• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are not comfortable enough to carry this weapon with one in the chamber, You need to do one of four things.
    1: Practice at the range until you are. Agreed
    2: Chose a different firearm and practice with it until you are. Also Agreed
    3: Carry a knife Yes, in addition TO your firearm
    4: Don't carry. Not sure I would go THAT far. I would rather see someone carry with an empty chamber, than not carry at all...

The point is, Get comfortable enough so you don't hurt yourself or someone else unintentionally and so you can properly defend yourself. How many police officers do you think would tell you they do not carry with one in the pipe. There is a good reason for the answer. Practice and training, no compromise.

See above in RED

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That video is a bit goofy. I understand what they are trying to do, but to let a stranger get that close to you in the first place, with a hand concealed, is poor situational awareness.

I carry both ways. When driving, etc, I tend to carry without one in the pipe. When I enter certain parts of town, I rack a round.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That video is a bit goofy. I understand what they are trying to do, but to let a stranger get that close to you in the first place, with a hand concealed, is poor situational awareness.

I carry both ways. When driving, etc, I tend to carry without one in the pipe. When I enter certain parts of town, I rack a round.

So it's a bright sunny day, you are driving along with the windows down, arm hanging on the door, pull up to a light, and a car jacker with a knife grabs your arm..

Now what? :dunno:

Personally, I think it is bad situational awareness to relax in "safe" parts of town, and go alert in "bad" parts.. just my :twocents:

emayer7285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I would say if you feel uncomfortable, carry without one in the pipe for a little bit and see if you have any issues that would cause you to continue carrying that way. After that carry ready to go cause bad guys don't wait for you to be ready.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I started carrying without one in the pipe. I still do from time to time, depending on where I am going. If I am traveling to Indianapolis, especially the Castleton Mall, I always have one in chamber ready.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Everyone should carry exactly as I do. Empty pipe and CC.

If you carry +1 and OC, a 5 year old girl will grab your gun and shoot you with it.

Honestly......carry however you feel comfortable carrying. No one else should determine how you carry or what you carry but yourself. There are positives and negatives to each method. Just figure out what works best for you and go with that. Hearing different opinions is great, but in the end.......it's YOUR choice.

Just be sure to incorporate your style of carry into your training.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Really?

Aside from emotional discomfort, I am unaware of the debate points that would promote unloaded carry. :dunno:

The only debate point I can see is that when a person is first starting to get used to carrying, they don't trust their gun or don't feel comfortable with one in the pipe. Once they carry for awhile and get some training and range time in, they typically get to the point where they feel comfortable carrying +1.

I've heard some say that it is an extra safety precaution in case their kids get ahold of the gun, but if you think there is even a slight chance that your kids could get ahold of your gun, you shouldn't have a gun IMO.

Saw this on defensivecarry.com and thought it was great! Haha

I think everyone should carry condition seven.

For those not familiar, condition seven is where I carry a pistol's slide, my wife carries the frame and my adult son carries the magazine. With a little practice, I can be ready to defend us in only a little over two minutes.

Still, I'm a bit hesitant about having the weapon so very nearly assembled. We're discussing moving to condition thirty seven, which is where I carry the slide, my wife carries the frame, my son carries the unloaded magazine and we don't carry any ammo at all, hoping that in an emergency some passer-by will have spare 9mm to lend. Anybody else using this?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only debate point I can see is that when a person is first starting to get used to carrying, they don't trust their gun or don't feel comfortable with one in the pipe. Once they carry for awhile and get some training and range time in, they typically get to the point where they feel comfortable carrying +1.
    If you are uncomfortable carrying a loaded Firearm perhaps you shouldn't carry one at all...

I've heard some say that it is an extra safety precaution in case their kids get ahold of the gun, but if you think there is even a slight chance that your kids could get ahold of your gun, you shouldn't have a gun IMO.
    I would rather Educate the Children about firearms, much better than not carrying in my opinion...

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    If you are uncomfortable carrying a loaded Firearm perhaps you shouldn't carry one at all...

I would rather Educate the Children about firearms, much better than not carrying in my opinion...

