BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    From the wiki (so YMMV)

Origins: 2008–13

Richard B. Spencer claimed to have coined the term "alternative right" in 2008
    The alt-right began in 2008. In November that year, the paleoconservative ideologue and academic Paul Gottfried gave a talk at his H. L. Mencken Club in Baltimore; although titled "The Decline and Rise of the Alternative Right", it did not contain the phrase "alternative right" itself. Gottfried observed that, as the paleoconservative movement declined, a new cohort of young right-wingers were rising to take its place in challenging the neoconservative ideology then dominant in the Republican Party and broader U.S. conservative movement. One of those endorsing this idea was Richard B. Spencer, a fellow paleoconservative. Born to a wealthy family and raised in Dallas, Texas, in 2007 Spencer had dropped out of his PhD programme at Duke University to take up a position at The American Conservative magazine. Spencer claimed he coined the term "alternative right" for the lecture's title, although Gottfried maintained that they were its joint creators. As "alternative right" became associated increasingly with white nationalism in subsequent years, Gottfried distanced himself from it.

Doesn't sound like it was built for white identitarians, seems more like they are squatters and the builders have given up on eviction proceedings

Paleoconservatism (sometimes shortened to paleocon) is a predominantly United States-based conservative political philosophy which stresses traditionalism, limited government, Judeo-Christian ethics, regionalism, nationalism and European identity.

Paleoconservatism's concerns overlap those of the Old Right that opposed the New Deal in the 1930s and 1940s as well as American social conservatism of the late 20th century.

According to the international relations scholar Michael Foley:

... paleoconservatives press for
    restrictions on immigration, a rollback of multicultural programmes, the decentralization of federal policy, the restoration of controls upon free trade, a greater emphasis upon economic nationalism and non-interventionism in the conduct of American foreign policy, and a generally revanchist outlook upon a social order in need of recovering old lines of distinction and in particular the assignment of roles in accordance with traditional categories of gender, ethnicity, and race.

Supposedly the roots of the alt-right. Doesn't sound particularly out of step with conservative (small 'c') America

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From the wiki (so YMMV)

Doesn't sound like it was built for white identitarians, seems more like they are squatters and the builders have given up on eviction proceedings

Supposedly the roots of the alt-right. Doesn't sound particularly out of step with conservative (small 'c') America

I posted a thread here a few years ago back when we first started hearing about alt-right. In the OP I posted a sort of alt-right manifesto written by one of the people claiming to found the movement. Maybe go look at that. At first I thought the alt-right was harmless, just a group of people disappointed with the failure of traditional conservatism to get their ideas enacted. The manifesto kinda includes ideas of racial separatism.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here's a prophetic post from the thread I mentioned.

Until a couple months ago I never heard the term. Now, with the libs pushing it as a derogatory term, it is heard/read about daily. I fear it will soon be ensconced in our lexicon the way "assault rifle" is. Let's not help them.

Soon, "alt right" will come to define anything the left disagrees with.

It's prophetic because it is in mainstream use today. You can link back to the thread if you'd like through the post above. In the OP of the thread, I posted a link to the alt-right manifesto. For your convenience, here it is again. Vox Popoli: What the Alternative Right is

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Here's a prophetic post from the thread I mentioned.

It's prophetic because it is in mainstream use today. You can link back to the thread if you'd like through the post above. In the OP of the thread, I posted a link to the alt-right manifesto. For your convenience, here it is again. Vox Popoli: What the Alternative Right is

Thank you. You correctly intuited that I was unlikely to do the work to dredge up a years old thread of dubious interest. On the internet, last month was a hundred years ago

Some impressions:

Not sure Beale should be allowed to define alt-right, but he seems to have as much street cred as anybody else; so not sure he shouldn't

Scientody and scientodific are not words and he should stop trying to make them happen See: Fleek

I'm surprised the fourteen words weren't more prominently placed, but maybe putting them in 14) seemed somehow apropos

It doesn't take long to veer towards the wall, 5) gets the back end loose with 'homogeneous nations'. You think maybe he'll catch it in 6) and then its like he stops trying. Bam! his 'race' is over

He doesn't mention jews, which I thought was de rigueur

Did he go with Vox Popoli because he has pretensions to learning (but not Latin, app.) or because he wouldn't be able to copyright Vox Populi

Total nutbag, I'm surprised such people with such views can move the needle on anything beyond the scale of hundreds of followers. Probably cold comfort if you're Alan Berg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I mean, who hasn't donned blackface from time to time? Amirite?

IT WASN'T BLACKFACE! That would be racist.

It was...

Uhm...

"dark makeup."

(New York Times)

DyvTG9uUUAEviM8.jpg:small

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is there a certain shade darker than which spray-tan turns to blackface?

Truly, I'm swarthy enough as it is, that I've never touched that stuff. But the crap my teen-children watch makes me think that the fake-bake color scheme remains popular among the social caste.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It has become that, but the leaders of the real alt right coined the term. The left/media seized on the term to weaponize it against dissenters. BTW, they mostly call Tim Pool alt-right adjacent. Or, alt-right enabler. Doesn’t matter where you are on the political spectrum. If you’re not with the bat**** crazy leftists, you’re some form of alt right.

I came in late to this party, so, I have no knowledge of this.

The first I ever heard the term was from the left.

I am not doubting YOUR veracity in any way. I would like to see the evidence that you have seen that backs this up.

Please indulge my curiosity.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Alt-right is short for alternative right. It's part of a movement which believes conservatism has failed the right, and so it's time to ditch that and move on to a collectivist sort of nationalism/racism.

Again, I need to see the evidence. This is a left talking point, that I personally have not seen from the accused. Again I do not even know who these people are, let alone ever visited their websites or knowingly read anything they have published.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wikipedia says 2008. NPR says Spencer. Mirriam-Webster says 2009.

I don't think it really matters. What matters is the Left latched onto it, tied it to white supremacy, and ran with it. They saw this "new right" forming... the counter-culture Right... the anti-SJWs... and rather than allow them to form a movement, they took the label and poisoned it.

So now, much like a red hat, it means white supremacy, racism, etc... because that's what they do.

There was an entire meme about "leader of GamerGate", because they don't want you to organize. They named various people "leaders"... which makes no sense. It's an idea. It's a concept. It's not a tangible group.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I accept the Information posted, I had not seen any of that before.

Thank you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Jamil, I am sorry to say that I read the link you provided in the OP in that thread.

Although there are a few points I can accept.
    I am Most DEFINITELY ​NOT Alt Right!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom