• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I went to high school across the hills from Berkeley. I remember some of the older brothers of friends who were involved with Students For Democratic Action, which evolved into SDS. It was peaceful and ideological at the time, but quickly went violent when protests got larger.

It was a very violent period. There is a film on Netflix called The Trial of the Chicago 7. My wife and I watched it. It is a pretty good microcosm of the period. She felt that it brought back a lot of memories of the way things actually were at the time. It didn't matter which party you looked to. Both parties were "in power" and the kids being drafted were not.

I wonder if the soccer moms of today and their spouses would support a draft for anything like a Vietnam conflict in 2020...........
    No. The equivalent of the soccer moms the were from a different time. America is not in the mood for war, and the draft is far from people’s priorities.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Vietnam was the knee in the curve of social justice. Vietnam took some of the steam out of the progress we could have made on race relations. In fact, to some extent, Vietnam contributed to discrimination based on race. Not many black 19 year olds were exempted for bone spurs.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    So are islamic terrorists left wing or right wing?

When it came to Mohammed Atta and his merry band of butchers, they used both wings while they were learning to fly at Venice Florida. The FBO some of them used was just down the flight line from the shop that sold me my Mooney.

I was told this after the attack by the owner of the shop, because Atta was checked out in one of their Mooneys. That’s a closer encounter than I would have wanted.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Vietnam was the knee in the curve of social justice. Vietnam took some of the steam out of the progress we could have made on race relations. In fact, to some extent, Vietnam contributed to discrimination based on race. Not many black 19 year olds were exempted for bone spurs.

Any little dig you can get in.

I sincerely apologize for mentioning a product similar to your screen name.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So, it turns out that this person was a Bernie Bro:

ElAyfS_XYAI6RV3

https://www.jta.org/2020/10/23/unit...h-attorney-once-called-schindler-for-tibetans

I came here to post this update.

Bernie Bro with Van Full of Guns and Explosives Plotted to Assassinate Biden. Media Buries the Lede, as Usual

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Any little dig you can get in.

I sincerely apologize for mentioning a product similar to your screen name.

Thanks. There were a LOT of other wealthier kids, in-college kids exempted along with medical exemptions. Trump wasn't the only one and I'm glad we gave the kids who ran to Canada amnesty. It was a horrible time and a horrible war.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks. There were a LOT of other wealthier kids, in-college kids exempted along with medical exemptions. Trump wasn't the only one and I'm glad we gave the kids who ran to Canada amnesty. It was a horrible time and a horrible war.

They're all horrible

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Now do asthma

Biden received five student draft deferments and a medical exemption

Born in November 1942, Biden came of age amid the Vietnam War. But unlike millions of men of his generation, he never served in the military.

Biden received five student draft deferments, first as an undergraduate at the University of Delaware and later as a law student at Syracuse University.

And after a medical exam in April 1968, he received the "1-Y" classification, which meant he could only be drafted in a national emergency.

Biden released his Selective Service records to the Associated Press in 2008. At the time, a spokesperson said he was "disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager," per The News Journal.

Biden played football and worked as a lifeguard in high school [you know, when he was a teenager, apparently suffering from asthma] — details he included in his memoir, "Promises to Keep," per a report from the Associated Press.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It would have been impossible to get the great society spending done without Vietnam. That's something I think about when pondering the Tonkin fake out used to justify our greater involvement. I still don't know what to think about it but haven't given up trying.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The Bernie Bros seem to have a propensity for violence, that is largely overlooked or swept under the rug.

The violence we've seen was just a test run, perhaps. Getting the kinks ironed out before the election, identify 'friendlies', inoculate the public to violence?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    The violence we've seen was just a test run, perhaps. Getting the kinks ironed out before the election, identify 'friendlies', inoculate the public to violence?
    This may be one of the reason that polls have been inaccurate since the last election. We have seen an increase in political violence, especially against those who are right leaning. So, if a complete stranger phones you up and starts asking your political opinions, how likely are you to be honest with them?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This may be one of the reason that polls have been inaccurate since the last election. We have seen an increase in political violence, especially against those who are right leaning. So, if a complete stranger phones you up and starts asking your political opinions, how likely are you to be honest with them?

If by the time they get to my door, they don't know already, I am not about to tell them as I would seriously doubt their reading comprehension

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know people like to talk about how wrong the polls were, but if you’re talking about the numbers they really weren’t all that wrong. What was wrong was the gross overestimation that they predicted a Hillary presidency. I don’t think polls are necessarily a bad way to predict who will win. But people need to understand that what they most accurately predict is who would win if the people they think will vote, actually voted. Trump needs to depend on many of the people represented in the polling, nit to vote. And it looks to be the case so far. The groups these polls expected to vote don’t seem to be voting in the numbers they had anticipated in a lot of key states. If that carries through to election day, Biden could be in trouble. There’s the survey results posted somewhere that said only 6% of Democrats aren’t afraid of their own shadow.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If by the time they get to my door, they don't know already, I am not about to tell them as I would seriously doubt their reading comprehension
    Right. Because pollsters usually walk up to your front door before they call you on the phone. :):

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Right. Because pollsters usually walk up to your front door before they call you on the phone. :):

Well if you ain't in my contact list it doesn't ring.

I will say though the political texting this go around has been horrible.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Nope I certainly missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Di you think that means Trump has changed his position on the 3 exceptions.
    I don't know his history well enough to know if he has even been anti-abortion all along, let alone on those three exceptions.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Not feeling warm or fuzzy reading this, probably because you might be right.

Top Bottom