• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If they are out of the safe for protection, there is one in the chamber, except the shot gun, because that sound of racking it will make anyone unwelcome s*** themselves.

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    In my opinion if one was in a crowded room and needed to draw as quick as possible there are people going to be behind you as well. I have a m&p .45 that can still be fired without the magazine and I OC. If someone were to snatch my pistol from behind at a moments notice. I'd like to be able to have a chance to fight back and either take the gun back or drop the mag. Thats why I dont keep one in the chamber

OK, no offense, but it sounds like you need more comfort with carrying and weapon retention... and if you really think you are going to be able to drop the mag while someone is taking your weapon I am afraid you will be sorely shocked!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I carry +1, I've always carried +1, I carried +1 with a Colt Combat Commander cocked and locked when I was 18! I've never had an ND, never... why, because if you keep your damn finger off the trigger, and don't be a moron, the gun won't go off!!!!!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    OK, no offense, but it sounds like you need more comfort with carrying and weapon retention... and if you really think you are going to be able to drop the mag while someone is taking your weapon I am afraid you will be sorely shocked!

I agree.Not having a round in the chamber is NOT a weapon retention technique that will prevent you from being shot with your own gun.
    It will only prevent you from shooting your attacker quicky.

If someone manage to take your gun away from you it means that you didn't see it coming and didn't have time to react.Otherwise you would still be in control of your gun, so you wont have time to drop the mag or to even think about it.

Then once the gun is in your attacker's hand you are not safe because there is no round in the chamber.Someone with any training will chamber a round as they get control of the gun.
    That's the first thing I do if I pick someone else's gun, I rack the slide because I dont if he keeps one in the chamber or not.
    That's what you practice in Krav Maga's disarm.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    For me its a simple question. Do you have kids? If yes, then NO do not have one in the chamber. If you are a lone wolf....YES have one in the chamber. If you are worried just a little more about safety, then the XDM is the way to go because it has lots of safety features.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    For me its a simple question. Do you have kids? If yes, then NO do not have one in the chamber. If you are a lone wolf....YES have one in the chamber. If you are worried just a little more about safety, then the XDM is the way to go because it has lots of safety features.
    Sorry, but I have to categorically dissagree with this thought.

BECAUSE I have a wife & kids at home, or out with me, I AM GOING TO carry +1. They are one added reason I need to survive & have a responsibility to stop the BG.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Why is there anything to do with kids??? :dunno:

If you have kids they dont have access to your gun anyway.
    Loaded or not kids cannot have access to my gun.
    How is it saffer for your kids to not have a round in the chamber?
    Does that mean your kids can play with your gun, because it's "safe", because it has no round in the chamber and it only becomes dangerous with a round in the chamber? :n00b:

I would say especially if you have kids and loved ones to protect, then carry with one in the chamber.
    Because having a non loaded gun (for me no round in the chamber is just like having it unloaded since you cant fire it in that condition) wont protect them and could get them killed.

If you dont care about your own safety, dont have kids and loved ones to protect then dont carry your gun loaded.Dont even carry a gun if it's to have it unloaded anyway. :rolleyes:

How can your grab your kid with one hand while shooting at the BG with the other if you have no round in the chamber?
    How can you shoot the BG in time even with both hands free if you have no round in the chamber?

I think some force on force training would open your eyes on the need to carry +1.

:twocents:

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Here's the video:

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

Please enlighten us on which bullet killed the store owner. Was it the first bullet, or the several more that he took while trying to get his "safe" pistol into action by racking the slide? Looks to me like although he may have been shot once or twice, a ready pistol would have allowed him to return fire effectively and perhaps defended himself from death, if not injury.

Roll however you see fit. Personally, I choose not to stick my head in the sand. Twenty + years experience in carrying a Glock, chamber always loaded, zero problems.
    :+1:
    The best defense is a good offense. The poor store owner needed to chamber a round before shooting back. (delaying his offense) Had he been able to get off some rounds (offense), this would have played out differently. One or all of the attackers would have gone into a more "defensive" mode and possibly ran, hid, just plain missed or been shot.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I know I'm not alone in thinking that the fifth rule of safe gun handling that I'm teaching my offspring is "Don't ever touch a gun without permission. If you ever touch my guns without permission, I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it." Yes, he knows I'm being overly dramatic, but he gets the point. He also knows he can ask anytime and I'll be happy to do some firearms education.

And one of my answers to why I carry is, "Because I have a family and my crystal ball is broken." Same reason I 16+1.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I know I'm not alone in thinking that the fifth rule of safe gun handling that I'm teaching my offspring is "Don't ever touch a gun without permission. If you ever touch my guns without permission, I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it." Yes, he knows I'm being overly dramatic, but he gets the point. He also knows he can ask anytime and I'll be happy to do some firearms education.

And one of my answers to why I carry is, "Because I have a family and my crystal ball is broken." Same reason I 16+1.

:+1:

My granddaughter @ 2 years old would say "Gun! No Touch!" and put her hands at her side, every time she saw one..

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I will open carry or concealed carry depending on the situation but until now haven't felt the need to have one in the pipe. I am very proficient at drawing and racking but will now be taking the next step since it makes sense for me and I am ready. :rockwoot:

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I carry a glock with one in the chamber. With the xd you have the extra safety that the glock doesn't have, grip safety. I say carry how your comfortable, but if you put one in the chamber you can defend yourself faster without having to use both hands to rack the slide.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will open carry or concealed carry depending on the situation but until now haven't felt the need to have one in the pipe. I am very proficient at drawing and racking but will now be taking the next step since it makes sense for me and I am ready. :rockwoot:

I had to work up to it as well. It just makes more sense to carry one "in the pipe" to me. Too many situations that could cause you to have only one hand free. Yes, you can learn to rack it on your belt, pants, whatever, but... why add that step? :dunno:

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    If you are not comfortable enough to carry this weapon with one in the chamber, You need to do one of four things.
    1: Practice at the range until you are.
    2: Chose a different firearm and practice with it until you are.
    3: Carry a knife
    4: Don't carry.

The point is, Get comfortable enough so you don't hurt yourself or someone else unintentionally and so you can properly defend yourself. How many police officers do you think would tell you they do not carry with one in the pipe. There is a good reason for the answer. Practice and training, no compromise.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Would you carry a revolver all the way loaded? I think you would. So why not one in your xd? Without one in the pipe you are just carrying an empty gun. You think you will have enough time to chamber one when you need it? Better think again. Always carry loaded and ready to go.

Depends on the age of the revolver. The older style single actions were notorious for going off, so they were often carried with an empty chamber under the hammer.

Most modern ones now have a firing pin block that keeps AD's from happening.

Top Bottom