Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    SE-I have been watching from a distance to see what direction this whole thing would take. I'm convinced that you are doing everything within your ability to do this right. You are to be congratulated--it's like herding cats, isn't it? I am now ready to fully support you and participate in the walk. You asked for suggestions on the message and here's mine: KISS! My recommendation is to focus on constitutionally guaranteed rights with a twist. Nearly everyone has heard of the 2A in the U.S. Constitution and the fact that certain factions in our society are attempting to confuse, obfuscate and make contoversial it's simple meaning. What most Hoosiers don't know is that the law of our land (the constitution of the State of Indiana) explicitly guarantees the RKBA for personal defense. I believe our local constitutional guarantees should be the focus of our message. I have pasted the language of the constitution below and also included the section on Peaceable Assembly which, coincidentally (maybe not?) is immediately followed by RKBA. Anyway, let me know how I can help.

Section 31. Right of assemblage and petition

Section 31. No law shall restrain any of the inhabitants of the State from assembling together in a peaceable manner, to consult for their common good; nor from instructing their representatives; nor from applying to the General Assembly for redress of grievances.

Section 32. Arms--Right to bear

Section 32. The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

How many Hoosiers do you think are aware of this?

Last edited:

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And regarding the issue of whether or not signs are allowed, try this constitutional guarantee on for size:

Section 9. Freedom of thought and speech

Section 9. No law shall be passed, restraining the free interchange of thought and opinion, or restricting the right to speak, write, or print, freely, on any subject whatever: but for the abuse of that right, every person shall be responsible.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Only a few. Maybe 4 at the most. We don't want to look like a demonstration so the signs must be educational in nature.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    SE,
    Since you're going to be doing this in Marion County it might help to leave your signs at home. It's now illegal to hold up signs within 50' of any intersection in the county. Not saying that the cops are going to arrest you, but it could well be the case, given the new law the council passed. Yeah, it was intended to keep panhandlers at bay, but the way it's written it can be applied to political speech, as well. Just a heads up.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE,
    Since you're going to be doing this in Marion County it might help to leave your signs at home. It's now illegal to hold up signs within 50' of any intersection in the county. Not saying that the cops are going to arrest you, but it could well be the case, given the new law the council passed. Yeah, it was intended to keep panhandlers at bay, but the way it's written it can be applied to political speech, as well. Just a heads up.

Anyone got a link to the legislation? I'd like to look it over.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's a link to the .pdf of the bill as passed. Here's a relevant sample for you.
    Sec. 431-702. Prohibited activity in around roadways.

It shall be unlawful for a pedestrian to sit, stand or move within or upon a roadway, or a median
    between two (2) roadways, or within the public right-of-way not exceeding fifty (50) feet from the traveled
    portion of any intersection controlled by an automatic traffic signal or stop sign, for the purpose of or while
    engaged in (by oral or written methods):

(1) Soliciting, or peddling, selling, advertising, donating, or distributing any product, property, or service,
    including but not limited to tickets, handbills, newspapers, or other printed material, to or from an
    occupant of a vehicle in the roadway; or,

(2) Conversation or discourse with an occupant of a vehicle in the roadway.
    Much more in the .pdf

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Here's a link to the .pdf of the bill as passed. Here's a relevant sample for you.
    Much more in the .pdf

It doesn't say anything that's really relevant to the walk. The only thing that comes close would be...

Soliciting, or peddling, selling, advertising, donating, or distributing any product, property, or service,
    including but not limited to tickets, handbills, newspapers, or other printed material, to or from an
    occupant of a vehicle in the roadway; or,

So really, as long as we aren't handing out anything to anyone in their cars as they drive by or sitting at a stoplight/sign, we would be ok.

I'll read through more of it in a bit.

Even if the Mayor had signed it, it won't take effect before the Walk happens so again, we don't have anything to worry about.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hope it doesn't happen before the walk. As I read it, it would also affect your ability to hand out fliers, as well. If you're going to be on the Circle...well, shoot. That's all intersection.

Top Bottom