Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe you're reading a little more into it than I said. I was just expanding on the consistency of both ways of looking at it, and how it's a two-edged sword. I never accused anyone in particular of anything. I wasn't talking about what Rush said. I wasn't talking about anything that anyone said on INGO. I didn't think I had to qualify that.

I do not recall anyone else doing it either.

Yes everyone needs to be held to the same standard. I just do not see it coming from the right.

In the Ruth Ginsberg thread I called it out early when people were wishing her ill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never answered which question? I'm confused, it seems to me I answered you question.

Why do you and folks at "large black social gatherings" think that joking about Malcom X's assassination is funny? I don't know how to ask it any more clearly than that. Trying to understand where the humor lies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why do you and folks at "large black social gatherings" think that joking about Malcom X's assassination is funny? I don't know how to ask it any more clearly than that. Trying to understand where the humor lies.

This question wasn't asked prior to now. But anyway, it's not about going about his assassination. I am unaware of any joke made concerning Malcom X prior to the release of the movie. The humorous portion comes from the re-enactment (by whomever) who people generally think is being silly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This question wasn't asked prior to now. But anyway, it's not about going about his assassination. I am unaware of any joke made concerning Malcom X prior to the release of the movie. The humorous portion comes from the re-enactment (by whomever) who people generally think is being silly.
    Probably could have included that explanation earlier.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47169552

"White House adviser Kellyanne Conway says a woman assaulted her in front of her daughter last year.

The incident, which she described to US media, is said to have taken place in a restaurant in a Washington DC suburb.

Ms Conway says the woman was "screaming her head off" when she grabbed her from behind and shook her in October.

Mary Elizabeth Inabinett, 63, denies charges of second-degree assault and disorderly conduct. She is due to stand trial in March."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Probably could have included that explanation earlier.

Right??

2166421.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You can have Elvis. If you disparage John Wayne you will be hunted to the ends of the earth and beaten within an inch of your life with wet noodles.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    JW was in the Surface Navy in the Pacific, admittedly in a cushy job, but ships did sink in that war.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne
    By many accounts, his failure to serve in the military was the most painful part of his life.[6]:212 His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home.

Movies don't count.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status (classified as 3-A – family deferment). Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures".[6]:212 Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), butRepublic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[6]:220 and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well I stand corrected, I was certain I heard a veteran say that he met him on some pacific island, but I can not find it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom