• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The judge (bench trial) said that because the evidence couldn't hang the decedents' deaths solely on Brelo, that he couldn't be sure that other officers did not contribute to their deaths, he couldn't find Brelo guilty.

I call BS.

If the decedents had sprang up once immobilized and began firing in self defense to prevent Brelo from killing them, and had thereby prevented their own demise by Brelo's death, he'd have had no problem sending those citizens to the chair for the cold blooded murder of a police officer. Just more benefits of super-citizenship.

Keep those after action reports confusing, incomplete, and mutually contradictory, and you and your friends too can get away with cold blooded murder… as long as you're super-citizens.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The judge (bench trial) said that because the evidence couldn't hang the decedents' deaths solely on Brelo, that he couldn't be sure that other officers did not contribute to their deaths, he couldn't find Brelo guilty.

I call BS.

If the decedents had sprang up once immobilized and began firing in self defense to prevent Brelo from killing them, and had thereby prevented their own demise by Brelo's death, he'd have had no problem sending those citizens to the chair for the cold blooded murder of a police officer. Just more benefits of super-citizenship.

Keep those after action reports confusing, incomplete, and mutually contradictory, and you and your friends too can get away with cold blooded murder… as long as you're super-citizens.
    Absolutely incorrect. There's no 'moral equivalency' in that analogy.

What you're saying in that is if more criminals show up to 'defend' the original criminals, the additional criminals suddenly become 'good guys' and are 'justified' in their actions.

Doesn't work like that.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I call BS.

Some of us "super-citizens" believe the verdict is utter horse****. Not that you would ever consider that whilst lumping us all in to the same steaming pile of excrement that you oh-so-love to spew.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you ever files a report that was deliberately confusing, incomplete, or contradictory of your brother in blue who was right there with you? No? Then clearly, I was not talking about you.

And I still read this decision as the collective can kill you with impunity, because the judge can decide that no one of them fired the fatal, criminal rounds that took your life, while if you as an individual defend yourself with fatal self defense shots into a super-citizen, you'll fry, because there will be no doubt that you, a mere individual citizen, fired those fatal shots.

Collectivisme uber individualisme, mein fuhrer.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If I was a prosecuting attorney on that case, there is no way I would waive it to a bench trial, particularly in a large metro area. Maybe Ohio doesn't allow the state to demand a jury on felony cases, but at least here in Indiana I would definitely want a jury deciding it.

I am curious if the state agreed to have it heard by the bench.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Have you ever files a report that was deliberately confusing, incomplete, or contradictory of your brother in blue who was right there with you? No? Then clearly, I was not talking about you.

And I still read this decision as the collective can kill you with impunity, because the judge can decide that no one of them fired the fatal, criminal rounds that took your life, while if you as an individual defend yourself with fatal self defense shots into a super-citizen, you'll fry, because there will be no doubt that you, a mere individual citizen, fired those fatal shots.

I'm not up on my German, if you could translate.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I was a prosecuting attorney on that case, there is no way I would waive it to a bench trial, particularly in a large metro area. Maybe Ohio doesn't allow the state to demand a jury on felony cases, but at least here in Indiana I would definitely want a jury deciding it.

I am curious if the state agreed to have it heard by the bench.

I didn't realize the prosecutor had control over that aspect. I thought it was up to the defendant and their counsel.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI

^^ Sorry, but that's so far off the deep end, it's hard to believe it was actually written. ^^

This may be a challenge for some to comprehend, but criminals don't get to claim 'self-defense'. :facepalm:

Some folks don't believe there's a difference between LE and civilians, and don't believe there should be. But there is, and that's the reality of it.

If anyone thinks it's any different in other countries, England, Canada, Iran, they're free to move there and try out their theory.

Let us know how that works out.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I didn't realize the prosecutor had control over that aspect. I thought it was up to the defendant and their counsel.
    In Indiana, the state can as assert it's right to a jury trial on all felonies, and at least sometimes on misdemeanors. Not sure about misdemeanors never on the jury calendar.

It is rare for a prosecutor to do so, but I have seen it where a prosecutor feels a judge is not applying the burden of proof correctly, particularly on sex crimes.

This is is one of the rare cases I would think the prosecutor would demand a jury.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Learn something new every day. I suspect there would have been a different verdict had it been a jury trial. Knowing that was a possibility the prosecutor had makes two mistakes as I see it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Some of us "super-citizens" believe the verdict is utter horse****. Not that you would ever consider that whilst lumping us all in to the same steaming pile of excrement that you oh-so-love to spew.

I may not be a "super citizen", but I am a tax-paying, working citizen, and I just wish the "system" WORKED !!!!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I really didn't expect that, although I am not surprised. Oh, well, suck it up and drive on.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A sad day for the reputation of law enforcement and the justice system.

Why should it hurt my reputation?

I can understand being pissed at the officer. I can understand being pissed at the prosecutor. I can understand being pissed at the judge. I cannot understand attempts to hold those who had nothing to do with it responsible.

We've had three officers shot and killed in Indianapolis in the past four years by gun owners. Do you feel partly responsible? Is it reasonable for their actions to impact your reputation?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You're kidding, correct? Name an organization that isn't concerned with its image. If you don't believe that, you are substituting your own reality.

Top Bottom