• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm tired... I've worked alot the past 3 days...
    But suffice to say, I'm glad I wasn't the defender... Rollins said it best when he mentioned that the punks were the biggest critics of his music. If I was the instructor, I wouldn't chime in here either.

I've taken BBI's/Coaches class... and I can guess at what the best decision would've been. It would not have entailed calling out 'drop your guns'. It would have been far more calculated, and I'm not sure I am up to that. But given that several thugs were in a vehicle watching outside the establishment? I'm sure it would have been the best course of action.
    Those who have taken that course, remembering the pawn shop incident know of what I speak. Keyboard commando's, not so much.

Individuals had their guns drawn, pointed at people. Period. Lives were at risk. Period.

I only wish I have the balls to make the right decision if it should ever happen in front of me. Period.

I'm glad no one was harmed though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI,

If one was to intervene in a armed robbery, how would that be perceived by the police?

Would it be investigated like a self defence shooting? Would your gun be confiscated?

I'm not sure what you mean by perceived by the police. How the police respond will vary by the specifics of the incident. In broad strokes, every shooting is investigated the same, regardless of it's a civilian shooter, LEO, a claim of self defense is made or not, etc. I don't *know" if what you did is justified or not until I investigate it. The basics of crime lab workup, canvassing for witnesses, taking statements, collecting video, etc. etc. are the nuts and bolts of any of these investigations. When I teach the class, I talk about various incidents were the shooter was cleared before ever being asked if they wanted to make a statement vs one were the shooter was transported to the office for a post-Miranda statement. Both were completely justified, but the situation and evidence dictated the response.

You can figure it's good odds your gun will be confiscated. If you hit someone, it's certainly going to be confiscated. There's a bit more leeway in misses. The gun is now evidence and will be test fired to match up to the bullet in the bad guy. Especially if they flee and survive, it's pretty compelling evidence placing them at the scene if they have a bullet from your gun in them.

My bad. But even facing 3 guys, I'd rather have more ammo with me.

Sure, and as long as you shoot it equally well there's certainly nothing wrong with capacity. However capacity comes into play a lot more in hypotheticals and what-ifs than in actuality. Folks tend to run out of time before ammo. I'm simply saying if you wish to make a capacity argument, knowing if capacity would have mattered or not seems relevant before using this event to hang that particular hat on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...You can figure it's good odds your gun will be confiscated. If you hit someone, it's certainly going to be confiscated. There's a bit more leeway in misses. The gun is now evidence and will be test fired to match up to the bullet in the bad guy. Especially if they flee and survive, it's pretty compelling evidence placing them at the scene if they have a bullet from your gun in them...

If a person was in a SD shooting and carrying a BUG, would just the gun used in the shooting be confiscated or both?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If a person was in a SD shooting and carrying a BUG, would just the gun used in the shooting be confiscated or both?

I'm guessing both, for ballistics... but curious to see the answer also. Not that it affects any decision making on my part... except perhaps, on post incident

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It depends.

Locally, I'd say it's unlikely unless there is a compelling reason to believe it was involved in more than just being present.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

It depends.

Locally, I'd say it's unlikely unless there is a compelling reason to believe it was involved in more than just being present.

Sounds like a good reason to have a BUG in the car, for the trip home?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It depends.

Under my particular circumstances, if I am involved in a shooting I am likely pretty much demanding that the cops enter all guns I have on me into evidence. I'm not so much worried about potential prosecution, but rather civil suits. I am not going to give the other side a ready made argument to make about potential throwaways or cover-up.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Under my particular circumstances, if I am involved in a shooting I am likely pretty much demanding that the cops enter all guns I have on me into evidence. I'm not so much worried about potential prosecution, but rather civil suits. I am not going to give the other side a ready made argument to make about potential throwaways or cover-up.

Since you brought up civil suits, what's your opinion about aftermarket triggers in carry guns?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    As far as we know, he was acting under no authority. If you have a clear avenue of escape you must take it to claim self defense. I am not saying he is wrong, or that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but from the facts I see in the article, a good case could be made that he didn't meet the requirements of a self defense shooting. Again, in this venue, under these circumstances he is good. In different areas, or if someone else would have been hurt, not so much. IAMAL, YMMV, etc.

Wait, what? On what is this assertion based? Because it certainly isn't based in Indiana statutes.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Since you brought up civil suits, what's your opinion about aftermarket triggers in carry guns?
    If the trigger has been lightened enough to make it significantly easier for it to go off without you meaning it too, don't do it. If you live in a jurisdiction where the prosecuting authority/courts/legislature are decidedly anti-gun/selfdefense, don't do it.

In court, I really only see an aftermarket trigger been an issue if the gun goes off when you don't want it to. There was a New York case years ago where a guy who could probably have legitimately intentionally shot a guy, accidentally did so with a cocked revolver. He was barred from asserting self-defense in New York because it was ruled that what he had done was unintentional manslaughter and self-defense only applied to intentional acts. He ended up doing some years in prison, his name was Maglioto if I remember correctly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As far as our friend cedartop's idea of making sure you have your bases covered;
    It may be totally legal to "stop" the thugs from robbing the place, but aren't individuals subject to civil suits along with a jury's judging of a crime?

What if something goes bad on anyone's part? One of those gunfight rounds that missed stops inside an innocent bystander? Legally or not, is it not subject to interpretation that if innocent's are harmed, someone will be seeking accountability?

One of your kids, siblings, etc. is flipping burgers and catches a round in the head from a "gunfight" that arguably didn't need to happen? Because mr officer wannabee thought he should save the day, your loved one is harmed or dead. Shouldn't they be held accountable?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I hope I will intervene if killing or harm is in progress or "absolutely imminent". Short of that I will remain in OO or flight status.

Top Bottom