• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    A little searching around the board will answer the question about rights pertaining to carry and traffic stops. The Indiana Code will pretty well spell it out and I'm sure it's been quoted many times in many threads.

I'm starting to think that common sense and pleasant discussion is antithetical to your idea of what the rest of us are about.

And I'm beginning to think you need reading comprehension training.

There ARE LEO's who comment on this board. Most of the interaction I've noticed has led me to believe that they have better than average intelligence and a modicum of common sense. They have to in order to get through the day dealing with IDIOTS who believe that it's somebody elses fault that they don't understand or want to abide by the law of the land.
    THIS place is not part of their job. Don't hack on them for not solving a problem that YOU have. That isn't their job unless a crime has been committed that involves you. Even then they're supposed to just find the troublemaker. Not string him up on the nearest oak.:dunno:
    So if asking a question shows a persons lack of common sense, then this whole board is offed. Probably 90% of threads are of people asking questions. I was always taught, the only stupid question was the one not asked.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I`m talking about some of the other threads where people are being detained illegally. With illegal vehicle searches and wether or not to exit your vehicle on command. I would just like to hear what they have to say.

I decline to comment on these post for several reasons. First reason being I'm only hearing one side of the story, and we all know that there are ALWAYS two sides to every story. Second reason being I know alot of officers and none of them are illegally detaining and searching people and their vehicle/property.

I am very supportive of sheepdog civilians who chose to carry a weapon legally for personal protection and protection of their family. Also fairly often you hear of stories where an armed civilian steps in and saves a stranger from a violent attack or foils a robbery or other crime.

But out on the streets when officers are dealing with perfect strangers, some officer safety steps must be taken. That being said I do not make a habit out of taking guns off of people during a traffic stops for an infraction violation if they have their LTCH and drivers license as the law requires as long as they are being cooperative. HOWEVER, if the contact with the person is due to an altercation or dispute of any nature where emotions are high yes then I may place a persons gun in a safe place until the situation is resolved.

OR....

if a traffic stop is due to suspicious activity or I suspect that the driver may be intoxicated then that makes a different situation.

But in reality there are so many situations with differnt circumstances it is hard to say what you are going to do everytime. Most LEOs are good people doing a job they love beacause they want to make a difference, then there are a few ****heads who are either corrupt or in it for the wrong reason and they make the rest of us look bad.

So that is my :twocents: worth. Let the bashing begin!

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    There is a difference between being stopped for some type of violatiom or offence and doing nothing more than exercising the right to carry in a public setting.

You are right but have you ever heard the phrase that "a quiet answer turns away wrath" that quiet answer also has to be accompanied by body language. I am not stipulating that you allow your rights to be trampled, far from it, but let your body language and speech show that you are not hostile towards their ignorance and you will be surprised as to how fast the LEO's can turn down their own rhetoric. Stand up for your rights but don't stand up for them like a child throwing a tantrum. Keep your voice low and speak softly and I guarantee that most of the time the LEO will have a meaningful conversation. But most of the audio I have heard that people have recorded in their pocket recorders their tone is not the tone that deescalates a situation.
    So yes the action that you should take for an unlawful stop and for a lawful stop should be the same.
    And when your rights are violated call the ACLU, The NRA and everyone else and file with the courts. (Right are rights and the ACLU has been forced to get involved in gun lawsuits or they will fully expose their liberal agenda)

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I believe the "most dangerous jobs" statistics only record the fatalities. So, the officers wounded by shootings, stabbings, fistfights, etc. aren't factored into those numbers. I could be wrong as I haven't fully researched it. I have also lost friends and have seen MANY injured throughout the years. But if our numbers don't make the top 10 list.... I won't be crying about it ;)

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I believe the "most dangerous jobs" statistics only record the fatalities. So, the officers wounded by shootings, stabbings, fistfights, etc. aren't factored into those numbers. I could be wrong as I haven't fully researched it. I have also lost friends and have seen MANY injured throughout the years. But if our numbers don't make the top 10 list.... I won't be crying about it ;)

If that is the case, then it would also not have the same type data on any other profession, no? Oil rigger thumbs don't count :)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If that is the case, then it would also not have the same type data on any other profession, no? Oil rigger thumbs don't count :)

Acts of Nature (or "God" to some) are quite different than active human aggression. I guess Iraq/Afghanistan is not dangerous at all. Being a soldier is a profession, guess it didn't make the list. Until you have to fight a man that wants to get away bad enough that they try to hurt you, you really know :poop:. I watch Deadliest Catch and admire greatly those guys. They work hard with high risks. But it is not the same as someone trying to kill/hurt you and doing so close enough that you can smell their breath. But how would you know huh? Computer life is pretty sterile.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I will need to view your collection some time. A little birdy called me this evening. Sigh, only if I had more extra cash right now...
    You can always dip into some of that graft money that we're all supposed to take from the crooks and traffic offenders that we let off. :D

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There are several positions in the workforce that meet this criteria, being LEO is not so special.
    FYI, a truck driver's job is more dangerous than being a LEO...

Dangerous Jobs Reference. Compare reviews & ratings.

If you are an educated person, then you would know about the wonderful world of "statistics". How they can be turned to fit any need. Such as fatalities per thousand people working. Did your statistics mention the number of people just injured on the job itself. I feel that we keep OSHA busy enough with just our paperwork alone. I could rattle off a dozen that I have done this month but for privacy, I can't.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    If you are an educated person, then you would know about the wonderful world of "statistics". How they can be turned to fit any need. Such as fatalities per thousand people working. Did your statistics mention the number of people just injured on the job itself. I feel that we keep OSHA busy enough with just our paperwork alone. I could rattle off a dozen that I have done this month but for privacy, I can't.

My post from earlier...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't understand why it is significant that professional russian roulette players or some other occupation has a higher death or injury rate than police officers. None of the other categories are injured while trying to protect their communities from criminals.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Well it's good to know that there are still some people on here that support the boys in blue! It's like any other profession out there, of course there are going to be a few bad apples in every bunch. If i had a bad interaction with someone in your profession and then i turned around and bashed you for it i'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being lumped into one group either. I assure you that 99% of the LEO's out there don't go to work with the intention of violating your rights. They're people too, and they like the constitution just as much as you do. It is true that some cops get into the work for the power trip and all the things that are associated with that. However, the majority believe in the oath that they took to serve and protect and just remember that they would be willing to sacrifice their lives to save your sorry, unappreciative ass in an instant.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Sorry, got in late, only read to page 4...

For those of you who stand by us, as I yell from the top of a mountain...

THANK YOU.

I also took an oath to uphold the laws of this nation, and this state. I have been doing so for thirty years and counting.

As one or more have asked in one form or another phrased "how should we answer questions?" My one and only reply is: Truthfully.

Remember, we're the ones that have to sift through some BS to find the nuggets of truth. We encourage help in that regard.

I certainly hope that none of you have to defend yourselves with deadly force. It may be a life changing event. Real life is not portrayed in the movies, nor from the Indiana Criminal Statutes. A real life criminal investigation is nothing at all like TV. Count on it. Have an attorney on speed dial if necessary. Oh, and the most obvious...

We know everyone has rights. We'll read them to you if you would like.

Be well.

Top Bottom