• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Maybe you're right about the fiscal stuff, but this shutdown had nothing to do with "fiscal policy". It had everything to do with shutting down Obamacare, by any means necessary. Ted Cruz said this, McCain says this, most of the Tea Party Republicans say this...it was simply about Obamacare. Hell for a while the news even said that this was the first of two fights (Obamacare and then the Debt Ceiling) and some were wondering if there would be two shutdowns. Funny enough the shutdown has continued long enough that it's now merging into one issue and the Republicans put themselves in a real ****ty situation.

Regardless of what you or this forum thinks, the blame is now on the Republican party. They don't have enough clout for both the debt ceiling and Obamacare ANNND there's a Congress election period for several states coming up in November. Most of those are with traditional Red states, so I don't know if we'll see much change. However in 2014 there's a bigger election period and the fact of the matter is, not many people are liking the Republican party. The Republican party is also fighting among themselves and throat slitting is at an all time high over there.

The Republican party was stupid for taking on Obamacare this way and at this stage in the game. The Democrats literally only have to say "The Republicans came to the table with the threat that if we didn't defund Obamacare there'd be a shutdown." They called the Republican's bluff and no matter how much bawwing from conservatives there is, the Republican party has split with people like McCain blaming their own party and basically all of the Dems blaming the Republicans.

Ted Cruz is getting the blame from part of his party and the Democrats. He fought on an unpopular ideology, and while I'll give him props for that, it was a stupid move politically. I wonder what his party whips will do once this is all over and I strongly suspect that he'll never be a powerful Republican, at least for a couple of election cycles. Those of you on here who were thinking he'll be a likely candidate for President should save your vote...he'll not make it past the primaries so long as he remains in the Republican party. Then again I wonder if he won't jump to a new party within a couple of years.

Either way, the Republicans screwed the pooch on this deal and it doesn't matter what you or I or this forum thinks. The vast majority of the media, of the people, of the ones whose dollars count say this was bad news for the Republicans.

And personally I'm glad of it. I said in the beginning that telling the Democrats to defund Obamacare or you'll shutdown the government is not a negotiation and I honestly wasn't sure if the Democrats had the spine to call the bluff. They did and just like I thought, the Republican party has split and without party cohesion the entire party is gonna get crucified over this. It was just sad that it took a waste of a LOT of taxpayer money for the Republicans to begin to see that Obamacare is here to stay and there's not a damn thing they can do about it for quite a while. It was a stupid decision through and through.

I don't know if you're an Obama supporter or an idealistic kool-aid drinker, or just young and foolish.

First of all, the Democrat-controlled Senate has not passed a House budget bill in over 4 years now. Since the Constitution specifies that all fiscal bills must originate in the House, the Democrats have refused to pass a budget. ALSO, it's constitutionally arguable that ObamaCare is not legal because it was not originated in the House, but in the Senate. The original House bill that it was tacked on to had nothing to do with health care.

Since the President and the Senate has failed to pass a budget and have failed to negotiate in good faith on budget reductions for 4 years, it was an entirely sound tactic to withhold House approval of still another debt limit increase, and because it is becoming more and more apparent that ObamaCare will NOT result in cheaper health care for all Americans, or even a reduction in health care costs for most Americans, and because a majority of the country doesn't WANT ObamaCare, it is perfectly reasonable for the Republicans to do everything in their power to defund it. And many, many Republicans and Independents are demanding that the Republicans stick by their guns and resist another spending increase and the destruction of the economy that will result from the full implementation of ObamaCare.

"But it's the law" you say? So are the current immigration laws which are not being enforced at the the Executive Branch's discretion. So is the Border Fence, which was approved more than 10 years ago but which has never been fully funded. Congress failing to fund the implementation of various laws, or overfunding other measures is nothing new. The big new issue is that the President and Senate are refusing to negotiate and seemingly getting away with blaming their intransigence on the Republicans.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh yeah, I disagree with the majority here so I must be an idiot.
    So, you're saying an Obama voter must be an idiot?
    I'm confused by your position. :dunno:
    I believe he is.

