• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sorry, didn't realize it wasn't obvious: Yes, it was the Zimmerman/Martin Event that I was referring to. At the time of this taping, the prevailing story was that Martin was trying to take away Zimmerman's openly carried gun during the struggle.

That said, the point of the reference was to refute the frequent cry of OC defenders that "no one" has ever had their gun taken or that there are "zero" examples of gun grabs.... a quick Google Search reveals how that's just simply not true. BehindBlueI's provided two OC gun-steals which he referred to as "local" in this thread apparently off the top of his head.
    Regardless, it's a silly thing to argue about anyway, as my point is that it COULD happen... anyone who can't admit that is just being stubborn or ignorant. If you are properly concealing your gun, a "gun grab" can't happen.

The worst argument that I hear from OC defenders is the idea that they are "educating" the public (or, even worse, the police!) by carrying openly. There are many ways that one can educate the public about "normal people" carrying guns or their rights to carry guns without taking the OC route, much less the Confrontational OC route. As for law enforcement, I always encourage people to drop off legal notices or letters stating the law from State AG's office at the PD, or offering to give a presentation to supervisors or during shift meetings. That represents a sincere effort to educate and, importantly, to avoid confrontation.

So, have you learned anything in the year since you created the video from the portion of the community who still prefers to carry openly....

ATM, I have learned that most of the firearms community, including the vast majority of the defensive shooting training industry, agrees wholeheartedly with my position about the defensive advantage of CC and "gets" the point in regard to the negative impact of Confrontational OC.
    I have learned that most people OC'ing are well intentioned, polite folks who are not looking for trouble and think what they are doing is prudent. I would say the same thing about women carrying revolvers around in their purses that they've never trained with and never practiced trying to use under any kind of stress.
    Unfortunately, I've also learned that there are still people like this guy out there causing problems, embarrassing the community, wasting the time of law enforcement officers and clearly using Open Carry to cause Confrontation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWghJrVeYA

As I've said several times and alluded to in this video clip, if someone really wants to make a statement and OC on the steps of The Capitol or in Times Square in order to try to get laws changed, I would at least respect the effort and the non-violent-civil-disobedience. Such an act would lead to a court case that could result in a challenging of existing laws and (possibly) lead to positive change. That would be a "Rosa Parks". I certainly don't advocate such action, but it would actually be someone taking a stand for something. As is evident by the Very Loud Outcry Against the planned "OC March on DC", the majority of the firearms community also agrees that such action would do more harm than good. What the kid in the above video did (and what all those who carry openly just for the sake of confrontation or causing anxiety do) is the equivalent of holding your foot 3 inches above first base and teasing the pitcher because he can't throw fast enough to get you out.
    His actual issue appears to be that the police are asking him for his ID without the legal right to do so...but he is using a gun to cause the confrontation. That is just reckless. Firearms should be carried for the defense of yourself or others, if necessary... that is what the Second Amendment is about. Carrying to cause a confrontation and address the issue of police illegally asking for ID is an abuse of the right to bear arms.

I support the legal right to carry openly... just like I support the right to be allowed to spend all your money on lottery tickets, but they're both bad ideas. I'm not a financial planner... so do whatever you want in that regard. I am a personal defense instructor and I believe strongly that you are better off carrying a defensive firearm concealed, which is why I advocate it. I advocate training for multiple round strings of fire as well, as opposed to just firing a single shot and then lowering your gun to assess the results. I am also a staunch defender of the Second Amendment and I believe that abusing the right to carry openly impacts our community negatively, which is another reason that I try to educate people about the importance of taking the CC option when it is available.

-RJP

Last edited:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    While agree from a tactic stand point that CC > OC.

I strongly disagree with his political views of that you should have to hide the fact you are armed. IMO this hiding it is why a lot of our rights were stripped away. When i was a child seeing a gun rack in a pickup truck was common, now you have SWAT team responses to a gentleman with an umbrella because someone thought it looked like a gun. I feel we need to be more visible so we are seen as common people that we are not a fringe group of extremists the media wants to portray us as.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I support the legal right to carry openly... just like I support the right to be allowed to spend all your money on lottery tickets, but they're both bad ideas. I'm not a financial planner... so do whatever you want in that regard. I am a personal defense instructor and I believe strongly that you are better off carrying a defensive firearm concealed, which is why I advocate it. I advocate training for multiple round strings of fire as well, as opposed to just firing a single shot and then lowering your gun to assess the results. I am also a staunch defender of the Second Amendment and I believe that abusing the right to carry openly impacts our community negatively, which is another reason that I try to educate people about the importance of taking the CC option when it is available.

-RJP

Rob

I respect your opinion, and appriciate all you do for the firearms and training communities. However, I respectfully disagree with your "its a bad idea" (for OC, not spending all your money on lottery ;) ). I think A LOT of it depends on where you live. Here in my area OC is VERY common. I see law abiding citizens open carry at least 3 times a week, just during my daily travels around town, gas station stops, ect. People don't really give it a second glance, most, in fact don't even notice. Do I OC, sometimes, sometimes i don't. I support CARRY, how you do choose to do it, is your call. I biggest beef with the whole OC/CC debate is the CC only crown trying to force their opinions on others, why?? If you personally don't think OC is a good option, then don't do it, but why try to tell other that they are wrong in their choice to OC????

My :twocents: worth just about what you paid for it......:D

Thanks again for your support of INGO and for everything else you do.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend

-RJP

You believe that abusing the right to carry openly impacts our community negatively?

I take offense to that.

I applaud what you do in training others how to defend themselves and loved ones (and people they don't even know), but I find your broad brush approach to the OC community condescending.

I open carry regularly and do so in a responsible and approachable manner (in a retention holster at the 3 o'clock position). I am a clean cut and well dressed husband and father of 2 with a very laid back demeanor. In the years I've been OC'ing, I would say the positive interactions I've had with others in public (both LEO and non LEO) outnumber any negative ones 100:1. I can't count how many people I have given the steps on how to get their LTCH and sent to local firearms training facilities. The very few interactions I've had with LEO while OC'ing have been very respectful on both sides and turn into good conversations with good guys....I'm not some youtube wannabe trying to video the interaction and trying to to cast them in a negative light.

So if I'm OC'ing everyday and know for a fact the positive interactions I'm having are bringing those curious enough to ask about how I protect myself and my family into the firearms community....how exactly am I impacting our community negatively or abusing the right to carry openly?

I know how I train and believe OC is the best method for me and my family. I believe the faster draw of OC in a defensive situation is more beneficial to my self preservation. That extra 1 second (YMMV) to draw from concealment may mean I don't see the next day. I'm not fine with that.

I also believe in not being a soft target. The majority of street criminals/thugs are looking for the easiest score...I'm not it. I stay in good physical condition and go out of my way to lower the odds of being in a situation where I ever have to draw my firearm...but if I do need to, I'm ready.

I still can't wrap my head around how many in the firearm community thinks those that do something other than how they do it are wrong or a negative reflection on us as a whole. Everyone is different....deal with it. I don't tell someone the 'errors of their ways' in choosing a different method of carry than my own. I say...good for you for taking the responsibility of protecting yourself and others. Carry on!

Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    You believe that abusing the right to carry openly impacts our community negatively?

I take offense to that.

Really? you think it is okay to "abuse" the right to carry?

I still can't wrap my head around how many in the firearm community thinks those that do something other than how they do it are wrong or a negative reflection on us as a whole. Everyone is different....deal with it. I don't tell someone the 'errors of their ways' in choosing a different method of carry than my own. I say...good for you for taking the responsibility of protecting yourself and others. Carry on!

The "everyone has an opinion" response? Do you think that doctors should not tell their patients the "errors in their ways" ? Do you think that teachers should let students dictate the right answers on tests?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The worst argument that I hear from OC defenders is the idea that they are "educating" the public (or, even worse, the police!) by carrying openly. There are many ways that one can educate the public about "normal people" carrying guns or their rights to carry guns without taking the OC route, much less the Confrontational OC route.

**SNIP**

I have learned that most of the firearms community, including the vast majority of the defensive shooting training industry, agrees wholeheartedly with my position about the defensive advantage of CC and "gets" the point in regard to the negative impact of Confrontational OC.
    I have learned that most people OC'ing are well intentioned, polite folks who are not looking for trouble and think what they are doing is prudent.

**SNIP**

As I've said several times and alluded to in this video clip, if someone really wants to make a statement and OC on the steps of The Capitol or in Times Square in order to try to get laws changed, I would at least respect the effort and the non-violent-civil-disobedience.

Although I can't point to a single statement, these statements along with several other member comments point to what I see as a major problem with CC advocates. It appears that RP is accusing OC'ers f being confrontational, arrogant, generally out to create a scene. From my perspective, that couldnt be farther from the truth. Yes, there are a few who carry that way, and they are the ones making all the youtube videos. But why can't an OC'er just OC because that is what is comfortable? Why do we have to see the OC'er as wanting to educate/confront/taunt? I both OC and CC depending on my attire. I want to be left alone. I'm not out to create a scene or cause a confrontation. If I have absolutely no interaction with the general public, it's a good day.

I carry a gun. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I really wish there was a way to change the opinion (mainly from CC'ers) that all OC'ers are looking to make a scene. Maybe we just like to carry that way. It's comfortable.

Firearms should be carried for the defense of yourself or others, if necessary... that is what the Second Amendment is about. Carrying to cause a confrontation and address the issue of police illegally asking for ID is an abuse of the right to bear arms.

Sorry, RP... the Second Amendment is NOT about defending yourself and others. Self defense is a God-given right that cannot be enumerated in any document. The Second amendment is about guarding all of us against the abuse of power by the government. Thus the qualifying statement "being necessary to the security of a free State." Although I wouldn't personally OC to cause a confrontation, I would say without reservation that protecting the Fourth Amendment is definitely included in the purpose of the Second Amendment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While agree from a tactic stand point that CC > OC.

I strongly disagree with his political views of that you should have to hide the fact you are armed. IMO this hiding it is why a lot of our rights were stripped away.

What rights have been stripped away? At least in Indiana, firearms rights have only expanded over my lifetime. State preemption law, so no more registering handguns with Sheriffs in certain counties, the LTCH, the 'expanded' LTCH where you don't have to have it on your person any longer, etc.

OC does have a valid political use. It worked well in OH when they were trying to get a CCW when you could open carry with no permit at all. Organized rallies of multiple OC-ers (and out of state empty holster-ers). I'm not sure wandering around by yourself with a video camera wielding buddy helps our cause though, especially in a state where we ware already winning.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm not sure wandering around by yourself with a video camera wielding buddy helps our cause though, especially in a state where we ware already winning.

Again, making a broad statement about OC. It really disturbs me that many see all OC'ers as being confrontational. I guess it is because of all the confrontational OC'ers making videos. It is really hard to make a video of a husband taking his wife out for dinner while OC, or a father taking his kids mini-golfing while OC, or someone at Walmart picking up some supplies for a cookout while OC. You see, all these scenarios happen much more often than someone walking down the street with a video camera looking for a confrontation. But we can't make videos of every day activities... because nothing happens.

Just carry. But don't tell me I'm doing it wrong just because I choose to do it differently than you.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    What rights have been stripped away? At least in Indiana, firearms rights have only expanded over my lifetime. State preemption law, so no more registering handguns with Sheriffs in certain counties, the LTCH, the 'expanded' LTCH where you don't have to have it on your person any longer, etc.

OC does have a valid political use. It worked well in OH when they were trying to get a CCW when you could open carry with no permit at all. Organized rallies of multiple OC-ers (and out of state empty holster-ers). I'm not sure wandering around by yourself with a video camera wielding buddy helps our cause though, especially in a state where we ware already winning.

You must not be old enough to remember Bill Clinton? The 80's/early 90's were not friendly towards gun owners.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sorry, didn't realize it wasn't obvious: Yes, it was the Zimmerman/Martin Event that I was referring to. At the time of this taping, the prevailing story was that Martin was trying to take away Zimmerman's openly carried gun during the struggle.

Florida law mandates concealment.

Where is it alleged that Zimmerman was violating Florida law by carrying openly?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Again, making a broad statement about OC. It really disturbs me that many see all OC'ers as being confrontational. I guess it is because of all the confrontational OC'ers making videos. It is really hard to make a video of a husband taking his wife out for dinner while OC, or a father taking his kids mini-golfing while OC, or someone at Walmart picking up some supplies for a cookout while OC. You see, all these scenarios happen much more often than someone walking down the street with a video camera looking for a confrontation. But we can't make videos of every day activities... because nothing happens.

Just carry. But don't tell me I'm doing it wrong just because I choose to do it differently than you.

You applied it as a broad statement and as anti-OC. It was not, and I am not. Re-read it and you will see that it was SPECIFIC to the political effectiveness of a SPECIFIC type of open carry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You must not be old enough to remember Bill Clinton? The 80's/early 90's were not friendly towards gun owners.

I am quite old enough to remember Clinton. I am also old enough to realize that its no longer the 80's or 90's and that his AWB sunset almost a decade ago.

