• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Coach is on point here but I just can't help but shine a very bright light on one major component of the OC/CC debate.

It is ALL due to the CCer telling the OCer how to carry.

It is never an OCer telling the CCer they should OC.

The CCer says you shouldn't and the OCer defends their choice.

I have pointeed this out before and I have yet to have anyone point out an instance where the OCer is telling a CCer how to carry.

BTW, if you CC your gun, it's wrong and you are no different than a criminal.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My son OC don't know why he does but that is his right. I CC I don't want to be the first target if some nutcase comes in. Don't know which is right or if ether is wrong. I don't feel that I should have the right to make people nervous even though I have the right to carry my gun. Now that said, when I am at a place of business and see someone with a gun on I don't get nervous but I will pay attention to what that person is doing. Don't really care if he is a cop or not. I my self don't want to draw attention to me or the person that I am with. This is just my view yours may be different.

Sonney

May I suggest you start with this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

It would be a wise choice to read it , or at least the first several pages.

Or even THIS thread in it's entirety.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    The OC/CC thing is so stupid. Gun people wanting to control how other gun people do things. We are doing to ourselves the same thing the anti gun crowd does.

It is my gun and I am responsible for it. Leave me alone and let me exercise my rights the way I see fit. If we don't exercise a right then it won't matter much.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I've been saying the same dang thing since the first OC/CC debate on INGO....

Its straight up retarded, just 'cause I don't do something the way you think I ought, I'm wrong, obnoxious, and/or negligent????

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The OC/CC thing is so stupid. Gun people wanting to control how other gun people do things. We are doing to ourselves the same thing the anti gun crowd does.

It is my gun and I am responsible for it. Leave me alone and let me exercise my rights the way I see fit. If we don't exercise a right then it won't matter much.

Well, based on this comment and some already very positive feedback I received from a buddy, I know who I'll be contacting for my pistol training needs for me and the wife this year. :yesway:

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was on break at work, needed a quick response and my verbal filter was broken. I promise I didn't mean to offended others, I just wanted to get straight to the point.

No offense taken. I'm just surprised by the dynamic. If I hear someone say "purse carry can be dangerous" as a dude who doesn't purse carry I'm not likely to respond with "that's my right, don't question my choice".

When people are asked to avoid behavior that could damage our cause or endanger thier lives, I don't expect people who aren't one or the other to become so uncomfortable.

Like I said, educational.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    :rockwoot:
    It is my opinion that the gun community suffers from the same Achillies Heel as most other fringe hobbies/lifestyles where people devote much effort to their success.

We are taught to use the work of those who come before us over original research and experience.

When you can name a large portion of the most influential people in one sentance they have an unequal effect on that aspect compared to reality. Everyone quoting the singular opinion of who came before them leads us down the path with blinders on.

There is no "answer" to the OC/CC debate, why should there be? Those of us free enough to make the choice on our own are more than capable of deciding for ourselves how we prefer to carry- other's opinions be damned.
    :rockwoot::+1::cheers: OC/CC should just be a discussion and not a debate where one side is stereotyped as harmful to 2nd A. rights.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Who is calling all OC harmful to the second amendment?
    Some people assert that OC is antagonistic to the anti's (I'm not one of those people). And some of those people assert that is the primary reason why they think OCer's do it. Leading some to beleive it fuels a fire, so to speak (as if anti's would be pacified not having to see it).

As for specific people that believe that way, I can't bring myself to pour over the many many threads on the subject, but they're there. Not many, but too many IMO.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    If I hear someone say "purse carry can be dangerous"

Let's examine this. I have no problem with someone (whether he be an instructor or not) offering useful suggestions. A gun in a purse may not be readily accessible. A man wouldn't carry his primary in an ankle holster because it's not readily accessible.

What should be offered is helpful suggestions. "If you're going to CC, here's a safe and proper way to do it. If you're going to OC, here's a safe and proper way to do it."

How many times have we seen people wearing a cheap, cloth or nylon holster with little to no retention, their gun hanging loosely off their belt, and no situational awareness? I have no problem with someone suggesting they buy a good, Level II or III active retention holster (Safariland ALS/SLS, Blackhawk CQC, etc.), wear it in a place where you have some control (not behind you), and pay attention to your surroundings.

What I do have a problem with is people making unfounded assertions saying that if you OC you are going to be the first one shot by someone robbing a 7-11.

If someone, as I do, thinks the advantages to OCing far outweigh any perceived disadvantages by being a walking target, why try to change my mind? Why not just try to help me do it the best I can?

Clint Smith doesn't preach that you have to carry a certain handgun, he preaches that if you choose to carry a revolver, you learn to be the best with it, and if you choose to carry a semi-auto, you learn to be the best with it. He doesn't say "If you don't carry a Glock 19 you have a little dick" like some people we know.

Top Bottom