I think it is interesting that Boehner:
    -being 1/12 children
    -blue collar roots; worked in the family business at an early age (a bar) inevitably dealing with people
    -has been elected several times albeit in a heavily GOP area in Ohio

...manages to have such a bad connect with the people. It seems he comes off aloof in every press release/interview. I do believe that it will be devastating to the GOP if this shutdown was for the defunding/year delay of O-Care and they do not achieve that result. It is difficult at this point to discern what they are truly after.
    One guy takes a stab at explaining it. (Though I disagree that the GOP will be held in contempt if the shut down negatively affected Obamacare. Obamacare has created more haters than it has helped. And even the lap dog press has made a big deal out of the utter charlie foxtrot the exchanges/line experience has been. Real folks who are receiving letters of premium increases are incensed. Some have even said they thought others were going to be the ones to pay for it; now that they have to, they're kinda miffed about it.)
    Articles: The Tiny Mind of Boehner: A Jail with No Bars

Republicans own the shutdown.

Obama owns the absolutely horrendous software registration process for Obamacare.

Both groups should be shipped to the middle of the Atlantic and drowned.

I've lost count at how many budget bills the House as sent to the Senate. Refusal to vote for the bills, and thus the consequence of the shut down, lies squarely on the shoulders of the Dems in the Senate. And Obama has said he refuses to negotiate even as the House Repubs are reaching out (:puke:) in compromise. No, the Dems own the shut down all by themselves.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I don't know if you're an Obama supporter or an idealistic kool-aid drinker, or just young and foolish.

First of all, the Democrat-controlled Senate has not passed a House budget bill in over 4 years now. Since the Constitution specifies that all fiscal bills must originate in the House, the Democrats have refused to pass a budget. ALSO, it's constitutionally arguable that ObamaCare is not legal because it was not originated in the House, but in the Senate. The original House bill that it was tacked on to had nothing to do with health care.

The Constitution allows the Senate to amend the budget bills. It literally gives the Senate the power it used to do this. That's why people can't challenge the Constitutionality of the bill itself. They went after the individual mandate instead and that got shot down in the SCOTUS .

Since the President and the Senate has failed to pass a budget and have failed to negotiate in good faith on budget reductions for 4 years, it was an entirely sound tactic to withhold House approval of still another debt limit increase, and because it is becoming more and more apparent that ObamaCare will NOT result in cheaper health care for all Americans, or even a reduction in health care costs for most Americans, and because a majority of the country doesn't WANT ObamaCare, it is perfectly reasonable for the Republicans to do everything in their power to defund it. And many, many Republicans and Independents are demanding that the Republicans stick by their guns and resist another spending increase and the destruction of the economy that will result from the full implementation of ObamaCare.

"But it's the law" you say? So are the current immigration laws which are not being enforced at the the Executive Branch's discretion. So is the Border Fence, which was approved more than 10 years ago but which has never been fully funded. Congress failing to fund the implementation of various laws, or overfunding other measures is nothing new. The big new issue is that the President and Senate are refusing to negotiate and seemingly getting away with blaming their intransigence on the Republicans.

Except it has nothing to do with fiscal law. It has everything to do with trying to prevent Obamacare from happening and quite frankly no sane person believes your dribble about what the "majority" of the country want. Why? Because the majority of the country voted to reelect the name after which the law is nicknamed. I suppose if you tell yourself something enough times you'll believe it to be true.

Hilariously there have been several polls comparing ACA and Obamacare (same law, I know) and some of the same people who didn't want "Obamacare" wanted the ACA.

Secondly your "Independent" arguement is bull**** and it certainly is in the Republican party. The Republican party is splitting with many of those at the top blaming Ted Cruz for starting this endeavor. You keep calling people like me "kool-aid" drinkers and yet you can't seem to get your head out of your own bullcrap to smell what's really going on.

The Republican party approval numbers are TANKING. That doesn't suggest "OMG REPUBLICANS AND INDEPENDENTS ARE UNITED TO FIGHT OBAMACARE AND THE DEBT CEILING", unless you're stupid. Literally you have to be an idiot to believe anything else. When a party's approval numbers tank lower than they've tanked for a LONG, LONG time you can bet that it's not because people are supporting that party.

It?s time for stocktaking by GOP leaders - The Washington Post
    http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....z-and-gop-taking-huge-hit-from-shutdown.html/
    Republican Party Favorability Sinks to Record Low
    Republican Party Favorability Sinks to Record Low
    Republican Party's Rating Plummets To 'Record Low'
    Republican disapproval grows in budget battle, Post-ABC poll finds
    Poll: GOP disapproval rating hits 70 percent - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Hell even Glenn Beck isn't trying to deny the low ratings (he's just trying to spin it): Glenn Beck Breaks Down Dismal Republican Poll Ratings: ?This Is Why the GOP Is Losing? | TheBlaze.com

Gallup: GOP?s favorability sinks into Clinton impeachment territory
    Poll: Americans not happy about shutdown; more blame GOP - CBS News
    Republicans dealing Obama the winning hand in government shutdown fight | Fox News

There's some reading for you. None of what you say shows any indication of truth and the Republican party is literally about the crucify themselves for the next major Congressional election next year and the Presidential election in 2016. If you want to call me young and foolish then you must be old and senile. Literally no intelligent person believes the crap you're spewing. And we're not done yet, the few hold outs of the Republican party are going to be so pissed when they cave, because they will cave. They've got a debt ceiling argument that they don't have the political clout to fight while fighting Obamacare and they're running out on that fight too.

Ted Cruz and his "homeboys" handed the Democrats a win on a silver plate. If you're any sort of politics watching person you understood this the moment the Democrats called the bluff and the government shutdown. That's why the "McCains" in the party are working damage control and trying to destroy Ted Cruz. The party whips are gonna knock him around for a few election cycles to come and he certainly won't be doing much in the way of Republican primaries for a while.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I believe he is.

I've lost count at how many budget bills the House as sent to the Senate. Refusal to vote for the bills, and thus the consequence of the shut down, lies squarely on the shoulders of the Dems in the Senate. And Obama has said he refuses to negotiate even as the House Repubs are reaching out (:puke:) in compromise. No, the Dems own the shut down all by themselves.

And that's why the Republican approval ratings are tanking. LOL, you're just day-dreaming in your fairy tale world. Wake up and pull your head out of your ass. Go read some news articles...even Fox News and other Republicans are blaming the Republicans. The Republican party doesn't even have the cohesion to try to make it look like it's the Democrat's fault. At worst the Dems will get blamed for not playing the game and at best it won't matter because the Republicans will have screwed the pooch in 2014 AND in 2016.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The democrats are destroying themselves. And the establishment republicans. The winners are guys like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

Which is why the Republican party is currently in a tizzle fighting among each other as to who the blame resides with. Yyyeaaahhh. You're delusional at best.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And that's why the Republican approval ratings are tanking. LOL, you're just day-dreaming in your fairy tale world. Wake up and pull your head out of your ass. Go read some news articles...even Fox News and other Republicans are blaming the Republicans. The Republican party doesn't even have the cohesion to try to make it look like it's the Democrat's fault. At worst the Dems will get blamed for not playing the game and at best it won't matter because the Republicans will have screwed the pooch in 2014 AND in 2016.
    f

That is so much media driven BS. Stop being brainwashed by leftwing media.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I guess we'll have to wait and see who ends up with a brown ring around his neck.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which is why the Republican party is currently in a tizzle fighting among each other as to who the blame resides with. Yyyeaaahhh. You're delusional at best.

So? The media reports the republican fights but ignores the divisions within the democrats. How much do you know about the Labor vs. Progressive fight in the democrats? The divisions are there.

The democrats are tanking. Very good chance that the republicans will do well next year. And that Ted Cruz will be president in 2017.

What we are seeing is that the establishment republicans are screwing up, big time. But they are going down with the democrats.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    So? The media reports the republican fights but ignores the divisions within the democrats. How much do you know about the Labor vs. Progressive fight in the democrats? The divisions are there.

The democrats are tanking. Very good chance that the republicans will do well next year. And that Ted Cruz will be president in 2017.

What we are seeing is that the establishment republicans are screwing up, big time. But they are going down with the democrats.

