Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They were probably talking about something completely different and completely legal. You used to be able to, and maybe still can, claim up to 99 dependents on your W4. That does not affect your taxes at all. It merely reduces the amount withheld from your income so you get more of your pay on payday but you still owe the same taxes on April 15th.

Dammit, Janet, I didn't want back... But, so much wrong with this...

If you do what you describe you will be paying penalties.

And illegally claiming non-dependents as a dependent is totally a real thing. Dependents will up the EIC and CTC, but you actually have to provide for your kids, not grandma or someone else.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    democrats-impeach-constitution-flames.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Plus, getting busted for driving without insurance and a license is hella expensive and could lead to deportation.
    You realize these are sanctuary locations that are handing out these drivers licenses, right? They aren't getting deported now without a license, but they would get deported with one?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What was her explanation for the phony photo op on the train, after the train company outed her?
    Not sure she’s made one. There’s not really much she cans say to get out of being caught in a lie. You just ignore it and let the sycophantic press cover for you like AOC does.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, in English, "put them against the wall" has a totally different meaning than, "put their noses against the wall"...

English is complicated. We can't even agree if "peruse" means to study a text thoroughly or just to lightly skim it. Then there's "quantum leap", "steep learning curve", etc., etc.

If you're into this sort of stuff, then there's a podcast for you, my dear word nerds: https://www.waywordradio.org/
    I’m firmly in the “skim camp”. When I use the word that’s how I typically mean it. So if you’re a word nerd, and a presumably strait dude, you’ve probably heard of hotforwords.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think the "dependent" tax game has been going on long before the big influx of illegals. I remember people I worked with who were my age talking about all the money they got by claiming large numbers of dependents. Naive as I was I just expected that the IRS would eventually investigate them, years later when talking about this to my accountant over a beer it produced gales of laughter.

Dammit, Janet, I didn't want back... But, so much wrong with this...
    If you do what you describe you will be paying penalties.
    And illegally claiming non-dependents as a dependent is totally a real thing. Dependents will up the EIC and CTC, but you actually have to provide for your kids, not grandma or someone else.

I'll try one more time. It ain't worth any more than that.
    This is talking about the 'old' days. Nothing to do with EIC or CTC - the W-4 form had no effect on that at all. The W-4 form has changed. Tax laws have changed. Again I am talking about the 'old' days - such as back when you referred to in the first quote that I responded to. None of this applies today since there are new tax laws and a new W-4 form.

Back then a W-4 form was just a tool that only went to the employer. You did not officially "claim" dependents on a W-4, you "claimed" dependents on tax forms like the 1040. The whole purpose of the W-4 was to help the employer figure out how much money to withhold. The employer looked up the numbers in a withholding table. The W-4 form did not even go to the IRS. (except in very, very rare situations where the IRS asked for it for some unknown reason)

You used to use the number of dependents on your W4 to control your withholding amount. I used to put zero a lot of times even though I had dependents because I made enough money and I enjoyed getting a bigger refund in April. Some people would put larger numbers up to 99 because they wanted less withholding. The old W4 was NOT CLAIMING dependents for taxes or anything else, it was just a number only used to look up your withholding in a table. You could change it anytime you wanted during the year if your employer let you, again to adjust your withholding. Many, many old people will remember this. As an example - some people would change their withholding for December if they were expecting a Christmas bonus. Otherwise the bonus would be over-withheld as if you made that much all year. Then they would change their withholding back to whatever they wanted for the rest of the year.

This was a very, very common way to have some control over the withholding from your pay. Changing your withholding did not affect your taxes. You still owe the same taxes on the same income. It merely changed when you paid your taxes - now or later.

In your post - I am suggesting the accountant was laughing at these guys because they were not making any more money at all. They were just defering their tax payments by reducing their withholding and they would owe more money on April 15th.

Now up to today's world. Things are different today, there are different ways to control your withholding. Although you have less control now since the IRS is more invasive than ever and they want their taxes as the money is earned instead of all on April 15th. You would probably get in trouble for putting different numbers on today's W-4.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Standing in the rain gives me a wonderful sense of being drenched in Roman blood as we Celts impaled them upon our lances.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom