• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Need to go for a better distributor. Have somewhere at the store a truck can drop pallets off?

Search Results - Government Liquidation

There is no guarantee the same items will be available week to week and no guarantee on consistent pricing. Auctions COULD be lower but next week could be much higher. Additionally not consistent location of where items are available. One week locally, next week shipping costs are high due to further location from store, so inconsistent pricing.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Oh. I think everyone learned at least one new technique. Most of them were demo-ed in a small grill that they brought for the purpose. Here are all of the ones that I can remember in no particular order:

• "Fire in a can"- Take a small paint can, stuff a toilet roll minus tube into it, add a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Burns for many hours, seals well, keeps for years.
    • Magnesium fire starter- had a real problem during the demo. Definitely not the easiest solution.
    • Waterproof/strike anywhere matches.
    • Various spark tools.
    • The basic lighter- easiest and first solution. Zippos leak and don't keep very long. Bics can last for years, but use an O-ring to keep the lever from being depressed when not in use.
    • Basic fire-building technique- start with small, dry tinder, add small twigs, small branches and work your way up to full size logs.
    • Magnifying glass as a fire starter + variations. Ex: put water in a plastic/glass bottle and you can use it the same way, but it is harder than a magnifying glass.
    • Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Many can be stored in a small waterproof containers.
    • Commercial, inexpensive micro stove (sorry, don't know the proper name)- small aluminum frame that comes with some flammable pellets. Can also be used with other small flammables. Folds up, so it is very compact and is reusable. Useful to heat a cup of water when hiking/camping.
    • Take grass and stick it in your pockets. By the time you've collected firewood, the water will wick out and can be used as tinder.
    • Dryer lint (particularly cotton) makes a very good tinder.
    • 9v battery + steel wool- creates hot embers that you can build up from
    The techniques were all over the board from how to initiate sparks/fire, different forms of tinder, to building them up to larger size, and from easy to desperation-class solutions. Some of the techniques used items that you could buy at ISD, but many did not. Walt always pointed out ones he carried, but wasn't pushy about it at all. He really is very much into the education. This is the second workshop that I've attended as ISD. One nice feature is that Walt starts the discussions and offers his ideas, but then other people are free to jump in and offer their own solutions. Everyone learns something new and many more ideas are presented this way. I'm sure this can/should be done again at some point.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Berkeys are on the way!:rockwoot:I hope there are others as excited as I am.
    The first filtwers will arive next Wednesday (10/3). Not sure of exact time, all depends on UPS.
    Walt

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Oh. I think everyone learned at least one new technique. Most of them were demo-ed in a small grill that they brought for the purpose. Here are all of the ones that I can remember in no particular order:

• "Fire in a can"- Take a small paint can, stuff a toilet roll minus tube into it, add a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Burns for many hours, seals well, keeps for years.
    • Magnesium fire starter- had a real problem during the demo. Definitely not the easiest solution.
    • Various spark tools.
    • The basic lighter- easiest and first solution. Zippos leak and don't keep very long. Bics can last for years, but use an O-ring to keep the lever from being depressed when not in use.
    • Basic fire-building technique- start with small, dry tinder, add small twigs, small branches and work your way up to full size logs.
    • Magnifying glass as a fire starter + variations. Ex: put water in a plastic/glass bottle and you can use it the same way, but it is harder than a magnifying glass.
    • Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Many can be stored in a small waterproof containers.
    • Commercial, inexpensive micro stove (sorry, don't know the proper name)- small aluminum frame that comes with some flammable pellets. Can also be used with other small flammables. Folds up, so it is very compact and is reusable. Useful to heat a cup of water when hiking/camping.
    • Take grass and stick it in your pockets. By the time you've collected firewood, the water will wick out and can be used as tinder.
    The techniques were all over the board from how to initiate sparks/fire, different forms of tinder, to building them up to larger size, and from easy to desperation-class solutions. Some of the techniques used items that you could buy at ISD, but many did not. Walt always pointed out ones he carried, but wasn't pushy about it at all. He really is very much into the education. This is the second workshop that I've attended as ISD. One nice feature is that Walt starts the discussions and offers his ideas, but then other people are free to jump in and offer their own solutions. Everyone learns something new and many more ideas are presented this way. I'm sure this can/should be done again at some point.

Well said

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Saturday 4pm ISD prepping 001 intro into prepping. Want to know where to start? Have questions but not sure where to go? Come on out to ISD.

Yeah had good reasons to miss this one. Sounds like there will be another. Will do best to make that one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

• Various spark tools.

Wish I could have made it...they forgot corn chips as a fire starter..seen that on survival man.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

These are closed top with two 2" bung openings. If anyone wants these converted to permanent open top, will bring reciprocating saw and can cut tops off during pick up/delivery.

ooo no that is the good ones...perfect for water storage...I have a hand pump that is on a long tube that goes to the bottom pf the barrel and you can get just about every drop of water out. Trust me people the price of these barrels at 20 bucks a piece is a steal.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    It was brought up but no one had any handy :dunno: also bugles but once again no one had any handy :dunno:

Besides I would eat them first :D

Light a twinkie on fire - might not be good to START a fire, but most of your vacuum sealed snacks will burn very well due to high fat content. :draw:

Top Bottom