• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I ALWAYS put my thumb directly behind the slide

I too carry the XD9sc. It was/is my first EDC. At first, I didn't carry with one in the chamber, but then I read about the 21 foot rule and it changed my thoughts on carrying with one in the chamber. I now carry locked & cocked at all times.

The grip safety is one of the features that I like most about the XD9sc. If you know your equipment ND is not as much an issue.

NOTE: One thing I have gotten into the habit of when holstering my weapon though: I ALWAYS put my thumb directly behind the slide when holstering and push with my thumb, rather than holding onto the grip which depresses the grip safety.

I use a Tagua holster for CC BTW. For OC, I use the Blackhawk Serpa so placing the XDsc into it is more of a "drop in" rather than a "push in."

Hope this helps!

th_holsteringxd9.jpg

The same here. I just started using my XD9 in a DeSantas IWB. It fits snug+pushing it in can sometimes feel awkward.
    This setup does pack in closer to my body than my G-22 in a Blackhawk Serpa, and is easier to cover..Bill.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I recommend carrying around your house with a snap cap in the chamber and some in the magazine. After a day or two of carrying this way, you'll see if there's some mechanical failure (probably not) or physical reason your sidearm will have fired (trigger pulled).

My guess is, unless you're fiddling with it, coonfingering it, or some other manipulation, you're going to find out that your holstered sidearm is not going to automagically go "bang" sitting where it's supposed to be in it's holster.

This is also a great way to practice your draw stroke, indexing your finger down the slide instead of on the trigger, and your re-holstering without fear.

You'll get used to carrying +1 in no time once you trust your sidearm.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    The same here. I just started using my XD9 in a DeSantas IWB. It fits snug+pushing it in can sometimes feel awkward.
    This setup does pack in closer to my body than my G-22 in a Blackhawk Serpa, and is easier to cover..Bill.

+1 I do this as well, especially since I've been using my new Blackhawk Pancake leather holster. Even though my holster is relatively new, I'm reminded of the guy with the Glock and the worn leather holster that shot himself and his car because his holster pulled his trigger. Not pressing the grip safety reduces that chance.

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    In my opinion if one was in a crowded room and needed to draw as quick as possible there are people going to be behind you as well. I have a m&p .45 that can still be fired without the magazine and I OC. If someone were to snatch my pistol from behind at a moments notice. I'd like to be able to have a chance to fight back and either take the gun back or drop the mag. Thats why I dont keep one in the chamber

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    HELLO MR LEE!!! long time no see

I carry an XDM 9, and would suggest that you do what was stated above. Practice drawing your weapon unloaded and just get immune to not putting your finger near the trigger. Another thing, have you carried before? If not then i would carry without one in the chamber for a while so that you you get comfortable with just carrying.

Very good advice. You've got to be able to trust yourself and your pistol.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    In my opinion if one was in a crowded room and needed to draw as quick as possible there are people going to be behind you as well. I have a m&p .45 that can still be fired without the magazine and I OC. If someone were to snatch my pistol from behind at a moments notice. I'd like to be able to have a chance to fight back and either take the gun back or drop the mag. Thats why I dont keep one in the chamber

You gotta watch out for those five-year-old girls.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I always carry one in the pipe. Always.

If you subscribe to the 4 rules, ou know the gun is always loaded, even when it's unloaded, it's still loaded. Treat it that way, practice and you'll be fine.

In the event that you actually need to use your firearm to defend yourself or someone else, the adrenaline dump will impact your motor skills. The less steps you need to take to fire the weapon and save your/someone else's life the better.

Relying on an ability to unholster AND rack the slide while under intense stress is fool hearted IMO.

andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Thanks for your opinion everyone. I picked up a glaco IWB holster recently and was planning on picking up a Blackhawk! OWB holster once I felt comfortable. I'll carry it unloaded but cocked around my house to get confident, then when I go out I'll have one in the chamber.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for your opinion everyone. I picked up a glaco IWB holster recently and was planning on picking up a Blackhawk! OWB holster once I felt comfortable. I'll carry it unloaded but cocked around my house to get confident, then when I go out I'll have one in the chamber.

Good, dont rush it and you should be fine.
    Practice your draws too (with gun unloaded) to make sure that you have good trigger discipline anytime you grab the gun (finger OFF the trigger).
    Once you are comfortable with all that you should be fine carrying one in the chamber. :yesway:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Good, dont rush it and you should be fine.
    Practice your draws too (with gun unloaded) to make sure that you have good trigger discipline anytime you grab the gun (finger OFF the trigger).
    Once you are comfortable with all that you should be fine carrying one in the chamber. :yesway:

Snap caps.

Pachmayr%20pistol%20snap%20caps.jpg

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    This type of thread surfaces periodically and I point out the same thing. There was a poster on one of the Ohio gun sites who was assaulted at a gas station by two punks. The first came at him after he'd gassed up and was trying to get back into his car. (He had also left his pistol inside the vehicle.) He was able to reach the gun with his right hand while still fighting off the dude trying to get him with the left. The intended victim stated that if he had not had a round in the chamber he would have been screwed since his other hand was tied up defending himself. He subsequently was able to shoot said urban businessman in the stomach or chest, ending the attack. Think about that before you made a decision. I also believe you XD has multiple safetys, trigger and firing pin block, doesn't it?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pretty much imo your question is like Ford vs Chevy, Hammer vs striker fired.

For me, I would NOT have one in the chamber unless I was ready to fire. The firearm is ready to fire therefore less trigger pull and less force to fire.

If you are in a SHTF situation etc, you can be racking the slide as you are pulling the firearm up to aim.

Try it sometime with one arm behind your back.

Top Bottom