• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Not only does it have the trigger safety, it also has a beaver tail safety. If you don't have a grip on it pulling on the trigger won't do you any good. My XD .40 is "cocked and locked" anything else and your just fooling yourself.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm going to be carrying a Springfield XD9 subcompact soon and I want to know what other people that carry guns that don't have a thumb safety think: Round in the chamber when carrying, or just in the magazine? I know it would be best in a self defense situation to have one in the chamber, but how does safety when not in a defensive situation play into that?

I always have a round in the chamber. If I have to shoot I'll most likely have to do it as fast as I can or as soon as I've determined that 'said' perp is trying to take my life or someone else. Draw.Aim.Shoot.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Not only does it have the trigger safety, it also has a beaver tail safety. If you don't have a grip on it pulling on the trigger won't do you any good. My XD .40 is "cocked and locked" anything else and your just fooling yourself.

Same for me. Hate thumb safeties, except maybe on a 1911.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bought snap caps at the 1500. I gave my wife the XD9 sub and a mag with one snap cap. She was sitting in bed and would try to load the mag, rack the slide, and pull the trigger before I got to her from a closet. She couldn't tell when I was comin out. I won nearly every time. She'd have trouble with the slide a few times but got better with a few attempts.

In this instance, she'd nail me easily if a round was chambered.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    If you're not comfortable carrying your EDC with a round in the chamber, I respectfully suggest that's your subconscious' way of telling you that you need more training. (And that's not meant to be negative - more training is always a good thing.)

Guy

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Imagine if you will a person taking the time to pull the seatbelt across their body but not snapping it in with the idea being if you are about to get into an accident you will reach down and snap it in. The truth is that the accident happens so quick you would never have the time to do that. That's what carrying without one in the chamber is like. I guarentee your mind will be thinking of the threat in front of you rather than whether or not you need to rack the slide.

Last edited:

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Imagine if you will a person taking the time to pull the seatbelt across their body but not snapping it in with the idea being if you are about to get into an accident you will reach down and snap it in. The truth is that the accident happens so quick you would never have the time to do that. That's what carrying without one in the chamber is like. I guarentee your mind will be thinking of the threat in front of you rather than whether or not you need to rack the slide.

Excellent comparison! Well said. :yesway:

Top Bottom