I didn't carry +1 until a few days ago. I've been shooting shotguns and rifles for years, but was new to handguns (got my first in October). I was uncomfortable carrying with one in the pipe for awhile until I got used to the gun and got some range time in. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I carry +1. I disagree that not carrying at all is better than carrying without one in the chamber.

I do agree that you should educate your kids about guns and take away the curiosity and replace it with knowledge and respect for guns. I just don't let my 2 year old son have access to it ever. Once he is old enough, I will educate him. That was what my comment was regarding....younger kids.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I didn't carry +1 until a few days ago. I've been shooting shotguns and rifles for years, but was new to handguns (got my first in October). I was uncomfortable carrying with one in the pipe for awhile until I got used to the gun and got some range time in. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I carry +1.
    Good for you now educate yourself on the Laws and intricacies of Carrying...
    I disagree that not carrying at all is better than carrying without one in the chamber.
    And when the Bad Man is Harming you what are you going to do with a Firearm that is unloaded?!
    Beat them with it?!
    It is not a Hammer it is a Firearm, shoot the Bastages...
    I do agree that you should educate your kids about guns and take away the curiosity and replace it with knowledge and respect for guns. I just don't let my 2 year old son have access to it ever. Once he is old enough, I will educate him. That was what my comment was regarding....younger kids.
    Actually right now is the perfect time to start training your Child about Firearms, at that age the would soak it up like a Sponge and by the time they are old enough to handle them you would be miles ahead of everyone else in his age range... :twocents::popcorn:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I didn't carry +1 until a few days ago. I've been shooting shotguns and rifles for years, but was new to handguns (got my first in October). I was uncomfortable carrying with one in the pipe for awhile until I got used to the gun and got some range time in. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I carry +1. I disagree that not carrying at all is better than carrying without one in the chamber.

..just an FYI, as I posted earlier, when my granddaughter was 2, she already knew that guns were "no touch".

Just sayin..

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Good for you now educate yourself on the Laws and intricacies of Carrying...

And when the Bad Man is Harming you what are you going to do with a Firearm that is unloaded?!
    Beat them with it?!
    It is not a Hammer it is a Firearm, shoot the Bastages...

Actually right now is the perfect time to start training your Child about Firearms, at that age the would soak it up like a Sponge and by the time they are old enough to handle them you would be miles ahead of everyone else in his age range... :twocents::popcorn:

I educated myself on the laws before I even bought a handgun. I'm here for tips from seasoned carriers and appreciate the information I have gained from all of you.

I believe I would be better off in certain situations carrying without one in the chamber than I would be without carrying at all, but I now understand that +1 is the way to go in EVERY situation, though.

I've taught my son what my gun is and that it's "no touch". Just awaiting him growing up and going out to the range with me.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to be carrying a Springfield XD9 subcompact soon and I want to know what other people that carry guns that don't have a thumb safety think: Round in the chamber when carrying, or just in the magazine? I know it would be best in a self defense situation to have one in the chamber, but how does safety when not in a defensive situation play into that?

Do you know for certain that your XD9 will chamber a round?
    Kind of basic to this discussion.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Mark

Posted from my Emboyd

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I don't understand how people can carry with an empty chamber because they are so concerned about safety yet don't feel it is worth getting some quality defensive pistol training. If you are so worried about being safe, why are you carrying a gun when you have never been properly instructed on how to draw a pistol?

I say this because nobody who has taken a quality class like a Gunsite class would even consider carrying with an empty chamber.

If you are worried about safety, go get quality training and learn to be safe.

Last, despite what we all like to tell ourselves... not all thugs are untrained incompetent idiots. It is common for prisoners to practice disarming drills on each other among many other training drills. I guarantee you that their gun will be loaded when they attack you. Yours being unloaded is a quick way to lose a gunfight.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    im just not sure i see a point in carrying at all if your not going to be ready when shtf. not haveing one in the chamber to me would be just like not haveing a weapon at all. i would just think that if a situation came about that you wouldnt have time to think "o yea i need to chamber a round". i think you should be trained, locked and loaded.

just my:twocents:

andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Do you know for certain that your XD9 will chamber a round?
    Kind of basic to this discussion.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Mark

Posted from my Emboyd

I personally would find any firearm rather useless without the ability to chamber a round.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Top Bottom