• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    I treat everyone I meet with dignity and common courtesy. Respect is earned, not given freely. I have very few individuals that I respect. As I haven't met everyone yet, that list will probably grow somewhat. There are LEO's that I respect, others I do not. There are engineers I respect, others I do not. If the actions of an individual should not reflect negatively on a group, neither should merely donning the same attire confer positive accolades either.

Respectfully disagree!
    I think that there are varying degrees of respect. I only have a few people that I respect deeply,My dad, my pastor, etc.. but I have a general respect for everyone that I meet, regardless of creed, color, or religion. I give more respect to those that put their tails on the line daily to do the job that the majority of us would not even begin to want to do. And until they betray that trust and respect they should be given.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    I suggest that a brave attorney specializing in the area of Indiana Gun Law ask the mod to start an area to state each law and interperet. This could give us newbies some idea of direction rather than opinion.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Respectfully disagree!
    I think that there are varying degrees of respect. I only have a few people that I respect deeply,My dad, my pastor, etc.. but I have a general respect for everyone that I meet, regardless of creed, color, or religion. I give more respect to those that put their tails on the line daily to do the job that the majority of us would not even begin to want to do. And until they betray that trust and respect they should be given.

There are several positions in the workforce that meet this criteria, being LEO is not so special.
    FYI, a truck driver's job is more dangerous than being a LEO...

Dangerous Jobs Reference. Compare reviews & ratings.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Oh, yeah. I forgot... I would like to thank all the LEO's on this forum for stepping up and speaking out. I firmly believe those who bash LEO's are the one's mostly violating the law. If you have a situation where a LEO violated your rights, I'm sure you can take legal action. It serves no good to bash on this forum. Remember, you may need a good officer at your side one day!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I suggest that a brave attorney specializing in the area of Indiana Gun Law ask the mod to start an area to state each law and interperet. This could give us newbies some idea of direction rather than opinion.

Actually we have several attorneys that post pretty often and most topics have been discussed at one time or another. I would suggest trying out the Search function.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Actually we have several attorneys that post pretty often and most topics have been discussed at one time or another. I would suggest trying out the Search function.

I agree, and I will if I have a particular question. I merely thought that it would be unique to see the full Indiana code (gun related) with interpretation that we could reference. Maybe a "sticky"?:dunno:

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Respectfully disagree!
    I believe we simply have different definitions of the word.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There are several positions in the workforce that meet this criteria, being LEO is not so special.
    FYI, a truck driver's job is more dangerous than being a LEO...

Dangerous Jobs Reference. Compare reviews & ratings.

Respectfully disagree. When was the last time a truck diver walked into a domestic fight. Whane was the last time he made a shots fired run. When was the last time he had to wrestle a drunk or place hands on a person who cut themselves while trying to committ suicide. When was the last time a truck driver pulled their weapon in self defense. Each one of these I did within the last two weeks. I know poor me. If you don't know anything about the job, just say so.

One of the people placed a response "why would a police officer want to be on this site". Mr. Liberal, I have wondered about that myself.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Respectfully disagree. When was the last time a truck diver walked into a domestic fight. Whane was the last time he made a shots fired run. When was the last time he had to wrestle a drunk or place hands on a person who cut themselves while trying to committ suicide. When was the last time a truck driver pulled their weapon in self defense. Each one of these I did within the last two weeks. I know poor me. If you don't know anything about the job, just say so.

One of the people placed a response "why would a police officer want to be on this site". Mr. Liberal, I have wondered about that myself.

So, did you injure yourself during any of those duties?
    Statistics don't lie...LEO isn't even in the top 10.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Yep, perception can run rampant on the interwebz and media.
    Facts have a way of setting the record straight.

HOWEVER, our injury and death rate has drastically reduced in the last 20 years due to an increase in safety measures not due to the reduction in the inherent job dangers. Not just anyone can pass the rigorous testing and training to be a LEO/FF. The training far surpasses the training that your truck driver will go through in his early career. IF truck drivers did the defensive driving courses and vehicle safety certifications that we and our trucks went through, their job would not be as dangerous as it is. And the same can be said for so many of the other jobs on the top ten lists. (maybe not all but for a good number)
    I am sure I am not going to change your mind on this idea so I will let it go at this. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion, mine is that LEO's are out there doing one of the most thankless jobs. I respect them for that.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana

I have to agree and disagree with part of this.
    Data obtained in a fair, honest and scientific manner and within the generally accepted practices are generally accurate.
    However the statistics that are derived from the data is generally dependent on the individual person's motivation for creating the statistic. And what segments of the data they discard can flaw the statistic.

But if statistics don't lie, then the stats the gun grabbers throw out to the media, congress and general public must be true on how dangerous firearms are to the general health of society.... correct?
    I believe most of us here view those statistics as suspect in their validity.
    Statistics, pictures, internet and all people can lie. :twocents:

Stay safe

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

We just had this conversation LAST month...ugh. Those stats are nationwide. Injury/death is VERY department specific. Some departments will never see an officer killed or seriously injure in the line of duty. Some see it more often. So looking at numbers is all but worthless. I have been an LEO for about 15yrs. IN that time I have had 3 friends/co workers shot to death at work. I have one friend shot in the head, losing the front part of his brain. I have had one friend shot in the head, causing him to lose an eye. I have another friend shot in the chest, his vest saved his life. Another took birdshot to the body. I have one friend take a shot to the pelvis. This is just the guys that are my friends from my department that were assaulted with guns. I have lost count of the number of guys killed in crashes, or seriously hurt in crashes. Or the shear number of broken bones and teeth from fights with suspects. Or how many co-workers end up medically retiring from their injuries. Strangely, I don't recall very many assaults with knives. We did have one guy stabbed in the eye with a corn husk. Or how many have killed themselves, the latest of which was ANOTHER friend that I really liked. So don't give me that BS load of crap that the mailman has a more dangerous job than I. I have been to way too many funerals and hospitals to know better. It's utter CRAP.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Attitude means alot when dealing with LEOs. I was taught to be polite and respectful when dealing with others (including LEOs) and you will usually get back the same. I'm man enough if I'm caught doing something wrong I admit it. And whether I slide by with just a warning or get a ticket, I always shake the hand of the officer and thank them for doing their job.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why not thank everyone for what they do? They are all chosen professions, no? I see no reason to provide special thanks to any one type of job. I'm sure anyone working any type of job would appreciate thanks.

Because most jobs don't involve attempting to protect me and other members of the public. If I get good service somewhere I will thank that person. Why would I walk around thanking miscellaneous other people. Cops are putting their lives on the line protecting their community. If you don't see the difference in that :n00b:

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Attitude means alot when dealing with LEOs. I was taught to be polite and respectful when dealing with others (including LEOs) and you will usually get back the same. I'm man enough if I'm caught doing something wrong I admit it. And whether I slide by with just a warning or get a ticket, I always shake the hand of the officer and thank them for doing their job.

There is a difference between being stopped for some type of violatiom or offence and doing nothing more than exercising the right to carry in a public setting.

Top Bottom