• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If I'm sitting in there enjoying a Whopper, I'll continue to sit there a la Jules and Vincent in the diner. If they decide I'm a target, well, that wouldn't be a good decision.

Purely hypothetical here. You're sitting there enjoying your Whopper Jr (let's be honest with ourselves here) and in come Vincent and Jules waltz in. You continue on your way because, well, cash just isn't worth it. They then draw their gun and point it at Marvin behind the counter saying they're gonna kill him. Continue eating or intervene? I'm not sure this is what happened, but it would be a game-changer in my opinion.

Also, for those of you wondering, the store (if not changed with the new outside remodel) looks like a backwards capital 'L'. He could have easily had the drop on them with the way the doors are set up. You enter directly across from the registers, customers have their backs to you.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    IF it were coach, I wish the best of luck to him. That would be an awful situation to be in.

Also, in this scenario, does that make anyone rethink their smaller, low capacity, carry guns?

Do you question your carry gun every time you see a news story about a shooting? I know I do. I have started grabbing an extra magazine as I head out the door. Typically, I'm in my car from work to home or vice versa and I'll take the odds that 6+1 plus an extra 6 round magazine plus a car is a decent outcome for me. I'f I'm actually going somewhere besides I work, I try to grab my G19, unless I know I'm going somewhere that they frown upon it (movies, Simon malls, etc).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My bad. But even facing 3 guys, I'd rather have more ammo with me.
    Not calling you out, and I carry several spares, despite what some say about actually needing them. The news did say 3, but there were 5 when they spwere stopped by police, so... I'm guessing/betting they didn't see Mr. Good Samaritan go in after their buddies, or this could have been way worse. Or the other two were just big *******, and decided to wait it out in the car?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not calling you out, and I carry several spares, despite what some say about actually needing them. The news did say 3, but there were 5 when they spwere stopped by police, so... I'm guessing/betting they didn't see Mr. Good Samaritan go in after their buddies, or this could have been way worse. Or the other two were just big *******, and decided to wait it out in the car?

All the guns they had were most likely in the store.
    No evidence of this.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I'll admit I haven't read the entire thread so if this has been said I apologize. I was watching the news report when they showed comments from the PIO from the police dept. She did not make any condemning statements re: the firearms instructor's actions and, in fact, actually came close to complimenting the actions of the citizen.

Actually surprising . . . . . . . and refreshing.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Do you question your carry gun every time you see a news story about a shooting? I know I do. I have started grabbing an extra magazine as I head out the door. Typically, I'm in my car from work to home or vice versa and I'll take the odds that 6+1 plus an extra 6 round magazine plus a car is a decent outcome for me. I'f I'm actually going somewhere besides I work, I try to grab my G19, unless I know I'm going somewhere that they frown upon it (movies, Simon malls, etc).

No, I don't question what I carry. It's either a Glock 19, or a Glock 26. I won't carry anything that has less than 10 rounds. And always have a spare mag for malfunctions.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They then draw their gun and point it at Marvin behind the counter saying they're gonna kill him. Continue eating or intervene?

Is Marvin an extension of my gene pool? If no, I am paying and not waiting for change.

CanIshoothimnowcanIshoothimnowcanIshoothimnowcanIshoothimnow . . . . can I, can I?

Keep your ****ing gun in the holster. Finish your turkey club and pay your tab.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by cedartop
    As far as we know, he was acting under no authority. If you have a clear avenue of escape you must take it to claim self defense. I am not saying he is wrong, or that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but from the facts I see in the article, a good case could be made that he didn't meet the requirements of a self defense shooting. Again, in this venue, under these circumstances he is good. In different areas, or if someone else would have been hurt, not so much. IAMAL, YMMV, etc.

Just who in the heck is teaching our "instructors"?

If you have a clear avenue of escape you must take it to claim self defense.

Who is telling you this? That is not Indiana law unless you are the aggressor.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    All the guns they had were most likely in the store.
    No evidence of this.
    Agreed, just stating what could have been. No evidence the other two were even there, and didn't get picked up later, before the police violated their rights by stopping them based on loose heresay evidence!(still can't purple)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with you. I always keep my rifle in my vehicle with 7 30rd mags plus 4 side arm mags. Even then I think I need to add more ar mags.

Now there's an angle.
    If you came in looking like you know what you are doing, with rifle leveled, there might not have been a gunfight?

Then again, the fourth gunner (parking lot, posing as customer, behind the counter?) might have put one in your noggin and left with your rifle?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why would he need citations with his level of enlightenment? Remember, he's the one who posted about how we are all a bunch of ignorant Jack-wagons incapable of figuring out which end of a gun bullets come out of for daring to criticize firearms instructors who are shill pieces for Gabe's Suarez's merchandise.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ow-1911-can-get-you-killed-3.html#post6136114

Now I remember that thread. It had my hair up.
    But I have been called worse.

Top Bottom