Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Point one: When I saw this, I had not heard that she’d actually said that.

Point two: I’m not sure how you made the leap to thinking I was in any way defending the little urchin. Which brings me to

Point three: I just want the news cycle to shift and her to STFU.

I’ve heard enough parroted lines and false outrage, and when it comes to Greta, I’d happily strap an anti-barking dog collar to her neck. Turn it down so it doesn’t injure her, just incentivizes silence from her.

Fair enough?

Blessings,
    Bill

Eh. She's 16. Is she really an urchin? ****ed up? Yes. I see her more as a person who is obsessed with climate change, and the crazy elitist ideologues are quite eager to exploit that, because she's saying what they want said. If she didn't have Asperger's, and she was doing all this, then yeah. urchin.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Eh. She's 16. Is she really an urchin? ****ed up? Yes. I see her more as a person who is obsessed with climate change, and the crazy elitist ideologues are quite eager to exploit that, because she's saying what they want said. If she didn't have Asperger's, and she was doing all this, then yeah. urchin.

When you step on an urchin, you have a pain in your foot.

I think we all sat on Greta.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Point one: When I saw this, I had not heard that she’d actually said that.

Point two: I’m not sure how you made the leap to thinking I was in any way defending the little urchin. Which brings me to

Point three: I just want the news cycle to shift and her to STFU.

I’ve heard enough parroted lines and false outrage, and when it comes to Greta, I’d happily strap an anti-barking dog collar to her neck. Turn it down so it doesn’t injure her, just incentivizes silence from her.

Fair enough?

Blessings,
    Bill
    Can you do that last part with a vintage Joe Hunt magneto?

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    46767-einstein-didnt.jpg

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Why are you defending her? She knew exactly what she was saying. There is nothing at all ambivelant about standing people against a wall. That girl is Swedish and her still living (and also famous) grandfather lived through WW2. I promise you she knows perfectly well what comes next when people are stood against a wall.

This is her explanation , "Yesterday I said we must hold our leaders accountable and unfortunately said 'put them against the wall'," she wrote."That's Swenglish: 'att ställa någon mot väggen' (to put someone against the wall) means to hold someone accountable."

I'm going to give the little waif the benefit of the doubt on this one. It's close enough to the English phase, "Put their backs to the wall" when stating you're going to hold someone accountable for their actions. I'm no fan of hers' and I do wish she would just shut up and go away but I also think this has been blown way out of proportion.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is her explanation , "Yesterday I said we must hold our leaders accountable and unfortunately said 'put them against the wall'," she wrote."That's Swenglish: 'att ställa någon mot väggen' (to put someone against the wall) means to hold someone accountable."

I'm going to give the little waif the benefit of the doubt on this one. It's close enough to the English phase, "Put their backs to the wall" when stating you're going to hold someone accountable for their actions. I'm no fan of hers' and I do wish she would just shut up and go away but I also think this has been blown way out of proportion.

Maybe. But explanations like this that come a day later always sound suspiciously like “spin” to me.

“Wellllllllll, what she MEANT to say was....”
    yeah. Sure it is.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Maybe. But explanations like this that come a day later always sound suspiciously like “spin” to me.

yeah. Sure it is.

Grumbly Greta must watch C-SPAN; she seems to be using the Congresscritters’ privilege to “revise and extend (her) remarks”.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

yeah. Sure it is.

Here's the quote from her speech,

""We have to make sure that they cannot do that. We will make sure they, that we put them against the wall, and that they will have to do their job and to protect our futures. It is not fair that the older generation are handing over the responsibility to solve this crisis to us young people who have not started this crisis. It's not fair that we have to do all this."

In the proper context it does take on the meaning of holding them accountable unless their job is to catch lead and bleed. Of course she still sounds like an entitled brat but I believe she wasn't intending on inciting violence of any kind with that line.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What was her explanation for the phony photo op on the train, after the train company outed her?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    What was her explanation for the phony photo op on the train, after the train company outed her?

She didn't have a good one. Something about how happy she was that the train was crowded and wanted to show that people were taking the trains to the point of over crowding instead of driving their cars. She forgot to mention that she had first class tickets for herself and all of her traveling crew. She is turning into quite the little entitled brat.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    New York will be giving license to illegal aliens, resulting in the following exchange:

UwAAlwO.jpg

Serious question: Can anyone explain how licensing an illegal alien driver makes people safer?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    She seems to use English well enough and I can’t think of any other reason to “put someone on a wall.” It’s fair to say she isn’t hanging family pictures. Still, I don’t wish harm to befall people-that’s not who I am. Note that this is not to say that I’ll cry about it happening, I just won’t wish for it.

I am also a believer that Stupid Should Hurt. No permanent damage, just enough pain to make someone think, “Maybe I shouldn’t do that again.”

and I’ve had stupid hurt me when I didn’t think before acting, so it’s equal opportunity pain.

Tom, Thank you for the rep. :-)

Blessings,
    Bill

Well, in English, "put them against the wall" has a totally different meaning than, "put their noses against the wall"...

English is complicated. We can't even agree if "peruse" means to study a text thoroughly or just to lightly skim it. Then there's "quantum leap", "steep learning curve", etc., etc.

If you're into this sort of stuff, then there's a podcast for you, my dear word nerds: https://www.waywordradio.org/

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Serious question: Can anyone explain how licensing an illegal alien driver makes people safer?

I don't know about safety, but one theory I've heard argued, especially in California, an illegal alien with a DL would be able to buy car insurance. This would dramatically cut down on hit-n-runs. Which I've read are over half of all accidents in California.:dunno:

Again, not really any safer, but at least you're not on the hook for damage caused by an illegal with no DL and no insurance.

Assuming an "illegal" immigrant would actually follow such a law is a bit of a stretch for me.:rolleyes:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I don't know about safety, but one theory I've heard argued, especially in California, an illegal alien with a DL would be able to buy car insurance. This would dramatically cut down on hit-n-runs. Which I've read are over half of all accidents in California.:dunno:

Again, not really any safer, but at least you're not on the hook for damage caused by an illegal with no DL and no insurance.

Assuming an "illegal" immigrant would actually follow such a law is a bit of a stretch for me.:rolleyes:

So, the argument is that a person who is willing to break the law to come into the nation illegally will pay substantial money every year to be legal on the road?

Another lie by comrade de Blasio. Understood.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not really. There's plenty of aliens trying to be as legal as possible, and would very much like the "il" dropped from their status.

If only we could stop this impeachment nonsense and get some immigration reform...

So, the argument is that a person who is willing to break the law to come into the nation illegally will pay substantial money every year to be legal on the road?

Another lie by comrade de Blasio. Understood.

Why not? The person may be here, they might even have an ITIN to pay taxes, they might have legal alien family members in the same home...
    Plus, getting busted for driving without insurance and a license is hella expensive and could lead to deportation.

Like I've said, a person willing to risk everything to come to America probably knows the true meaning of the American dream better than most Americans.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Off subject but a very good, obscure movie about a tidal wave that takes out humanity...Peter Weir directed.....Same guy who did Picnic at Hanging Rock.....I liked it but it's hard to find....

[video=youtube;XKvuUDBHipE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvuUDBHipE&t=81s[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom