• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    According to WTHR, this "gun owning, permit having man" followed "teenagers that he thought were up to no good."

In order for it to have been "Zimmermanesque", he would have had to have called the authorities, and done nothing more than keep an eye on the miscreants.

Running up on them, with firearm drawn, and yelling "freeze!" is nothing more than the SJW's fever-swamp wet dream about what happened.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Without actually having been there, my first reaction is that I don't think I would have followed them back in. Unless I thought someone else was actually being threatened, I'm doubt that I would make a decision to leave a relatively safer place for one less safe. Hard to say what we would actually do in the heat of the moment, but... Call the police, let them handle it.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Luckily the instructor was not hurt. Neutralized, is the outcome. It is a question all of us face while carrying. Just because your carrying doesnt mean you have to use. It is purely a judgement call based upon the circustance. I would like to think i cold have done the same.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    When this "Instructor" left safety by turning around and going back in, he put himself on legally shaky ground. Fortunately for him he is probably in a jurisdiction where bad guys rights aren't overemphasized.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What is legally shaky about it?

As far as we know, he was acting under no authority. If you have a clear avenue of escape you must take it to claim self defense. I am not saying he is wrong, or that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but from the facts I see in the article, a good case could be made that he didn't meet the requirements of a self defense shooting. Again, in this venue, under these circumstances he is good. In different areas, or if someone else would have been hurt, not so much. IAMAL, YMMV, etc.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    In order for it to have been "Zimmermanesque", he would have had to have called the authorities, and done nothing more than keep an eye on the miscreants.

Running up on them, with firearm drawn, and yelling "freeze!" is nothing more than the SJW's fever-swamp wet dream about what happened.

I'm not defending the Zimmermanesque comment, just stating the ONLY similarities I see.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    As far as we know, he was acting under no authority. If you have a clear avenue of escape you must take it to claim self defense. I am not saying he is wrong, or that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but from the facts I see in the article, a good case could be made that he didn't meet the requirements of a self defense shooting. Again, in this venue, under these circumstances he is good. In different areas, or if someone else would have been hurt, not so much. IAMAL, YMMV, etc.

Whoa. I didn't see this coming. I didn't realize that we are required to retreat in Indiana. I guess that means we aren't allowed to come to the defense of others as well.

While it helps to prove your defense with the act of retreating, I don't believe it is a requirement in Indiana.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I can't talk about this specific case.

However, in general terms that's not true in Indiana. You are allowed to use reasonable force, including deadly force, to stop a forcible felony and/or protect a 3rd party. Intervening in an armed robbery attempt falls well within those guidelines.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have been in situations where I am CC and thought something "not quite right" was going on. I moved around (got off the X, in case something did go down) and got a better view.

I can totally see going back into the restaurant/bank if I see a couple armed, masked guys go in. (If I'm by myself, there's a 50/50 I'd do that; if with family, we're getting in the car and being good witnesses.) But I'm STFU unless it really looks like shooting is going to start. If I can turn on my cell phone camera, I'm doing that, at least the recording. If they want the bills from the register, they can have 'em.

If they really start threatening, then they don't get a warning. IMHO.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Not having been there, there a lot of unknown variables like:

was there anything that could pass for real cover, and was it possible to position himself so that the BGs were lined up like dominos, eliminating their 3-1 advantage?

What is certain is that either verbally challenging them or just opening fire would probably start a gunfight, possibly endangering bystanders.

Top Bottom