• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I've asked some of the active duty LEO's that I know to join INGO. Not a single one has taken me up on my offer.
    The reasons given for not wanting to join here were summarized by one Officer: "I can be called names anytime I'm on the job. Why go somewhere like that when I'm off duty and get the same treatment?"

Makes you think twice about putting an INGO sticker on your vehicle window. ;)

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I worked as a firefighter and EMT for three years to help pay for college. I worked closely with police officers/sheriff's deputies and I have nothing but respect for them. Like any profession, they have some numbskulls who join their ranks. That shouldn't detract from the overall fact that they are men and women who put their lives on the line for the rest of us. I can't imagine being an LEO and joining INGO only to see the hostility some members have toward them.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Sometimes they DO comment. Sometimes they don't. Frankly, with the amount of cop-hating on INGO, I'm surprised any of them comment at all.

Agreed! We need to stop seeing every cop as the enemy. Most are good, solid well-grounded professionals. There is the occasional jerk in every job, but the good one's advice on these threads (not as representatives of their departments but as professionals who work in the field) would be invaluable to us as a resource if we treated them with respect.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've asked some of the active duty LEO's that I know to join INGO. Not a single one has taken me up on my offer.
    The reasons given for not wanting to join here were summarized by one Officer: "I can be called names anytime I'm on the job. Why go somewhere like that when I'm off duty and get the same treatment?"

That's the basic response I've gotten from any of my coworkers that I've asked if they've heard of INGO.

To be honest, I have yet to ask anyone that I know (non-LE, I don't hang around with cops outside of work) about INGO that hasn't given me the "Oh, that paranoid gun nut forum? I signed up and posted twice, but wasn't worth my time" type of answer.

It's unfortunate because this forum is pretty good. I have thick skin and can take a lot. If you see me being rude on here, I'm just returning the same sentiments I'm getting (or my crass sense of humor and sarcasm isn't translating too well to print).

I'd venture to say I'd get along with a lot of the members here in person, even some of the anti-LEO ones.

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    It's sad that there are so many people--some on here--who have no critical thinking ability. They have a bad experience (or chip on their shoulder) and paint every LEO with the same broad brush. If they do have a run in with the law their attitude is to look for anything that they can turn into a negative just to bolster their preconceived notion.
    Honestly, I'm thinking of starting a LEO appreciation thread so that people can relate the good experiences they've had with cops just to balance out the perspectives on this forum.

In fact, I'll tell you some good experiences that happened to me.

Two of them involved traffic or accident stops when I informed the officer I had a gun and a permit. In one instance the officer asked where it was and I said in my coat pocket. He said OK just leave it there and that was it. In the other instance I informed the officer that I was armed and had a LTCH and he looked at me for a moment and then went on with business as usual. No comment, no question. And in case you're wondering why I informed either of them it was because I chose to let them know ahead of time out of respect and I think they appreciated that.

Another time was before I got my gun or my LTCH and asked two different officers what they thought about it. Both encouraged me to get one and only asked that I made sure to understand the law and responsibility of getting one. One of the officers even gave me advice on what he thought was the best weapon for me to get and how to carry it concealed. Understand that I did not personally know any of these officers. These instances were all in Anderson.

Bottom line, if you've got a bad attitude expect to have it given back to you.
    Cops have very high stress jobs where they don't know for sure they're going to be going home that night. I doubt if many of us have that same worry. And it is only smart to treat someone in authority with respect anyway unless you're just chronically stupid.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Thanks all for the kind words, and also reps.

My one and only concern is this: the major decision here is not whether one is or is not a police officer. Hey, I've got broad shoulders, and I'm not even close to being politically correct. I'll even admit at times that I'm an AJO (look that one up in the glossary or PM me for a definition) and I freely admit it. Am I perfect? Not by a long shot. But I have made the decision many, many years ago NOT TO BE A VICTIM.

That is what is important. If one decides not to be a victim, the next logical choice is arming oneself. Not for offense, but for defense. If I arm myself for offense, I'll be toting my Jeff Cooper Steyr Scout Rifle.

I also understand and agree with others that they too have decided not to be a victim. So be it. I don't hassle with nor screw with law abiding citizens for the sheer "fun of it." My job is to find facts. I'll be more than willing to help when I hear and verify the truth. As much as I hate to admit it at times, I relish putting the screws to criminals. They deserve it. And, I'm not talking about jaywalkers, either.

Everyone (minus the lawbreaking felons) has a right and a duty to protect themselves from felonious assault. The criminals should be paid back with interest.

Top Bottom