Let's see some numbers there big boy. Show some sources, because I certainly have shown you some. Ted Cruz doesn't have the clout at this point to be President of a Ted Cruz fanclub, let alone America. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll bookmark this post and if I'm right I'll grave dig it and literally I'll follow you around this forum for the rest of my natural life replying to everything you post with how you were wrong. I'll quote it on my signature and I'll even send you a cake with a picture of Obama on it.

You know what, that's a good wager. If Ted Cruz is not elected President I'll send you a cake with Obama on it. You'll record a video eating it and saying how delicious Obamacake is and how awesome it is. If you're right you can send me a cake with Ted Cruz's picture and I'll do the same.

Deal?

*Edit*

Please make sure to note any food allergies and we'll both agree to have the cake made professionally and have it sealed. No funny ex-lax or bio terrorism here. We'll make sure to do this gentlemanly.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let's see some numbers there big boy. Show some sources, because I certainly have shown you some. Ted Cruz doesn't have the clout at this point to be President of a Ted Cruz fanclub, let alone America. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll bookmark this post and if I'm right I'll grave dig it and literally I'll follow you around this forum for the rest of my natural life replying to everything you post with how you were wrong. I'll quote it on my signature and I'll even send you a cake with a picture of Obama on it.

You know what, that's a good wager. If Ted Cruz is not elected President I'll send you a cake with Obama on it. You'll record a video eating it and saying how delicious Obamacake is and how awesome it is. If you're right you can send me a cake with Ted Cruz's picture and I'll do the same.

Deal?

*Edit*

Please make sure to note any food allergies and we'll both agree to have the cake made professionally and have it sealed. No funny ex-lax or bio terrorism here. We'll make sure to do this gentlemanly.

Ted Cruz now has more experience than Obama had when he was elected to the presidency.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ted Cruz now has more experience than Obama had when he was elected to the presidency.

Yep. Barry has never held a real job that I know of, has sealed all of his school records and has never been anything other than a community organizer and a dope user in college. Not much of a voting record when he was in the Senate either

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013

So did McCain and yet...

Look if you want to live in your delusional fantasy, that's your choice. When you wanna live in the real world, you lemme know...because I literally guarantee you that Ted Cruz will never be President. He don't have the support of his own party, of Independents, nor of the Democrats. He'll be regulated to his station and probably will lose that. History will forget about him in 10 years, maybe 20 depending on how much longer he stays in Congress.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So did McCain and yet...

Look if you want to live in your delusional fantasy, that's your choice. When you wanna live in the real world, you lemme know...because I literally guarantee you that Ted Cruz will never be President. He don't have the support of his own party, of Independents, nor of the Democrats. He'll be regulated to his station and probably will lose that. History will forget about him in 10 years, maybe 20 depending on how much longer he stays in Congress.

Reagan did not have support of his own party either. His support came from the grassroots.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Yep. Barry has never held a real job that I know of, has sealed all of his school records and has never been anything other than a community organizer and a dope user in college. Not much of a voting record when he was in the Senate either

What's a "real" job to you? Being a boss in a company that your daddy runs, real enough for you?

As for his supposed "voting records"

Here ya go

That's just from the 113th Congress. Make sure to click on "all votes" because not every vote is for a key issue. That's about 130 pages.

I'm not sure what you consider to be a "real" voting record though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So did McCain and yet...

Your mastery of future events intrigues me...what will be the winning numbers of Wednesday's Powerball drawing?

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Reagan did not have support of his own party either. His support came from the grassroots.

It's great you're keeping your dreams alive. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't be a doctor, cop, firefighting, astronaut either, little Timmy.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Your mastery of future events intrigues me...what will be the winning numbers of Wednesday's Powerball drawing?

It's politics. No crystal ball is needed. Inter-party politics do some powerful things and when a little more than half of the party starts blaming you and that party's approval ratings tanks it's hard to imagine a future where Ted Cruz comes out of this unscathed. You guys do realize that when this is all over his own party will throw him to the wolves, right? They're doing it now.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    For decades, the government has been trashing the constitution. It takes putting barricades up around monuments to get people this fired up? Really, not being able to access monuments to government spending is the final straw?

Top Bottom