Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    David Axelrod has weighed in.

Axelrod said:
    Unless some better explanation surfaces, here’s the lesson of this weird turn in the Smollett case:
    You can contrive a hate crime, make it a national news, get caught and-if you are a well-connected celebrity-get off for $10K and have your record expunged and files sealed.

No. Sorry, folks. The brief statement offered by the prosecutor didn’t dispute the basic facts in the original charge. That’s why he was compelled to sacrifice his bond. They simply said that in light of his voluntary work in the community, this was a just resolution.

Hate crimes are loathsome. Faking them is insidious and shouldn’t be excused. Despite Smollett’s denials, nothing the prosecutor said in dismissing the case supports that. If prosecutors have evidence that contradicts the indictment THEY brought, they should share it today.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    So, Jessie Smollet claims he is found innocent and was the victim in this entire situation. If so, why did the AG say that previous community service and forfeiting his bond was appropriate? Innocent people don't pay fines and community service. This sounds far more like a criminal plea agreement than an exoneration.

In other words, Smollet is lying again, just as he did with his original attack claim.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That is a lot more complex than the jury composition....and we can't to assume we know how the jury in this case would be composed.

I had no intention to imply that the jury would be packed in his favor. I cannot help what you inferred.

In the case of OJ, please, understand that this is only my opinion, some of the jurors could never be convinced that he was guilty and the others were afraid to say he was.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Why?

The only reason I can come up with is that if you prosecute hate-crime hoaxers... less people would be inclined to hoax hate-crimes... and the hate-crime rate might drop... perhaps precipitously, even... under Trump.

Anything but that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just saw a clip of Smollett outside the courtroom today and he said (paraphrasing), "I am a man of faith, and I would never have dragged my family or the movement through all of this." WTF is "the movement" that he's talking about? Kinda sounds like it WAS planned as some sort of "movement" to me. Somehow, I don't think he was referring to "the Alice's Restaurant anti-masacree movement". Freudian slip, perhaps?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just saw a clip of Smollett outside the courtroom today and he said (paraphrasing), "I am a man of faith, and I would never have dragged my family or the movement through all of this." WTF is "the movement" that he's talking about? Kinda sounds like it WAS planned as some sort of "movement" to me. Somehow, I don't think he was referring to "the Alice's Restaurant anti-masacree movement". Freudian slip, perhaps?
    Saw one of his attorneys on the local news and she sad they just called up the SA’s office and asked them if they could take a step back and go over the case and work something out.

She even used the “reset” term that I mentioned up thread.

She still claims Smollett is innocent and his record is clean and she even mentioned that the case files are sealed so no one can ever view them which was the right thing to do because he never should have been charged in the first place.

It’s pretty much exactly like I called it in my post up thread.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Keep in mind that the mayor and the police chief are part of the many faceted machine as well. I figure "there's the say and there's the do". Part of the machine is saying this is wrong, but what's done is that Mr. Smolette is a free man and can continue with his story, making money and fame with it on the talk show circuit. Maybe paying part of that to some machine law firm?

What's been done is what's important, not what the mayor or the chief are saying.

Always follow the money

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    z8kk1Zn.jpg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I even found myself agreeing with Piers Morgan once or twice recently.
    NOT ON GUNS.
    Surprised me.

Though I wrote it off to him trying to come back to the US. It's safer here.
    I have heard him opine on a number of subjects where I thought he made sense. Guns is one subject he needs to stay away from though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom