• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I went to the ISD meeting last night and it was great. Walt big thanks for hosting and getting us all together. I am going to do all I can to help spread the word about your growing business. Wife and I will be in this weekend.

I learned some new things and got some good ideas from it. I shared some things as well with others and hopefully they gained some knowledge. I unfortunately showed up late and missed 30 min.

Some of you had great comments and things to share; I unfortunately didn’t get to write them all down. Asking that you post some things or references you shared if you want.

I had the aquaponics greenhouse in my back yard. Happy to answer any questions, have a tour, or even separate thread to answer any questions or discuss.

I also spoke of raising chickens within city limits. I have 18 chickens (16 hens and 2 roos) on .22 acres in suburbia, Marion County. Can share about this as well.

I spoke of 299 days book by Glen Tate, and The Survival Podcast and associated forum by Jack Spirko. FYI picking up Patriot at the recommendations of one of the people last night.

I would like to know more about food discount stores and the canning/LDS place. If anyone knows or are associated with them are they open to a group buy/volunteer/workforce?

I liked the idea about bulk buying and would like to see more discussion/organization of this.

I would like to know more about surplus military vehicles and the guy who has restored/has his own. Where to buy, where to get parts, advice/tips.

I am interested if anyone would like to have more meetings, or organize more meetings.

Would a topic/list of suggested topics for next meeting help? Maybe Food storage, or water storage and getting clean water. We had a lot of great nfo but think we just hit the surface on many topics.

Thanks Rick

Hey there Rick - I was the one who told you about Patriots ;-)

I must have wrote your emaikl incorrectly but I did find your website.

I'll hit you on PM would like to check out your setup.

Cheers

IndyPrepper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Just a reminder - Meeting on "Go Bags" Tuesday September 18. If your new to prepping come to learn how to build a bag to suit your needs. If your already there, bring your bag to help others that are learning and who knows what we all may find we need to add or take out. I look at this as a good opertunity to help each other improve our bags. Hope to see everybody there.
    Thanks,
    Walt

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    The bag is in the veh(like always)and ready for show and tell,add,subtract or what ever

What if we have a weapon as part of the bag ? Should we obvioulsy unload it before entering or leave it in the car and pretend it is in the bag ??

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    The bag is in the veh(like always)and ready for show and tell,add,subtract or what ever

What if we have a weapon as part of the bag ? Should we obvioulsy unload it before entering or leave it in the car and pretend it is in the bag ??

Yes! Thank You Rude1 and thank you for bringing this up. If your like me and keep a firearm in your bag, for everybodys safety PLEASE either leave it in the car or check it to make sure it is UNLOADED before coming in. I'm good with either but safety is priority #1. The last thing we want is an accident. I appreciate everybodys help and understanding with this.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Good topic for a ISD meet ! ?

Short of the getting stung part of it bees are cool

We have 2 rooms at the shop that are set up for training - TV, white board and away from the store so we can do training during regular hours. This would be great for one of our first topics and I have had other discussions recently with people willing to volonteer to help with other topics. I will bring it up at the beginning of the October 4th meeting and see what kinds of responce we can get as far as topics and people who are willing share thier time to help us all out. I have a personal interest in the bees and there are a few other topics I know I want more info on. I will see what I can do. I have the space if anyone is willing to help.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    ISD Classes

Oh, Oh, pick me, pick me.

I volunteer to put together a class or organize. I do this for my normal job. But talking about something I actually LIKE for a change would be great.

CPR/First aid is a good class and does anyone know if any organization offers free classes to groups?

I have CERT leadership meeting next week and will see what I can learn about maybe a CERT training too.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Oh, Oh, pick me, pick me.

I volunteer to put together a class or organize. I do this for my normal job. But talking about something I actually LIKE for a change would be great.

CPR/First aid is a good class and does anyone know if any organization offers free classes to groups?

I have CERT leadership meeting next week and will see what I can learn about maybe a CERT training too.
    I received an email from Elia James, the Marion County CERT coordinator. These are the classes that have been discussed at some meeting. This is great free training if you have the time to go. The next set of classes to get CERT certified are Sept. 22, Sept. 29, Oct. 6 and Oct. 9 from 9:00am - 3:00 pm At this location: 3930 Georgetown Rd. , Indianapolis, IN 46254

The link to sign up for the class and more info is:

https://ifdquartermaster.wufoo.com/forms/dhs-cert-training/

Elia's contact info if you have more questions is:

Elia James
    Communications Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Division of Homeland Security
    Department of Public Safety
    47 S. State Avenue, B04
    Indianapolis, IN 46201

elia.james2@indy.gov
    317-327-1478[/url] (Office)
    317-327-3900[/url] (Main Office)
    317-506-7770[/url] (Mobile)
    317-327-7508[/url] (Fax)

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    There was a comment on using ceramic/clay planting pots as a water filter and evidently this has been studied and approved for other countries but not pushed too much here. (Just not allot of money in it) Here are a few links that I found on the subject which leads to a very inexpensive water filter. Again, I think having a portable/and/or berkey filter leads to allot of peace of mind and a good purchase, there are always options.

Ceramic Water Filter Operation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=EU3rRiWsRE0

There was also a question on a lightweight tarp with the survival blanket built in. Here is an example of what I was talking about. It suits multiple purposes, shelter, warmth and others. I'm sure Walt at the Prepper store can get these for you if you let him know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZtEzEdbc4

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I finally stopped in today. Not in any position to buy anything yet, but had a good talk with the owner he is a really nice guy. I will be supporting this business when I am able to do so!

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Sorry I had to leave before all was done, really wanted to see what else people had and things I could try different

Otherwise it was good to see everyone !

And like last time the coffee was

Thanks Walt

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I drove up to Indy to check this place out a few weeks ago on a Saturday. My timing sucked as it was closed with a sign on the whiteboard saying "Gone to the track". So didn't have a chance to go in and look around. Really didn't see any merchandise when I looked in the window though. I'm wondering if it's all in the back? Or order as needed?

Would be nice to have some place closer to do my hands on shopping for preps and LTS goods. Indy is 2 hrs one way for me versus that preparedness store in Waynesville NC. 6 hr one way. I'm heading down there next week for a mini vacation / shopping trip. Indy would just be a day trip. Much more convenient.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Sorry but the store will not open until 3:00 Saturday (after I get off work).
    Sunday we will be closed for a family event.

On the good news side Heirloom Seeds are in and on the shelf. We are also starting a bulk pre-buy on 55gal water drums and ammo cans. I will put up more info in the next couple dayd when I get all the info together. Mylar bags with O2 absorbers should be in next week.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I will take at least 5 barrels and at least 5 ammo cans. Waiting on pricing, but I helped scope them out so have some info already. J
    FYI, Walt had a great idea I never thought about.
    Store 3-6 55 gal barrels on their side then frame it and put a mattress on top. I am simplifying, but one more place I didn’t think I had room for storage. I am sure he can give better and more details. Just a thought about buying these barrels.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    We are also starting a bulk pre-buy on 55gal water drums and ammo cans. I will put up more info in the next couple dayd when I get all the info together.

I'm interested in 3 barrels and a couple of ammo cans. I specifically need food grade, sealed top barrels. I know most folks would prefer the easier open tops. Will you have both?

When you know you have enough interest, you might want to post in the Group Buy section to get committed orders.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Stopped in today while we were on the east side, bought a book and my daughter played with their dog. Would like to definitely see more stock but understand that it all comes with time. My only real gripe as a fellow business owner would be that we were not greeted when we came through the door, it took about 10 min and they were with another customer at the time so we walked around looking at the limited stock. I found a book that I wanted. I understand how it goes but I always try to go out of my way to make a customer feel welcome. Once I talked with them (at check out) I felt more at ease I am sure we will be back as things get stocked some more.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom