• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    DOJ investigations, like petards, are tools that can be turned toward their creators.

Very true....but I kinda doubt that hiding in the Jussie Smollett file is the missing Russian collusion evidence.

At worst, there could be evidence that he was the tragic victim of a horrible attack and everything happened just the way he originally said....but what are the chances of that?

Dems run all aspects of that city. I will be surprised if there is a single Trump supporter who could be implicated in anything related to this case. on any side.

How important this is in the greater scheme of things....that's the question.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Very true....but I kinda doubt that hiding in the Jussie Smollett file is the missing Russian collusion evidence.

At worst, there could be evidence that he was the tragic victim of a horrible attack and everything happened just the way he originally said....but what are the chances of that?

Dems run all aspects of that city. I will be surprised if there is a single Trump supporter who could be implicated in anything related to this case. on any side.

Ah, right, I was too vague.

It seems to me that DOJ investigations into prosecutorial issues was originally intended as a tool to help with the civil rights act enforcement. That is, local police agencies were unfairly acting against racial minorities, so the feds got involved.

That scenario does not seem to apply to Smollett's situation. Yet, a DOJ investigation is on the table.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Let the FBI interview everyone in the SA office. Should be able to catch someone in a lie.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Let the FBI interview everyone in the SA office. Should be able to catch someone in a lie.

Maybe they'll find some tax fraud from 15 years ago or something. I've learned that you don't even need a specific crime to start an investigation.

The weather is starting to get nice, time to go fishing!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

It seems to me that DOJ investigations into prosecutorial issues was originally intended as a tool to help with the civil rights act enforcement. That is, local police agencies were unfairly acting against racial minorities, so the feds got involved.

That scenario does not seem to apply to Smollett's situation. Yet, a DOJ investigation is on the table.

But didn't that whole scenario arise because of the lack of equal justice under the law? Should it make any difference what color the beneficiary of that inequality is, or what his intersectionality and privilege score is? IMO it still would seem to violate the 14th - just in a novel way.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Just remember, the fact there is no proof Trump supporters did anything doesn't mean they won't be declared guilty.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Since the accusations were made about MAGA hat wearing white men that are definitely a minority in Chicago, the DOJ has precedent to be involved in this situation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is what I get for brevity.

In no way did I imply that the DOJ lacks authority to investigate. In fact, that is the very petard I was referencing. The DOJ literally HAS the authority to investigate because of the laws passed to prevent things that are basically 180 degrees out of phase with what actually happened here.

The political question of whether it should or not is different IMHO. Frankly, I'd prefer to not have tax dollars wasted on the exercise, when it is already clear what happened. But, there would be a certain crude pleasure in watching the Chicago machine suffer through the process. Not worth the price of admission, to me, but I can understand the desire to see it happen.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

In no way did I imply that the DOJ lacks authority to investigate. In fact, that is the very petard I was referencing. The DOJ literally HAS the authority to investigate because of the laws passed to prevent things that are basically 180 degrees out of phase with what actually happened here.

The political question of whether it should or not is different IMHO. Frankly, I'd prefer to not have tax dollars wasted on the exercise, when it is already clear what happened. But, there would be a certain crude pleasure in watching the Chicago machine suffer through the process. Not worth the price of admission, to me, but I can understand the desire to see it happen.

And by playing nice on this we can expect the Libprogocrats to not waste money on "Witch Hunts" in the future.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Were Foxx to be indicted and then squeezed, Mueller-style, to provide dirt on Soros or Michael O in order to cut a deal I would consider those expended resources to be a bargain

It's her turn in the barrel

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Raul Emanual to send Smollett a $135k bill for expenses incurred during the investigation.

Says when Smollett sends the check he wants him to write “Accountable” in the memo line.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No, Smollett's lawyer found an old youtube video of one of the Nigerian brothers made up in "whiteface" and pretending to be The Joker from Batman. :rolleyes:
    This is getting to be more rediculous as time goes by.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Well, it would be a historic FIRST for them to be held accountable for their actions.
    Giving them a free ride on this means more of the same.
    They are getting bolder and without a bloody nose it's going to escalate.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This case just keeps getting more screwy.

Just saw on the local news that Smollett’s case wasn’t even settled under the deferment program cited by the SA because the charges were just simply dropped in exchange for the “community service” that he had already done and agreement to forfeit the $10k bond.

Under the requirement for deferral the defendant must do some kind of community service for not less than 120 hrs. and must pay full restitution to the victim. (which would be the City of Chicago in this case)

Smollet only did 2 days of “community service ” and only forfeited the $10k bond.

Not nearly enough to cover the expenses incurred.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom