• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I agree with this statement. People in my neighborhood hate my driving because I NEVER speed, I come to COMPLETE stops at all the stop signs. I have actually had someone run into my receiver hitch, it make a nice hole in the bumper, them back up and rip the entire bumper off of their car. They they get out screaming at me about why I was stopped. When I told them it was a legal requirement to stop at a stop sign and I would be more than happy to call the police to report them ramming my truck from behind, they decided it was better to pick up their bumper put it in their back seat and carry on... LOL... I do love that one...

Gunner

^^^This!! Love it!! Makes me want to leave my hitch on year round.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    This is the type of behavior that needs to be corrected. There is no legal or articulable reason for the officer to have taken your gun. Unless he has a reason that he can articulate as to why he needs to remove the firearm from your area of control, he should leave it be. "Officer safety" doesn't count as an articulable reason. Many officers are doing this kind of thing "just because that's how we have always done it" and that's not acceptable. Departments are getting sued because officers are damaging expensive guns doing this kind of thing. I know that my department has paid-out several settlements for damaged guns, one on an Ed Brown 1911 that was dropped as it was being taken for "officer safety". You need to file a formal, written complaint with the Chief of Police about this incident, that's the only way this kind of behavior will get changed. I don't know how things work in Hammond, but send a copy of your complaint to the Mayor, City Council, or whomever has a seat at the policy table along with the Chief.

Maybe you should get the officers name from the original poster so you can drop him a message that you're the one that encouraged him to file a complaint on him.:rolleyes:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Tagging for updates.

FWIW, I would lean towards the complaint line of action. *Knocking on wood*, I haven't gotten a ticket in a number of years and though I've read these threads a number of times since joining, I don't know that I would have done things any differently than you, Mark. I totally agree that it defies common sense safety to be manipulating a stranger's firearm along the side of the road for no legitimate reason and the unwarranted snatching and unloading should stop.

Just for the sake of conversation: In view of how the situation went down, other than the gun-thing, the professionalism of the officer, maybe, rather than jumping straight to formal complaint, you start of with a meeting with the officer's superior and discuss the issue while complementing him on the parts he did correctly?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This is the type of behavior that needs to be corrected. There is no legal or articulable reason for the officer to have taken your gun. Unless he has a reason that he can articulate as to why he needs to remove the firearm from your area of control, he should leave it be. "Officer safety" doesn't count as an articulable reason. Many officers are doing this kind of thing "just because that's how we have always done it" and that's not acceptable. Departments are getting sued because officers are damaging expensive guns doing this kind of thing. I know that my department has paid-out several settlements for damaged guns, one on an Ed Brown 1911 that was dropped as it was being taken for "officer safety". You need to file a formal, written complaint with the Chief of Police about this incident, that's the only way this kind of behavior will get changed. I don't know how things work in Hammond, but send a copy of your complaint to the Mayor, City Council, or whomever has a seat at the policy table along with the Chief.
    I knew, that YOU, would have a REASONABLE answer !!!!!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    One of the Hammond desk sergeants is a friend of mine. The last time I had a situation with Hammond officer he told me to give him the officer's name so he could hassle him about not knowing the gun laws.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    So, play this out another way. This is for all of the guys who are on the side of "Stupid cop".

What if YOU were that officer. In a gang prevalent environment, and had pulled over 2 vehicles, in which you were going to ticket both. With road rage, and cop hate all around, you know BOTH drivers have loaded guns, and could easily get the drop on you. You SERIOUSLY wouldn't consider to remove that threat in a non-violent manner? I understand unloading it and handing it back. I don't agree with opening the glove box, but I'm sure resident officers can clarify whether there needs to be a lock on it, and locked for it to be an illegal search issue.

However, I'm unsure whether there is a procedure for this, Considering the door was open, and the gun/holster was in plain view.

I would honestly just be grateful for the lesser ticket and move on.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    So, play this out another way. This is for all of the guys who are on the side of "Stupid cop".

What if YOU were that officer. In a gang prevalent environment, and had pulled over 2 vehicles, in which you were going to ticket both. With road rage, and cop hate all around, you know BOTH drivers have loaded guns, and could easily get the drop on you. You SERIOUSLY wouldn't consider to remove that threat in a non-violent manner? I understand unloading it and handing it back. I don't agree with opening the glove box, but I'm sure resident officers can clarify whether there needs to be a lock on it, and locked for it to be an illegal search issue.

However, I'm unsure whether there is a procedure for this, Considering the door was open, and the gun/holster was in plain view.

I would honestly just be grateful for the lesser ticket and move on.

NO way I would be coonfingering a weapon on the side of the road. Would I temporarily seize a firearm, honestly, no, if the driver had their LTCH.

Gunner

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You either aren't married, or have been married many times.

Incorrect. Not sure where you were heading with this or by attempting to dismiss me as "internet bravado" but I assure you, I will throw convenience to the wind and respond to that question with the question I posted.

I find it humorous (and just a little sad) that such a tame response would strike you as bravado at all.

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How did this turn into an illegal search? From the OP, the officer placed the gun on or under the seat and decided to put the magazine in the glove box. If he were rummaging through the glove box, I understand the concern. The Hammond area is not a great area and I agree with Roll Tide. Some things were not handled in a great way but the officer was professional, the OP was let off for a lesser charge. He could have made the 14 and over stick and didn't. What I don't understand is why the OP left out the most important details in the original thread. The emptying of the gun and all was stated later.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    How did this turn into an illegal search? From the OP, the officer placed the gun on or under the seat and decided to put the magazine in the glove box. If he were rummaging through the glove box, I understand the concern. The Hammond area is not a great area and I agree with Roll Tide. Some things were not handled in a great way but the officer was professional, the OP was let off for a lesser charge. He could have made the 14 and over stick and didn't. What I don't understand is why the OP left out the most important details in the original thread. The emptying of the gun and all was stated later.

Because with most everything else I've seen so far here involving LEO's, this has been blown way out of proportion. IE, an officer here telling a person to file a formal complaint on another officer when he only has ONE side of the story after the officer was admittedly polite and gave the original poster a break with the ticket.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    A different view:

Any traffic stop where I don't end up in cuffs and neither of us get shot is a good stop. If I can get a $300 ticket reduced to a parking violation, I'm gonna do what the officer said. I am NOT gonna call his boss. I'm not gonna become a test case for the second or fourth amendment. I'm gonna do my best not to be on anyone's sh*t list in my community.

On the other hand, if I did have an illegal substance in the vehicle and the officer found it when he opened my glove compartment, you have cause to have your lawyer get the likely charges thrown out.

As Mr. Miyagi said: "Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later [makes squish gesture]"
    Just so we're all clear here: you have admitted that you find the trampling of your rights acceptable because in the course of trampling your rights, your penalty for X was reduced from $$$ to $.

Let's just say I pick my fights based on better criteria. When I'm 14 mph over the speed limit and no cuffs, no broken firearm, I'm gonna go get a burger and forget about it.

We have too many armchair warriors on this site.
    Correction: you pick fights based on different criteria.

Why would ANY traffic stop end up with you in cuffs or shot? I mean really, unless you love really speeding super fast, then I cant see why you would be worried at all. As for being on someones crap list, who cares, why because you are afraid they are going to pull you over all the time, dont speed, stop at all signs, use your turn signals, make sure all your lights work, dont carry your weed in the car, and you have nothing to worry about.

Gunner
    Maybe that's a little insight into why Manatee is so quick to accept the inappropriate behavior of the officer on a firearm issue. It keeps the attention away from other issues?????? :dunno:

Truer words have never been spoken.
    Just keeping it at an even keel. Need all those armchair warriors to balance out the spineless slaves.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Yeah, he's never stood along the road in the middle of the night as a lone officer, but he knows it all.

I know the LTCH holder didnt have to go thru a background check to get the thing now did they...

Remember OFFICERS... the average citizen who NOTIFIES you of a weapon and who have their LTCH are not the ones to fear... sheesh... but then again, I guess since it is now taught that every citizen is a threat, that everyone is out to do an officer harm that everyone should be cuffed until the encounter if over... I say that if an officer cant do their job without infringing upon a citizens RIGHTS then they maybe should find another job that they can perform without being so scared... Just saying since well you call me a know it all...

Gunner

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because with most everything else I've seen so far here involving LEO's, this has been blown way out of proportion. IE, an officer here telling a person to file a formal complaint on another officer when he only has ONE side of the story after the officer was admittedly polite and gave the original poster a break with the ticket.
    What does being polite have to do with it? Are we supposed to take it up the ass without complaint just because the LEO that pulls us over was kind enough to remember the lube?

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana

The officer opened the OP's glove box without consent. That in of itself would be considered an illegal search. If the OP would have had a pound of weed in their glovebox, that would have been considered "fruit of the forbidden tree" since no consent was given to open the glove box.

Gunner

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I know the LTCH holder didnt have to go thru a background check to get the thing now did they...

Remember OFFICERS... the average citizen who NOTIFIES you of a weapon and who have their LTCH are not the ones to fear... sheesh... but then again, I guess since it is now taught that every citizen is a threat, that everyone is out to do an officer harm that everyone should be cuffed until the encounter if over... I say that if an officer cant do their job without infringing upon a citizens RIGHTS then they maybe should find another job that they can perform without being so scared... Just saying since well you call me a know it all...

Gunner
    I'll do you one better: emergency responders are now narcing on the people they have been called to help.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    What does being polite have to do with it? Are we supposed to take it up the ass without complaint just because the LEO that pulls us over was kind enough to remember the lube?

Nope, I think it's just pretty pathetic that people jump imediately to the "file a formal complaint" BS right from the get go. It's just a generational thing these days....people like to whine a lot

Top Bottom