You said that concealment is the reason we've lost our rights. I asked what rights we've lost. Last I saw, there hasn't been any serious new restrictions for Indiana or at the Federal level for about 30 years, and I don't think those had anything to do with concealed carry. No, as I pointed out, our recognized rights have expanded.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No, as I pointed out, our recognized rights have expanded.

When winning a battle, you don't proceed to retreat.... :twocents:

There will be no end to the attempts to abolish our gun rights. We've seen it time and time again. They use anything and everything they can to "prove" why we shouldn't have them even if it's flat lying to the masses.

The advocacy of a professional in this liberty driven industry to condone one set of gun owner's rights and not another is reckless. It will only get used as "evidence" against the gun owner community to restrict further rights. (ie "see even these professionals don't think you should be able to carry") Of course, they won't specify "openly" and this is simply enabling their emotional sensitivities to firearms, but it is what it is. They will use every weakness we give them and exploit it to it's fullest.

There are enough idiots out their breaking the safety rules and such to give them plenty of examples to use against us. Why do we need professionals in the industry to add to their list of weaknesses to exploit?

We do not.

As gun owners who defend and care about our rights we should recognize that professionals who do this are essentially treating "their own kind" (gun owners) just like the gun grabbers treat us. (ie treat the many based on the actions of a very few)

Are there a few idiots out there who give OCers a bad name? Sure. Is that reason to contribute "ammunition" to the gun grabbers by drawing these stereotypes and division lines within our ranks and in essence paving the way for them to limit our rights further? Anyone who says yes to this I contest their "gun owner card" and any claim to the title "professional" they say they have. Instead of paving this path for our "enemies" by publically bashing their chosen method of 2A exercising, why not address the real issue albeit a lack of education in how to PROPERLY OC (from an PR/professionalism perspective)?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The "everyone has an opinion" response? Do you think that doctors should not tell their patients the "errors in their ways" ? Do you think that teachers should let students dictate the right answers on tests?

Doctors and teachers require extensive training and licensing in order to practice their profession. Anyone can hang a shingle out and proclaim themselves a gun guru. I mean no personal disrespect but to equate yourself with a trained and licensed professional is disingenuous and condescending. Also, I fail to see how your average every-day OCer could bring more disrespect upon the gun community than another self-annointed gun guru making a YT video proclaiming it as time to "start killing people".

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Doctors and teachers require extensive training and licensing in order to practice their profession. Anyone can hang a shingle out and proclaim themselves a gun guru. I mean no personal disrespect but to equate yourself with a trained and licensed professional is disingenuous and condescending. Also, I fail to see how your average every-day OCer could bring more disrespect upon the gun community than another self-annointed gun guru making a YT video proclaiming it as time to "start killing people".
    But haven't you heard?

Setting minimal standardized requirements for a profession is now "nannyism." :):

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Really? you think it is okay to "abuse" the right to carry?

No Rob....I don't think it's ok to "abuse" the right to carry. If you would have read a couple ticks lower, you would have read how and why I carry the way I do. Not everyone that OC's is some in your face YouTube video maker trying to get attention by having an exposed firearm. I'm quite the opposite...I go about my daily life and the majority of time nobody even notices. My question to you was how does what I do as a daily OC'er abuse the right to carry or reflect negatively on the gun owner community?

Your argument about doctors and teachers...SHM. A doctor telling the patient they need to make life changes to improve the quality of their life is completely different than someone making a decision on whether to CC vs OC. They have already made the choice to greatly improve their odds of surviving a violent attack/situation by carrying (and hopefully training regularly)...period. Your teacher comment is comparing apples to bubble gum...not even close to the same...a question on a test has a single correct answer. Are you saying that CC is the only answer? I see the benefits of both and do CC sometimes depending on attire, but OC the majority of time.

Once again, how does what I do as a daily OC'er abuse the right to carry or reflect negatively on the gun community? Not all OC'ers are just like the dopes in the YouTube videos.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    No Rob....I don't think it's ok to "abuse" the right to carry. If you would have read a couple ticks lower, you would have read how and why I carry the way I do. Not everyone that OC's is some in your face YouTube video maker trying to get attention by having an exposed firearm. I'm quite the opposite...I go about my daily life and the majority of time nobody even notices. (Exactly the point I was making in my post!) My question to you was how does what I do as a daily OC'er abuse the right to carry or reflect negatively on the gun owner community?

Your argument about doctors and teachers...SHM. A doctor telling the patient they need to make life changes to improve the quality of their life is completely different than someone making a decision on whether to CC vs OC. They have already made the choice to greatly improve their odds of surviving a violent attack/situation by carrying (and hopefully training regularly)...period. Your teacher comment is comparing apples to bubble gum...not even close to the same...a question on a test has a single correct answer. Are you saying that CC is the only answer? I see the benefits of both and do CC sometimes depending on attire, but OC the majority of time.

Once again, how does what I do as a daily OC'er abuse the right to carry or reflect negatively on the gun community? Not all OC'ers are just like the dopes in the YouTube videos.

Wanted to rep you for the last post, now I really want to. Unfortunately, I have to Obama it around first.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yea those confrontational OCers, I despise them, they are always causing trouble, and hurting our 2nd Amendment rights. Just look at that menace Titanium Frost, he has been all over the place running amok with his rifle and whatnot. Daring the police and citizens to confront him so he can make them tremble in their boots.:rolleyes:

;)

What is all this about "tactics" this isn't a war. You are not trying to sneak up and execute a bad guy. If you can prevent the problem from happening, and nobody has to die, it's a win-win.

Maybe by killing the BG you save the life of a future victim? I guess if you are thinking about it that way, CC might have a tactical advantage.

I don't know what this fascination about "surprising" the robber is all about.

You can surprise them just as good when they look at you and see you are armed and they walk away and you never know it happened.

I don't doubt there are cases where OCers have their guns taken, I also imagine it has happened to police officers before. But how often does that happen? Are there any statistics compiled?

How many planes crash compared to OCers getting hit over the head and their guns taken?

If a few incidents in years justifies you never OCing in fear of it happening, then you might not want to drive a car.

I think OCing has more benefits than risks, just like the convenience of driving does.

Nothing wrong with making political statements either, I don't see how any pro-gun person can think that way. Any political statement outside of an organized rally is abusing your right, and improper? Really?

Around the house and locally ( we live out in the county ) I wear a leather Bianchi holster, the Black Widow one, it has a retention snap.

Other places I wear the Level 3 Retention Serpa holster at 3 0'Clock

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Rob, I really can't find much to agree with you on regarding this subject and to refute everything you say line by line would get tiresome for both of us, so I'll just respond to your directed response and thank you for answering.

Just know that I consider the bulk of your tripe on this particular subject the same as I would any other noob here - based solely upon your ability or lack thereof to support your assumptions and assertions rather than giving any merit to the actual level of expertise or knowledge with which you avail yourself in other (even somewhat related) topics.

ATM, I have learned that most of the firearms community, including the vast majority of the defensive shooting training industry, agrees wholeheartedly with my position about the defensive advantage of CC and "gets" the point in regard to the negative impact of Confrontational OC.

Congrats, you're in the majority. That is something I would rarely be proud of and certainly not appeal to use as logically fallacious support for my position. The weakest opinions are generally held dear by the majority and non-conformists are routinely shunned and ridiculed for not simply agreeing with whatever the herd deems conventional.

You're not exactly promoting an atmosphere conducive to innovation when you hide behind groupthink, promoting or practicing the regurgitation of such.

I have learned that most people OC'ing are well intentioned, polite folks who are not looking for trouble and think what they are doing is prudent. I would say the same thing about women carrying revolvers around in their purses that they've never trained with and never practiced trying to use under any kind of stress.
    Your attempt to equate the two falls short, but I did take note of how you view these two examples similarly. You would fault both groups for stopping short of what you think they should do to be "right".

Hiding it from view would fix the wrongness of the first and stress training would fix the wrongness of the second. But how many more wrongs would you still point out until they were doing exactly what you do and thinking exactly what you think? Ahh, finally they would be "right".

Unfortunately, I've also learned that there are still people like this guy out there causing problems, embarrassing the community, wasting the time of law enforcement officers and clearly using Open Carry to cause Confrontation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWghJrVeYA

-RJP
    I have no problem with the actions of the carrier in that video. Not exactly my style, but I wouldn't blame him for a couple officers causing problems, embarrassing the community or wasting time simply because they couldn't resist the bait he provided. LEOs do that plenty with bait cars, undercover prostitutes, etc. Fair game.

Have a great day, I might come back to argue more later if the mood strikes me. :yesway:

Oh yeah, and you got 50 posts, so you may now enjoy the INGO classifieds. :)

Top Bottom