• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sober since March 25th, 2022, give or take (I was drunk, dates a little fuzzy)

I have a problem as to where I try to become an expert on anything I get into....

arrowheads
    muzzleloaders
    fly fishing
    Bug A Salt guns
    mandolins whatever....

I will put my heart and soul into it....

So I decided to become an expert on bourbon....it nearly killed me...(per my doctor....I was bad...real bad...)

So I decided to see if I could go one day without...then two days...etc....

I still love bourbon....I just love it too much...I'm still a drunk....I'm just not drinking....

I have a tremendous amount of respect for those that can abide and keep it under control...

I still have the bottle I quit on.....My challenge was, "let's see if I can make this fifth last four days"

It's still there...dusty but a reminder that I am still a drinker...I'm just not drinking...

God bless...your results may vary.....

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Sober since March 25th, 2022, give or take (I was drunk, dates a little fuzzy)

I have a problem as to where I try to become an expert on anything I get into....

arrowheads
    muzzleloaders
    fly fishing
    Bug A Salt guns
    mandolins whatever....

I will put my heart and soul into it....

So I decided to become an expert on bourbon....it nearly killed me...(per my doctor....I was bad...real bad...)

So I decided to see if I could go one day without...then two days...etc....

I still love bourbon....I just love it too much...I'm still a drunk....I'm just not drinking....

I have a tremendous amount of respect for those that can abide and keep it under control...

I still have the bottle I quit on.....My challenge was, "let's see if I can make this fifth last four days"

It's still there...dusty but a reminder that I am still a drinker...I'm just not drinking...

God bless...your results may vary.....

First of all, Sir, I'm glad to see you back. I've enjoyed your posts over the years. I still remember your post about your daughter's graduation. Quite moving. I saw your recent post about the salt guns. Well done finding something for her to engage with!

Second, my story is much like yours above. I was a functioning drunk for 40 years, off and on. My quit date was November, 2019, so going on 4 years.

It gets easier and easier as time goes by, and I feel better and better physically. Best of luck with it going forward.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    In my early 20's I thought it was fun to get blacked out drunk and do stupid stuff for the sake of being sick the next morning. Even though we are all dealt different hands in life and there are several alcoholics in my family. I feel very lucky to not have a bunch of kids running around or have caught an STD, but to be alive today. 30 years later I am a homebrewer and a craft beer consumer. Today's craft beer culture is a lot like the Wine culture. It's about the experience, the people, the food pairing, ETC. But as I stated, we are all dealt different hands. I support and respect anyone seeking sobriety. Keep up the fight because I am behind you!! But to state that Alcohol is bad for everyone is wrong. There is a time and a place for everything. It might not be for everyone either and that's fine also. But my life today is a little better with it. Meeting other homebrewers or craft beer lovers is a lot like what this site is doing. Bringing good people together.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In my early 20's I thought it was fun to get blacked out drunk and do stupid stuff for the sake of being sick the next morning. Even though we are all dealt different hands in life and there are several alcoholics in my family. I feel very lucky to not have a bunch of kids running around or have caught an STD, but to be alive today. 30 years later I am a homebrewer and a craft beer consumer. Today's craft beer culture is a lot like the Wine culture. It's about the experience, the people, the food pairing, ETC. But as I stated, we are all dealt different hands. I support and respect anyone seeking sobriety. Keep up the fight because I am behind you!! But to state that Alcohol is bad for everyone is wrong. There is a time and a place for everything. It might not be for everyone either and that's fine also. But my life today is a little better with it. Meeting other homebrewers or craft beer lovers is a lot like what this site is doing. Bringing good people together.
    1688845186707.png

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Last Bloody Mary was about 2 weeks ago. Reset the clock this Saturday.

Ever since Covid, beer seems weird. Not flavor either ( just got a couple bottles of Trooper Ale ).
    Dunno whats going on.

Covid and then gallbladder out. My system just doesnt find beer appealing now.

Friggin hate those Wuhan virus loosing bastids.

LOL

Top Bottom