fuzzy and generic and my reason for starting this thread is just as you suggested. I want to encourage those that think they aren't capable. Most of us that practice and train are more capable that we realize. A little bit of encouragement and training will go a long way.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I was in there the other day. Yet again I didn't make the cut.

However: NHT3: You really need to counsel fellow employees about their choices of carry holsters and belts. Far far far far too many PB employes are walking around with horrible choices for those things.

the range officer the other day when I was there had one of those dumb softish leather "convertible" holsters. One of those you-can-wear-it-OWB-or-IWB as you see fit. He had his OWB the other day. The give-away was the large black spring steel IWB belt clip that was front and center on his holster. At least I think that guy wears a good belt. But the floor employees? Not nearly enough gun belts on those guys' (it was all guys when I was there the other day) waists. It's embarrassing.

But at least there's no Tactical Timmy running around with a thigh rig.

I could write an hour on this but I'll try to make it quick. I was told IWB and generic pants are mandated because a frightened customer complained about a drop leg holster and tactical pants not long after the first store opened. I've given up on even noticing what people carry because it makes me crazy. 22s, taurus Curve and Spectrum, middle of the back. You name it I see it all. I think employees should be trained and reminded about simple gun handling. Saw an employee talking to a customer with a gun pointed at his own hand and finger on the trigger. I know it was unloaded, chamber flag had just been removed but it still looks very unprofessional and the customers think it's acceptable if they see employees doing it. I'm not perfect and make mistakes but I try to make it appear I know what I'm doing.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    40 in a 45.. There's something wrong with this ammo, some of it falls out the end of the barrel when I load it.

QfOKVbE.jpg

Guy hands me this clip, I asked "did you shoot it?" No, it just won't open anymore. You CAN NOT make this stuff up.

kQW7oBu.jpg
    I once had to explain to a chap why a .45 wouldn't fit into a .40. Mind boggling I say.
    7f46d8af281d54d89cbddceba3ee55d1.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Fellow managed to shoot his middle finger off in the parking lot of ITP recently. Don't worry, though, he cleaned it with puddle water.

Top Bottom