• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My point was they say it's not for the revenue brought in but for our safety. If it's for our safety why are tickets well over $100 now. People will still speed. If I'm not mistaken traffic deaths have been down even though the speed limits were raised. I know a lot of it is b/c cars are safer now. A lot of you didn't have to suffer the agony of 55MPH speeds. Ugghhh.... Driving fast and driving wreckless are two different things. I try to drive for the road conditions, traffic, weather and time of day. Sometimes it faster, sometimes slower. Just IMHO. ;)

Again, I can't wait for 'robot cars' of the future. It would be quite easy NOW to put in an automatic speed limit device inside cars, based on GPS and posted limits. MY BET IS that even thought it's feasible TODAY, it won't be consumers, but rather LEOs and municipalities that will ENSURE they don't get put into cars. Because if NO CARS COULD SPEED, there would be far fewer revenue spigots to turn on in a whim; less swimming with sharks.

I say, if people agree to go faster, then pass laws making the limits higher. Or, make cars control your upper limit so that you can't break the law.

I'm all for either.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow... rough problem..... seems one solution might be to drive the speed limit, and not worry about speeding tickets, quotas, pimp-mobiles, and like that.... might also eliminate the issue of whether to disclose if you have a gun in the vehicle or not.... oh, already figured that out? Works for me ... :)

Perhaps I'm just oversimplifying things... maybe 'cause I'm old....... sigh

I agree. My cruise will work to +- 1 mph or so (excluding Smoky Mountain downhill : ) ), but the lowest it will go is 24 mph. I see SOME 20 mph speed zones. But I set my speedo at 24 for 25 mph limit, 29 for 30, 34 for 35, because IF your speedo is reading the limit (eg 35 in a 35) then technically you are exceeding that limit. 35 speedo HAS TO BE 35.00000000001 or above let's say. Whereas 34 can be 34.999999999999999 and therefore within the law.

So, all you guys going the speed limit, you are exceeding it just as is a person going 100. :)

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Ok so heres my take on it....speed limits are set low because of the insurance lobbyist....political. No one else has a vested interest that they are kept low.

The court system has become dependent on the income from the tickets.

Oh then you have the new push (grants that pay for the overtime) from the federal government over the seat belt...no warning, just tickets bs that is pushed by someone who gets a kickback from the insurance companies.... lobbyist.

I really like police officers that do police work, not so much the guys whos job it is to do nothing more than write tickets.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There will be no reason as soon as all cars are in essence autonomous. Anti-crash, anti-pedestrian-crash issues will preclude any and all insurance industry objections. And, throw in making it impossible for a car to NOT observe the limit, then police can attend to other duties. That will be win-win-win, won't it? Unless someone NEEDS those vices to be there. Addicted to speed/revenue I say.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    There will be no reason as soon as all cars are in essence autonomous. Anti-crash, anti-pedestrian-crash issues will preclude any and all insurance industry objections. And, throw in making it impossible for a car to NOT observe the limit, then police can attend to other duties. That will be win-win-win, won't it? Unless someone NEEDS those vices to be there. Addicted to speed/revenue I say.

It will never happen in my life time. It would be the same as banning guns.
    Fast cars, guns and fried chicken = United States of America

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

It'll never happen. When I was a kid they kept saying we'd be driving flying cars like George Jetson and living on the moon. IF it were to happen what would you do in an emergency? If 100% of the people on the road have to pass you don't you think by you going the exact speed limit insted of going with the traffic flow you might be causing a traffic hazard? A group of kids on one of the coast got on a 5 or six lane highway that circled their city and had their cars side by side and did exactly the speed limit causing a major back up and numerous accidents behind them. I don't go around driving like a Fast n Furious wannabe but I do drive above the limit alot of the time, as stated in my previous entry, depending on traffic flow, weather, time of day, etc. If you do drive exactly the speed limit I hope at least you stay in the right lane and are not camping in the high speed lanes.

Last edited:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, what a coincidence. Trooper Mustang in this story today happened during one of the stops on I-465.

Driver crashes into ISP Trooper on I-465

Crushed Mustang

picture2ec.png

picture1nmw.png

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've seen Tahoes or Durangos up on 37 North that were unmarked but had so many red/blue LEDs lit up that it looked like a circus car or ready for a parade. It had some dude pulled over and there were lights in the grille, under the bumper, in the windshield, along the side and around the back. I almost crashed b/c I thought it was a friggin UFO!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Never mind, I reread the story so my post wouldn't have made sense. Like most of my others I suppose....

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    In Porter County there are a fair amount of unmarked black Chargers. Funny thing though, IIRC they only have V6s so I'm not sure what the point is? And there is at least one unmarked black Mustang.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think that now thru Memorial Weekend it's either Operation "Click it or Ticket" or Operation "Pull over". They'll be alot more on the road. No more 4 door Sedans!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wow... rough problem..... seems one solution might be to drive the speed limit, and not worry about speeding tickets, quotas, pimp-mobiles, and like that.... might also eliminate the issue of whether to disclose if you have a gun in the vehicle or not.... oh, already figured that out? Works for me ... :)

Perhaps I'm just oversimplifying things... maybe 'cause I'm old....... sigh

It is almost nearly impossible to drive the speed limit and not be run over.
    Drivers routinely try to occupy the area you are currently in, and if they can't do that they will be in such a bust arse hurry that they will ride your rear, nearly clip your bumper while trying to pass you on the left, then the cut you off and take the exit to the right. All for what, a mere .5 seconds.

You truly want to correct the public's problem with speeding. tailgating and dangerous driving?

This is what needs to be done, drop the excessive fines and start issuing suspensions.

You threaten a individual with the possibility that they are going to have to bum, borrow, beg, take a bus or taxi for a ride then every person who drives a vehicle will change their mindset and start to operate and drive the vehicle like a sane person.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It is almost nearly impossible to drive the speed limit and not be run over.

Not true. I've been driving the speed limit for many years, and I've never been run over. I've also never let another driver dictate how I drive.

Justify speeding however you want.... it's just not worth the potential hassle to me.....

Top Bottom