Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This. I've had people say this exact sentiment to me. "Thats why I dont own guns. If I did I'd probably get mad at someone and just shoot them out of frustration." And they were 100% serious with not even a hint of hyperbole or sarcasm.

So yes, projection for sure.

So, what they're sayin' banning guns keep them out of prison?

Seriously, I've had people express similar sentiments. One guy asked something to the effect "So you really think you're not tempted to shoot someone when you get pissed?" Huh? Dude. I'm carrying right now. It's never crossed my mind.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So, what they're sayin' banning guns keep them out of prison?

Seriously, I've had people express similar sentiments. One guy asked something to the effect "So you really think you're not tempted to shoot someone when you get pissed?" Huh? Dude. I'm carrying right now. It's never crossed my mind.
    I'm no more tempted than I am to run someone over with my car, or stab them with my knife, or hit them upside the head with something hard.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This. I've had people say this exact sentiment to me. "Thats why I dont own guns. If I did I'd probably get mad at someone and just shoot them out of frustration." And they were 100% serious with not even a hint of hyperbole or sarcasm.

So yes, projection for sure.

When people say that, I tell them that they have knives in the kitchen, baseball bats in the house, and they drive 2 ton killing machines at insane speeds. Yet they don't go around killing people.
    The gun is just projected into their minds, because of a 24/7 campaign by the media.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm no more tempted than I am to run someone over with my car, or stab them with my knife, or hit them upside the head with something hard.

KLB made my point 45 minutes before I did.
    This.
    I tell people there's plenty of things out there to kill people with.
    Yet they DON'T do it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When people say that, I tell them that they have knives in the kitchen, baseball bats in the house, and they drive 2 ton killing machines at insane speeds. Yet they don't go around killing people.
    The gun is just projected into their minds, because of a 24/7 campaign by the media.

I think there is a low information component to their viewpoint also. So many times I encounter the viewpoint that 'guns are only good for killing'. If they are unaware of, or cannot conceive of, another purpose for a firearm, then they will associate them only with murder and mayhem

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think there is a low information component to their viewpoint also. So many times I encounter the viewpoint that 'guns are only good for killing'. If they are unaware of, or cannot conceive of, another purpose for a firearm, then they will associate them only with murder and mayhem

...and sports car are only good for speeding past school buses with the Stop Arm out and doing doughnuts in parking lots. Pickup trucks are only good for displaying Confederate Flags and having gun racks in the back window. Four-wheel drives are only good for driving through your neighbor's yard when it's soggy and leaving huge ruts.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I've heard that also.
    I reply.. self defense, equalizer for those not as physically fit, equalizer for those attacked by multiple people, shooting at a range, shooting competitions, etc.
    I tell them my gun has been on my hip for 30 years, been shot thousands of times. Yet NEVER killed anyone.
    Neither has the guns in my safe. Thousands of shots, NO deaths.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    KLB made my point 45 minutes before I did.
    This.
    I tell people there's plenty of things out there to kill people with.
    Yet they DON'T do it.
    Oh, but the gun makes you want to kill people because that’s its only purpose. It’s like a magic stick that controls your mind. You’re powerless to will yourself not to harm people.

Real conversation:

me: so you’re saying a gun makes you want to kill people.

Her: yes.

me: do you want to kill me now?

Her: no. Of course not.

me: Would you want to kill me if you had a gun in your hand right now?

she hesitates: probably.

me: WTF? Have you ever touched a gun?

her: NO! My point is, I think the power that you have makes you tempted to do it. You can’t help yourself.

me: How do you keep yourself from running over pedestrians at a crosswalk? You have the same power over people’s lives then.

Her: That’s different. Cars have legitimate purposes. Guns are only for killing.

:rolleyes:

I could go on but you get the point.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, but the gun makes you want to kill people because that’s its only purpose. It’s like a magic stick that controls your mind. You’re powerless to will yourself not to harm people.

Real conversation:

her: NO! My point is, I think the power that you have makes you tempted to do it. You can’t help yourself.

me: How do you keep yourself from running over pedestrians at a crosswalk? You have the same power over people’s lives then.

Her: That’s different. Cars have legitimate purposes. Guns are only for killing.

Exactly what I'm referencing

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Real conversation:

Yes. I've also heard that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ignorance and fear, what an awesome combination.

She could overcome that if she’d be willing to ask herself if she’s full of ****. It’s not reason that gets her from “guns only purpose is to kill” to, therefore guns make you want to kill people.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Normal people don’t just shoot people simply because they have a gun.

There is usually an underlying issue that pushes them over the edge and makes them want to do it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think the expression is "the love of money" NOT "money" is the root of all evil.

Exactly!

We could also explore Ayn Rand's explanation of the root of money. My favorite phrase from that passage of Atlas Shrugged is that money is a tool that allows me to exchange my value with your value.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, money is the medium of exchanging your time (your life) for something else of value.
    That's why people who obtain a lot of money by unethical means should forfeit their time in exchange for what they took.

Or as my brother says, "And remember, the good thing about rope is it's green. You can even make it out of hemp!"
    :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom