• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think it's the eBay generation here. I've been looking for a new Sig P220 SA/DA. I'll even take a flyer at a used one. I don't need a pic on the website. I need a phone number. I want to talk to the owner and get a feel for him and his way of doing things. If he seems jake, I'll take him at his word on condition and go meet up with him.

It's a firearm for Chrissake! You are supposed to be meeting in person unless it's an FFL transaction.

People in Indiana a pretty good about doing what they say they are going to do and describing things the way they truthfully are. If they aren't, they can pull a picture off the internet and most everyone wouldn't be the wiser.

For those of us who were raised pre-jpg, you know what I mean. To those afterwards, you're missing out on some very good deals....which is fine with me.

One more thing, Armslist is a great place to go. It is almost entirely based on trust. When I have used it, I've used stock manufacturer's fotos for NIB items. No one has ever complained. Why...because they are NIB items.

I disagree, its not the eBay generation. I am much older than that and I want to see a pic before I commit to driving any real distance to see and check out a gun before I buy it.

Oh yeah, I and most of my friends are well pre .jpg.

This isn't just about NIB items. The discussion is about posting a pic for your listing, that starts the trust.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not posting pictures conveys a LOT of information about the seller.

On the negative side it could mean...

1. they're lazy
    2. they're technologically incompetent
    3. they're misrepresenting the item

On the positive side... well, there are no positives...

I don't want to deal with a person that has any of those traits.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    vwsqh3.jpg

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    No Kj I am not from Knox, I grew up in Valpo/Hebron. There are a lot of Sheets in the region though. In addition to firearms I am also an avid softball player. There is a softball forum that I use that also has classified. I would never buy a bat on there without a picture either, and that is far less valuable then a firearm. People will inherently overstate what they are selling and bad descriptions are more frequent than most think. Round count is important too, but I would never hold someone to an exact number. A savvy buyer will look at a bore to determine how used a firearm is anyway. If I am not mistaken many of us are savvy enough to explain how to post a picture if you don't know, just ask us :)

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    You guys seem to be thinking too hard about the "no pictures" thing. Like I said not all of us have a camera or phone that will upload to a computer.

And like was mentioned before in this thread..... next time you sell an expensive item (here or elsewhere), why not take $95 and buy a decent digital camera. Note I didn't say "good" camera. Doesn't need to be the top $$ stuff. You can view pics in my profile galleries, that were taken w/ a $105 Kodak.

Also, if you wanna resize or any such thing, site services like Photobucket and TinyPic are free, and easy enough to use.

Just an FYI, the pics will help BOTH the seller and the buyer. I once saw a Remmy 40X advertised (on another site). Ad had pics. Price on the rifle was about $800 IIRC. The pic showed a genuine, original 40X 'SPORTER' which were made in the Remington Custom Shop. It's value was about THREE GRAND! The seller had inherited the rifle, and didn't know what he had.

Because there were pics, I was able to help the seller not lose at least $2000 on the sale of his rifle. :cool:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I don't hold it against someone if they don't post a pic of a common item. If someone says it's a black PMag, I know what a black PMag looks like. Either I trust them or I don't. If they wanted to lie about it, they could always post a fake or altered pic of their item. If I'm selling something, I always try to post a pic but I won't pass up an item that I want just because of no photo.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I don't hold it against someone if they don't post a pic of a common item. If someone says it's a black PMag, I know what a black PMag looks like. Either I trust them or I don't. If they wanted to lie about it, they could always post a fake or altered pic of their item. If I'm selling something, I always try to post a pic but I won't pass up an item that I want just because of no photo.

When it comes to condition I don't think people necessarily "lie".

There seems to be a wide and varied opinion of what excellent is. Some people consider a carry piece that has a lot of finish wear to still be in excellent condition because it was shot little. But it could look like it's been treated harshly by obvious amount of finish wear. A pic is worth a thousand words. This can get really bad in the long gun section. People hunt and expose guns to the elements. Then list a gun as great shape with a couple of marks, which they think gives it character. When in fact it's beat to hell with exposed metal that will either take constant attention to keep from rusting or a refinish job.

Like I said I don't think people lie, however there does seem to be a wide range of opinions involved when it comes to the condition of a used gun.

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    One of the car forums I frequent had some real problems with people getting screwed during transactions a few years ago.

They instituted a "no pics, no thread" rule and it virtually eliminated all of the problems. You either follow the rules in the classifieds section, or you do not participate.

People complained like crazy...for a few months. Everyone got used to it and the classifieds are humming like a well oiled machine now.

If you are competent enough to hang out on this forum, you should have no excuse to be unable to post pictures of any item you are selling. There are FAQs everywhere that tell you how to post pictures.

If that's too much of a hassle for you, well then....maybe the title of this thread fits you perfectly.

Fort Liberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    So after going through all the ad's with no pics and also discounting the silly overpriced ad's, I ended up buying a new gun from Fort Liberty. Normally the classifieds can be a source for a good deal, lately its been more a source for comic relief.

THANK YOU!

scotty824

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    maybe i am old school or something, what about face to face. Description is key to a good sale in my in my neck of the woods. Plus you my meet someone interesting

just my thoughts, Scotty

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    You guys expect someone to buy a $50+ camera (that takes crappy pics) to represent a $500 item? I still can't wrap my mind around it. For me that would be a waste of $50+ since I never use a camera. If you are driving for awhile for an item with no pics and barely a description that's on you if it goes sour. If I buy an expensive item I'm all over it for details. If the seller can't be bothered to accurately describe his item a deal doesn't happen. Pictures or no pictures.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    You guys expect someone to buy a $50+ camera (that takes crappy pics) to represent a $500 item? I still can't wrap my mind around it. For me that would be a waste of $50+ since I never use a camera. If you are driving for awhile for an item with no pics and barely a description that's on you if it goes sour. If I buy an expensive item I'm all over it for details. If the seller can't be bothered to accurately describe his item a deal doesn't happen. Pictures or no pictures.

Actually, those "$50 crappy cameras" take better pics than the good ole cameras of yesteryear. Plus, most "crappy" cell phones also take photos. You're right...nothing for art, but certainly good enough for INTERNET purposes.

Top Bottom