• ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You have ruined the Olympics for me. :tantrum:
    I wasn't all that hyped up on it until I realized how much misery Doggydaddy is in. Since I am somewhat of a captive audience....well misery loves company.

Suddenly, this has become my favorite Olympics of all time.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I watched the second half. And Yes, that was a fantastic game!

Is USA vs GER basketball?
    nah Womens soccer.

Women's Rugby is more entertaining....but Wife played soccer in high school so for now I can commiserate with Doggydaddy crying in his Cheerios for the evening news :(

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why doesn't the USA sweep all the medals in every sport that contains the words "pistol" or "rifle" or involves shooting anything? Maybe not the Biathlon, that's more skiing than shooting.
    Well it is S Korea and India....sitting there with China and N Korea.

All we have to worry about is Canada and they are disarming faster than we are.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well it is S Korea and India....sitting there with China and N Korea.

All we have to worry about is Canada and they are disarming faster than we are.
    The RoK has a ridiculously low privately-owned firearms rate (1.1/100 IIRC) With the norks to the north and conscription you'd think there would be a lot more.

Not worried about going to war with Mexico. The drug cartels are a different story.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why doesn't the USA sweep all the medals in every sport that contains the words "pistol" or "rifle" or involves shooting anything? Maybe not the Biathlon, that's more skiing than shooting.
    Olympic shooting is very different from regular shooting.
    There's a huge gun culture in the US but I don't think many people practice Olympic style shooting.
    Most of it is not done with firearms but with air pistols so even in countries where you cannot own firearms (most countries) they can still practice that sport.

I did 10 meter air pistol shooting in college. I'm not sure if it's popular in the US.
    They are not technically firearms. They have ZERO recoil and a air trigger.

main-qimg-ff716f0b43ecf504d7c4373acb39767b-lq

We had access to a proper gun range to do that. Couldn't do that on campus. Part of it was for air pistol shooting only.
    Our shooting instructor also had access to actual firearms and our facility had a 25 meters range as well.
    We mostly used 9mm pistols and .22 revolver for that distance.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Break Dancing? I didn't know that had even been a thing in the last 30 years, let alone a sport.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Air pistols are used only for 10 meters.
    For 25 meter they use .22 pistols.

Hammerli.jpg

Those are considered firearms in most countries.
    I heard that even the UK's Olympics team had to come to France to train since pistols are almost impossible to own in the UK.

With how quickly the games became woke I'm surprised they still use actual firearms for some events.

In the past they had real shooting events such as "300 meter military rifle" and "20 meter military pistol". That was back in 1908 in England!

Fifteen shots were fired at each of six distances: 200, 500, 600, 800, 900, and 1000 yds 1,000 yards (910 m) (based on traditional military rifle range distances in English speaking countries). A bulls-eye counted for five points, and thus the highest possible score for each shooter was 450 points, with the team maximum being 2700.

Each shooter was required to use his nation's official military rifle

The American team won the gold medal.

Imagine doing events like that today with actual military rifles.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw that resemblance.

Wife mentioned he could use a bra. Must be cold there.

There are days I regret having a 65" TV and am ready to go back to 40"
    Uber Super Duper High Definition and a huge screen has it's downsides. This could be cross-posted in the First World Problems thread.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Break Dancing? I didn't know that had even been a thing in the last 30 years, let alone a sport.
    IKR Haven't seen that since the 1980's.

They used to have art competitions until 1948, with music and painting events.

If they decide to bring hot dog eating contest or origami then it will become an Olympic sport.

The definition of sport is very vague anyway ...
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Flipping through the channels, saw NBC had Women's Beach Volleyball advertised, so I stopped out of curiosity. Leave it to the Olympics to make it look exactly like Women's soccer. The only nets were the goals, and there wasn't even any sand. The court was huge though. About the size of a soccer pitch. Weird.

Top Bottom