• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Your lucky then. Anyone that runs and are caught by me will have a weapon drawn on them. I think most any officer will agree.

I my case I came around a curve and a cop standing on the side of the road flagged me down and I stopped, was sitting there when the cop behind me pulled up and dragged me out of my car while the other cop was yelling at him to stop, I was running about 135-140 but wasn't really trying to flee, the second cops action were the reason the prosecutor declined to press charges against me and nether cop wrote me a ticket so other then 12 hours in a cell I got off.

I had no idea that their was a cop behind me.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I my case I came around a curve and a cop standing on the side of the road flagged me down and I stopped, was sitting there when the cop behind me pulled up and dragged me out of my car while the other cop was yelling at him to stop, I was running about 135-140 but wasn't really trying to flee, the second cops action were the reason the prosecutor declined to press charges against me and nether cop wrote me a ticket so other then 12 hours in a cell I got off.

I can see how it could happen that way.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My problem is with him not identifying himself before he says, get off the bike.

Understand...but put yourself in the officers position. If the guy had done something worse that what he had done would you really be that concerned about a badge first. Often times those type things are going down real FAST.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Understand...but put yourself in the officers position. If the guy had done something worse that what he had done would you really be that concerned about a badge first. Often times those type things are going down real FAST.

I get the real FAST, but if he had done something worse why would he holster his gun why the guy was still on the bike and taking off his gloves.

And shouldn't the first thing out of his mouth been State Police, then said turn off the bike?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    If I were the motorcyclist in this video and I was carrying a sidearm, I would definitely NOT have drawn it because I would know that I was GUILTY of breaking the law and would be expecting the police. The fact that the officer did not show his badge is bad practice on his part, but if I were the motorcyclist I would have believed him knowing that what I was doing was going to bring me big legal trouble.

What I find really troubling is the news that a citizen video taping a traffic stop is a crime in Maryland. This is outrageous.

Terry

8 pages of posts and the new guy has the most sensilbe post I have found so far.

*Edit - I guess not so new. Redskinsfan has a join date of 2008. Just low number of posts. My bad.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I get the real FAST, but if he had done something worse why would he holster his gun why the guy was still on the bike and taking off his gloves.

And shouldn't the first thing out of his mouth been State Police, then said turn off the bike?

Fairly simple... when the cop first got out of his car he didn't know what he was dealing with, so he got his gun out. Didn't stick it in the guy's face, didn't clobber him, just got out and had his gun by his side in case the guy turned out to be a knucklehead. He quickly evaluated the situation and decided the gun wasn't needed, and reholstered. Gun was out for all of about 7 seconds.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    way extreme for the gun to be drawn and the police officer is asking to get shot with by waitning so long to say state police. that is the very first thing he should of said along with producing a badge.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I would be curious to know how long the marked cruiser was behind the motorcycle rider before he decided to stop. Plus, I would be curious if the unmarked vehicle (grey sedan w/ dark tint) had its emergency lights on when pursuing the motorcycle as well.

The marked cruiser was immediately behind the motorcycle by the time he stopped, which leads me to believe the marked cruiser was visible to the motorcyclist well before he pulled over.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm still looking for the original video link...hate getting old. As for the drawn gun. What if this was a "traditional" felony stop where we are behind the doors of our vehicle with our guns drawn, and on the PA directing the occupants out of the car. We do those all the time. Now if the car drives off suddenly do we shoot since we have our guns already out? NO. We have our guns drawn to give us a sliver of a chance if the SHTF. Same with a foot chase. The person hides and we find them, we will have our pistols drawn until he/she is in custody. That does not mean that we will shoot them to stop them running if they take off again. (we do not run with them drawn however). We draw them in situations that are likely to go bad quickly and we are preparing for it. As a side note, if you have a friend see if you can re-create a demo that I was shown in my combatives class. We did this demo 2 times with different people and the result was the same, and eye opening to say the least.
    Demonstration: 2 people stand facing each other about 15ft apart. One will be the "bad guy" and one will be the "good guy". The good guy will have his hand/arm up and pointed like a pistol at the bad guy (no real guns please ;)) like he is taking him into custody. The bad guy will have his arm/hand down at his side but in the shape of a gun (simulate a gun in hand but down at his side). Now, the bad guy will raise his pistol and yell "bang". The good guy will do the same in response to the perceived threat. Who will get the first shot off? The bad guy. Action will always be quicker than reaction. Even with our pistols out, we will be at a tactical disadvantage because we can only react based on the offenders action. Now there was no pistol involved in the video but drawing a pistol based on the likelihood of the driver fleeing is not unusual.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Your lucky then. Anyone that runs and are caught by me will have a weapon drawn on them. I think most any officer will agree.

I actually think that police officers should go to jail for pulling a gun on an unarmed person.

If any of us did that, you'd take us to jail, but somehow, police are allowed to use a gun as a negotiation tool while we'd go to jail, probably for a felony, for the same thing.

Trying to use a gun as a negotiation tool can never go well anyway. What are you going to do if he tries to ride away? Shoot him? I highly doubt it.

It is bad tactics to have a gun in your hand unless you're going to be able to use it. I'd love to see some statistics on how many of these so-called "felony stops" result in bad things happening to police officers.

I guess they never taught you that the safest place for your gun is in your holster, that you're taking a risk every single time you draw it, and combined with the fact that most dead cops were shot with their own gun, to think wisely before drawing down.

But then again, I don't see this changing anytime soon, and it's not like I have much sympathy to someone who runs from the cops. But drawing a gun on someone when you have no intention of ever pulling the trigger intentionally sounds like the beginnings of a bad shoot every time it happens.

Then again, it's pretty rare to see them rule something a "bad shoot" even when the evidence is overwhelming that it is.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I actually think that police officers should go to jail for pulling a gun on an unarmed person.
    Well I guess we are all glad you do not decide such things. Thanks for your OPINION though.

If any of us did that, you'd take us to jail, but somehow, police are allowed to use a gun as a negotiation tool while we'd go to jail, probably for a felony, for the same thing.
    IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

How do the PO's know the person they are investigating and/or making contact with is unarmed?

If a suspect flees from a traffic stop or encounter with a PO, there is likely a good reason for such. So why would an officer not be cautious when approaching this fleeing suspect?

On the rare occasion when I watch COPS on TV, I'm always amazed at the number of people who run "because I was scared of the police" or who run "because I don't have a license"...then, when apprehended and searched, out comes the dope, stolen property and/or guns on their person.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :+1:

When the guy on the bike turned around he could have been reaching
    for a weapon. The officer should have plugged him and paralyzed him in the least. :yesway:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Fairly simple... when the cop first got out of his car he didn't know what he was dealing with, so he got his gun out. Didn't stick it in the guy's face, didn't clobber him, just got out and had his gun by his side in case the guy turned out to be a knucklehead. He quickly evaluated the situation and decided the gun wasn't needed, and reholstered. Gun was out for all of about 7 seconds.

right hand on gun, left hand holding up badge would have made MUCH more sense to me :twocents:

I see a guy with a gun coming out of a regular car, my reaction is completely different.

I am glad he at least came out of the car saying "State Police"

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Well I guess we are all glad you do not decide such things. Thanks for your OPINION though.

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

someone needs a nap. or you could just go out, pull you gun on say, a speeder, they seem to be easy to find nowadays, and see what happens if your lucky, then say IC 35-47-4-3(a) when it goes your way, and the other...well.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    Why didn't the cop just use the pitman maneuver and flip the cyclist into the ditch?

If it was a bike jacking, I would have waited for the guy to try and get on the bike, then shoot him. Probably would have to clean it though. Either way the cop shouldn't have drawn first.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010

Thus the phrase, "You can beat the wrap, but not the ride."

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    There are several different videos of this on the Net, including one of a TV News report with an interview of the rider and someone representing the cops. The guy was just speeding. The 1st Trooper was sitting in the median when the bike zoomed by and he gave chase. The 2nd cop, in the unmarked car was just driving along and when the bike passed him he gave chase. If he had known about it he could have easily pulled into the bikes path or tried to have block him. The guy was ticketed for Speeding @ 80MPH and released. The poop storm started later after he posted the video on YouTube. That posting in the People's Republic of Maryland is illegal. His home was raided, computers confiscated and he was arrested for the video posting. When the News showed the video in their broadcast the cops were blurred out, Lol. I guess it's worse filming cops pulling guns on speeders than speeding and pulling guns on citizens.

Top Bottom